PDA

View Full Version : Ocean running...

mudn_1
08-25-2012, 04:21 PM
So who runs in the ocean? I recently built my first boat (TRAXXAS VILLIAN) for my nephew who lives across the country in wash. And i live in AL., Well we just got to the beach, i brought the boat and sidnt have time to do any testing at home except bathtub....so what say you? Yay or nay?.....i figure maybe a calmish day like today where the sandbars have washed in....if not im real close to eastern lake...

stupid phone

iridebikes247
08-25-2012, 09:08 PM
I say go for it. I have ran quite a few boats in saltwater and its ok as long as you make sure to flush everything out and really clean the flex shaft. If you're going to use the boat in the ocean make sure the boat is very well sealed and have fun. Most people think its really "hard," on the boat, running it in rough water but the boats are very light and its unlikely that you'll ever overheat the motor or esc because you won't be running WOT.

Alexgar
08-25-2012, 11:23 PM
wrong first of all you need to treat all you electrics with corrosion x or a crc20 product i bought lately but second of all the off and on load of waves will destroy your esc first if not you motor please research a little more before taking the advice of someone who is guessing or this hobby will become exspensive and i dont want you to be scared away

iridebikes247
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Alex have you ever run boats in salt water before? My guess is not. If the boat is built correctly you shouldn't have a drop of water in the hull. Also for the on and off load of waves, you're not going to blow the esc if you're not pinning it WOT over waves, its likely you'll have a few wide open blasts but to go full speed over rough waves with a spartan, well, lol good luck. I have run several boats in rough water in NY for years now, all well sealed and the flex shaft/rudder should be the ONLY component of the boat getting wet. If your esc/motor is soaked after a run theres a problem and its not the salt water, do a bath tub test. If the electronics do get wet chances are the components will only work a few more times, so make sure the boat is sealed.

mudn_1
08-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Escs and rx were dipped in corrosion x, motors are geared so that should help some.....maybe those things will help me some if i decide to

stupid phone

carlcisneros
08-26-2012, 10:54 AM
go ahead and run it in the saltwater. just make sure that everything is as waterproof as you can get them.
a good thing to bring with you is a big spray can of WD40 to spray everything down when you get the boat
out of the water. salt water can seize things up really fast. Bring some grease with you also to
grease the flex shaft after every run.

I used to run boats in sea water the first couple years I started boating and learned ALOT about salt water.

just remember, if looks a bit risky to run the boat, then hold off till the waters settle down. (if at all.)

treat the boat as a big radio box and make it water tight. :thumbup1:

mudn_1
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Well.... she appears to be really waterproof as i put it in the pool yesterday and ran around.....but i stripped some teeth off both spur gears, so i cant do full power bursts but it still seems to run pretty well!

stupid phone