PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 Maiden and first RC boat experience

eocv
08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Hello all,
Rc heli guy finally getting a taste of the rc boat world. I must say it is totally awesome.

I maiden my new Revolt 30 yesterday and it ran extremely well out of the box. My only gripe was that the motor coupler teeth were broken and I couldn't remove the flex cable. With a little bit of twisting I was finally able to remove it. Other than that it was a success.

Thanks to OSE for their excellent service. Really got me started on a good note. :thumbup1:

Mike Caruso
08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Great glad you like it. New cable nutfrom Octura, Etti racing or Aeromarine makes a real nice one with collets that you can change. They are all good add a new cable and you should be good to go for a long time. Look at my Gallery pictures they are pretty clear.

eocv
08-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks Mike. I will look into your recommendations.

gyrotron
08-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Hello all,
Rc heli guy finally getting a taste of the rc boat world. I must say it is totally awesome.

I maiden my new Revolt 30 yesterday and it ran extremely well out of the box. My only gripe was that the motor coupler teeth were broken and I couldn't remove the flex cable. With a little bit of twisting I was finally able to remove it. Other than that it was a success.
Eocv,
Welcome to the Revolt30 happy owner's club.

eocv
08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks gyrotron.

I was told to change the esc and battery connectors to 6mm bullets. I'm leaning towards the EC5 connectors (I use them on my big helis). Will they be adequate for rc boat applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwaveohs
08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
6mm is overkill for that setup...5mm should be fine and you will be compatible with your other toys.
JMHO...Pete

gyrotron
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks gyrotron.

I was told to change the esc and battery connectors to 6mm bullets. I'm leaning towards the EC5 connectors (I use them on my big helis). Will they be adequate for rc boat applications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the lazy way. All my toys have deans on them so I left them stock, but it is a good idea to go with the 5mm bullets.

bigwaveohs
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm using EC-5's on all my setups (5S/6S - Leopard 4092, 4S - AQ 2080) and have never had a heat problem...plus they are polarized...JMHO.
Pete

Mike Caruso
09-04-2012, 07:12 AM
I use Traxxas connectors on all my setups because that's what came on my Stampede & Rusty originally. When I upgraded them to brushless (Stam has a 3900Kv motor) I stayed with the Trax connectors and like bigwaveohs, no heat issues and like he said, they're polarized.

I switched my boats to Trax because all my batteries (and chargers) had already been converted over. Traxxas claims they're connectors are rated for something like 80~100amps. They're connectors seem to be enough for that 100-MPH car they have, that things gotta be pulling some serious current to go that fast.

An added bonus is that many batteries (regardless of brand) come from the factory with Traxxas connectors already installed.

FYI: I've been told that the Deans connectors are only good for something like 45-amps, I don't know if that's true or not.

Just my 2-cents.

Bill,
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me and the OSE people. One of the very first things I did was install 5.5 mm connectors before it hit the water. My friend let me use two sets of his battery's so I could try and find my problem has 6.0 mm connectors. Never a dull moment HA....
Mike

eocv
09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions and info provided. I decided to go with the 6mm. Although I'm not too thrilled of not having a housing around the connectors (like EC5, EC3 etc), I like the fact that I can either use 2 2s batteries in series or use a 4s battery without further modification.

I'm loving my Revolt, plenty of speed and very stable. I had to accidents so far and it came up with only a few scratches and a slight bent on the leading edge of the rudder. No major damage to the hull. This boat is really tough! My racing buddies are drooling over it. :banana:

gyrotron
09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
eocv,

I recommend you add a stuffing tube bracket. Below is a pic pic of an aluminum one I saw from an UK seller and another of the one I designed for such purpose.

eocv
09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
eocv,

I recomend you add a stuffing tube bracket. I will add a picture to this post of the one I designed for such a purpose and one I saw from an UK seller.
Cool thanks!

gyrotron
09-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Yes, I saw that bracket before I made mine and asked Jan for its availability. He told me it was out of stock and did not have an ETA...

dana
09-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Hi ecov, welcome to the dark side muahahaha!
Glad to see more and more people getting into boats lately. Revolt is a great boat have fun with it man... Learn all you can, cause soon you're gonna want to build your own and go faster

eocv
09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi ecov, welcome to the dark side muahahaha!
Glad to see more and more people getting into boats lately. Revolt is a great boat have fun with it man... Learn all you can, cause soon you're gonna want to build your own and go faster

thanks! i'm already looking to go faster. i'm having a blast with the revolt. very satisfied with its quality and performance.