PDA

View Full Version : Power supply help with charging times?

woodster
08-30-2012, 12:56 AM
I've never used one before, but I'm curious do these help with charging lipo batteries faster? Or what is the purpose? I've always just plugged my charger into the wall socket but it takes forever to charge my 4S and 5S lipos. Any help out there with this? Thanks! :patriot:

wade7575
08-30-2012, 05:59 PM
It all depend's on the Charger your using.

For example if you have a AC/DC Charger that has a 50 Watt PowerSupply built in and the Charger say's it can Charge your Pack's at 5 Amp's you will olny be to charge your pack's at 5 Amp's if you are using a DC PowerSupply or Charging off a Car Battery.
The would be true if you had a Charger that had a 10 Amp Charge Rate with a 50 Watt built in PowerSupply you are olny going to get 5 Amp's if you plug the Charger into the wall,the reason this is done is to save money as the more powerful the built in PowerSupply the more the Charger will cost.

It is alway's a good idea to look at the PowerSupply that is built into an AC/DC Charger because if it does not have a 100 Watt PowerSupply Built in it will not let you Charge at the Maxium Rate if you need to Charge your Pack's really fast.

woodster
08-31-2012, 01:21 AM
It all depend's on the Charger your using.

For example if you have a AC/DC Charger that has a 50 Watt PowerSupply built in and the Charger say's it can Charge your Pack's at 5 Amp's you will olny be to charge your pack's at 5 Amp's if you are using a DC PowerSupply or Charging off a Car Battery.
The would be true if you had a Charger that had a 10 Amp Charge Rate with a 50 Watt built in PowerSupply you are olny going to get 5 Amp's if you plug the Charger into the wall,the reason this is done is to save money as the more powerful the built in PowerSupply the more the Charger will cost.

It is alway's a good idea to look at the PowerSupply that is built into an AC/DC Charger because if it does not have a 100 Watt PowerSupply Built in it will not let you Charge at the Maxium Rate if you need to Charge your Pack's really fast.

Gotcha. So I need to check out my charger and go from there? Thanks

wade7575
08-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Yes do that if Faster Charge Rate's are what your after,also another way to look at it is if the built in PowerSupply is an 80 Watt and the Charger say's a Max 10 Amp Rate then if you plugged the charger into a wall outlet then the Max you could Charge your Packs at would be 8 Amp's.

Also a cheap way to make a PowerSupply is to Convert an old PC PowerSupply,it will tell you how many Amp's it put's out on the 12 Volt Rail and use this guy's guide as it's the best way to Convert one,also you can install more binder post's if you want to run more then one charger off it just join the ends of red binder post with wire or thick copper plate and the join all the blacks together as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8GoFUwDM4M

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5680951/tm.htm

LiPo Power
08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Or if you need one that is made and ready to use you can get it here:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?34934-POWER-SUPPLY-47-AMP-by-HP&highlight=

Cheers
Robert