PDA

View Full Version : Does Size Matter?

thndrckn
08-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Looking at all the different size hulls out there i was wondering, is there that big of a difference between a 36, 44, or a 54 Cat? when it comes to over handling and driving?

Now a second question is there any advantage of twin motors over a single motor?

Doby
08-28-2012, 02:00 PM
1) Yes

Bigger can handle rougher conditions better.

2)Yes/No

Twins don't tend to turn as well. Twins cost more (duhh)...singles cost less (again, duhh)

It all boils down to what you want, what you are using it for and of course, what you can afford.

Your question is a bit vague without more details as to what you want the cat to do.

thndrckn
08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the response its just a general fact finding question, I'd like a Cat that i could use most anywhere, that would be fun to drive and can really rip when i want it too

Fluid
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
A lot will depend on where you run, how you will transport it and your preference for scale or not. For well protected water the 36" cat will be fine and cheaper to get speeds in the high 50s with. However if you are runing in rough water and wind the larger cats are preferred. They are more expensive to rig but they can run in water which will keep the 36" boat on the beach. The narrow scale cats do not turn as well as the wider racing cats like the Aeromarine Conquest...the Conquest will make turns at or near full throttle, the narrow cats will likely roll over if cornered too fast.

IME a single motor is easier to get running well and cheaper than a twin for cats under 50". Over 50" and you may need to consider twins. Of course there is nothing wrong with twins on smaller boats, it's just more work and cost for a reliable setup.

iamandrew
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
well, ive got the genesis and i wouldnt want anything smaller
However i am starting to consider buying another genesis hull, chopping it right down the middle, and trying to widen it 2 inches , then re glass it.
Remember with double motors you really need, a lot of everything.

Make-a-Wake
08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Twins sound wicked.:buttrock:...............thats about the extent of the advantage in my opinion. They are twitchier, harder to turn, require more battery power, weigh more...................etc. Now when they get up to around 50+ inches its hard to find a single motor that can get extreme speed out of it, so twins are almost always used on the BIG Cats.

thndrckn
08-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Are there many cat hulls in the 40 to 50 range??

Jersey Crewmax
08-31-2012, 07:34 AM
I saw a large Zonda Cat with twins in action this past Sunday and it was a beast. Made me look into one albeit only briefly considering the overall cost.

thndrckn
09-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I been kicking around the idea of a Zonda also but im not 100% that's what i want for my first big boat.