PDA

View Full Version : Supervee brushless vs Supervee nitro

beetleman
05-26-2008, 04:42 AM
Does anyone have experience with both boats? Pros and cons? Is the nitro faster than the brushless?
Cheers

Bill-SOCAL
05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
There are a couple of nitro versions running at my pond. My FE version with lipos is just a tad faster. Not enough that you would be stunned by the difference.

FE Pros: quieter, less mess, no engine tweaking, doesn't need glow plugs, glow driver, fueling equipment, and FE boats can survive rollovers, and dunking better.

FE Cons: batteries can be costly, more up front time needed to prepare and charge packs, need good chargers (can be costly).

Nitro Pros: lower up front costs, longer run times.

Nitro Cons: noise, mess, more engine tweaking needed, fuel is expensive ($30/gallon or more), and nitro boats are more prone to dying from water spray getting into the engine in race situations or if the boat hooks out in a turn, etc..

In the end they are both about the same speed. You can likely run the FE version more places simply due to the low noise footprint.

beetleman
05-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Bill. I see that you favor the brushless... I already have all the equipment for both nitro and brushless, so that's not an issue. I'm trying to figure which is more fun. From my experience with airplanes, the noise, besides being cool, provides essential feedback. Plus with nitro I can run until I get tired and not until the batteries get tired. Aren't these advantages worth the hassle? Decisions, decisions!...

arisarts
05-26-2008, 04:00 PM
You can check our Sunday fun race between a yellow nitro and a white (mine) Electric.
I was almost 2 times faster than nitro but i ended up on SHORE (my eyes fail to calculate the dawm distance)!!
Its short but you can see the difference.I was waiting for the guy to punch his nitro an when i push my throttle i was INSTANTLY next to him :)

Ofcource with 2S2P4150 21C Lipo (Zippy-R from hobbycity ) and CF 48 (!) prop and stock motor and (!) esc. the only mods are 2 water cooling circuits ,1 for motor (Feigao gasket) and 1 for the ESC .2 water outlets rudder in used for ESC and Transom in (plastic Traxxas) for the motor.Also I disabled the BEC of the ESC and installed a 3Amp Switching BEC for 4S .

I hope I helped :)))

Arts GREECE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQytN_kIXlo

bonewar
06-08-2008, 05:09 AM
mate in my opinion the brushless is the only way to go , i have both nitro and brushless ,the nitro is a fast boat but the brushless is way faster,(i let my friend race the nitro and i race the brushless ,he never wins) nitro has a ose 18cv-rm high performance water cooled race motor in it.the brushless has a neu motor and mate there is no comparison between the 2 boats . leave those smelly noisy things at home! here are the boats im talking about hope this helps:rockon2:

planezero
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
leave those smelly noisy things at home!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :iagree:

SJFE
06-08-2008, 06:07 PM
To be quite honest you are trying to compair apples to oranges. These are two completely diffrent animals under the hatch. Bill's post was not bias in any way it was dead on. Only you can decide what's best for you in the end. None of us can add anything more constructive than Bill posted.
My 2 Cents
Tom G

all in
06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I have both. I like the electric due to the ease, I like nitro for noise and non toy feel my opinion. My brushless with lipo is faster by just a hair. both flip and roll all the time. It comes down to this for me.

Brushless-run 70% of time. Tune, adjust,and maintence 30% of the time.

Nitro- run 30% of time. Tune, adjust, and maintence 70% of the time.

Bill-SOCAL
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Proper balance is critical to the SV, at least the FE version. Mine balances at 8.2 inches forward of the transom and I hardly ever flip, even in race water. Remember, it doesn't count unless you cross the finish line.

beetleman
08-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Thanks people for all the input. I ended up choosing the brushless, which I've received recently from the US. However, the maiden voyage was poor. Please see my other thread and advise in any way you can. Thanks
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=4841