PDA

View Full Version : Painting

Dziachan
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I am going to paint a boat that is already finished and I wanted so tips. Do I need to wet sand it and where do I go from there. And what type of paint and clear coat?
Drew

iamandrew
08-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Just take it somewhere like a car place and ask them how much it would cost for them to do it.
If its under $100 go for it.
or ask them if you sand it down first etc if its going to be any cheaper

siberianhusky
08-25-2012, 07:29 AM
People have had great results with just about every kind of paint out there.
Before people start making suggestions what do you have available to you in terms of painting equipment?
Will you be using spray cans or compressor and gun?
Work of art or nice simple finish?
And how much do you want to spend?
I suck at painting so I'm a big fan of one base colour, vinyl graphics/decals then 2 part automotive clear coat. Pretty cheap and easy to do at home with a small compressor and simple panel touch up gun. Need a carbon respirator to work with the 2 part clear though they can mess you up!

dana
08-25-2012, 09:45 AM
What is the hull material? What kind of paint is on there now? Lacquer can't go over enamel, so if you're using spraycans make sure you get enamel, as it can go over lacquer, in case the finish is enamel already. You need to give more info about what you have

BHChieftain
08-25-2012, 11:02 AM
I've had very good results using these instructions from OSE tip section:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info-pages/how-to-spraypaint.php

I've used standard krylon spray paint with primer on one boat, and I've also used krylon fusion paint without a primer on an ABS plastic tunnel cowl, both worked well (note, neither boat was previously painted, so I did not have to worry about paint compatiblity)

Another tip is to heat the can in a bucket of hot water before you spray. You'll get a cleaner mist spray that way.

Wet sanding between coats is key (600grit).

When you finish painting the base colors, wait 1 week before you apply the clear coat to allow the base to cure.

Downside to spraypaint is that it can chip fairly easily (but you can touch it up). Automotive paint with professional application is tougher.

Chief

Dziachan
08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
It is a fiberglass boat that already is painted and cleared.

Dziachan
08-25-2012, 11:33 AM
It says that is has a gelcoat on it and it is an epoxy fiberglass. I already plan on sanding it down with 400 grit sand paper before I do anything. I have some house of color paint. However, I like the convenience of using the old trusty rattle can. Now that I look at it closer, I don't think it is painter. It just is the color of the fiberglass with a gelcoat. And what exactly is a gelcoat?
Drew