PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for stock motor and ESC - 4s vs 5s

kayakrc
08-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Has anyone used the stock with 5s Lipo? Reading the manual for the PRB3309, both the motor and ESC are rated at 21volts, 45 amps. Had a long chat with someone at Horizon. They said to use 2x2s or 1x4s batteries. Kind of does not make sense that if the ESC is rated at 21 volts, why not use a 5s Lipo? However, they said that you could use NiMh batteries of the same voltage as a 5s Lipo.....

Thanks for any help with clarifying this for me.

Diesel6401
08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Has anyone used the stock with 5s Lipo? Reading the manual for the PRB3309, both the motor and ESC are rated at 21volts, 45 amps. Had a long chat with someone at Horizon. They said to use 2x2s or 1x4s batteries. Kind of does not make sense that if the ESC is rated at 21 volts, why not use a 5s Lipo? However, they said that you could use NiMh batteries of the same voltage as a 5s Lipo.....

Thanks for any help with clarifying this for me.

Added voltage in this situation means higher amp draw. Even the esc can handle the voltage doesn't mean it's going to like the increased amps. Myself as well as many others have ran 5s w/o an issue on the flip side many others have attempted and failed. Just know that doing so is operating outside the guidelines of the manual and at your own risk. If you blow something don't expect HH to bail you out and don't blast PB. Many guys have come on here and beat the electronics to hell, operated outside the recommended specs then get an attitude that it didn't work out they way they wanted.

Don't expect to just plug and in 5s and have everything work fine, things need to be done before properly running 5s.

Samsung Galaxy III via Tapatalk

Make-a-Wake
08-29-2012, 11:12 PM
The boat will run just as fast with the stock motor on 4s swingin an x642............as opposed to 5s and a smaller prop, like an x440. It cant spin an x642 on 5s with a 45a speedo and the motor would really struggle to turn it anyways. 5s is not recommended for the ESC, 4s with an x642 will get you low-mid forties, quite a bit faster than bone stock.