PDA

View Full Version : rio 51 help

scd2747
08-19-2012, 03:54 PM
just got my hands on a rio 51 and i cant get it to start anyone know where i can find diagram showing me where everything goes and if i would be better off just replacing the motor it seems like everytrhing is there but just not fastened down properly.

Grimracer
08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Does the motor have a blue.. or black head on it?

Thanks

Grim

pistol18
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey everyone, so here goes, I recently purchased a used rio that has the fuji but was sent back to AC for the updates, pipe support, etc. It sat for 2 years but I've been able to get it running and so far is a blast. A couple of questions:

1. the left side canopy hold down in the hull is gone and there isn't much left to drill into, any ideas? velcro? the front dowel and right side are intact.
2. the fuel and shaft oil caps with holes in the lids? I've seen people use the tubing but why can't I just get solid caps, like on my blower, edger, etc?
3. the rudder's lower mounting bolt is missing, I've seen the "breakwaway" plastic ones for another AC boat, will that work or do I need something different?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to using the fuji until it expires and then the modding can begin!

Grimracer
09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey everyone, so here goes, I recently purchased a used rio that has the fuji but was sent back to AC for the updates, pipe support, etc. It sat for 2 years but I've been able to get it running and so far is a blast. A couple of questions:

1. the left side canopy hold down in the hull is gone and there isn't much left to drill into, any ideas? velcro? the front dowel and right side are intact.
2. the fuel and shaft oil caps with holes in the lids? I've seen people use the tubing but why can't I just get solid caps, like on my blower, edger, etc?
3. the rudder's lower mounting bolt is missing, I've seen the "breakwaway" plastic ones for another AC boat, will that work or do I need something different?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to using the fuji until it expires and then the modding can begin!

Regarding 1: Can you glass in a new lower mount? It can be G-10 or aluminum. (this boat IS worth the work)
Regarding 2: Both tanks need to be vented.
Regarding 3: Just about any bolt is going to shear before the transom lets go on this boat. I use an M3 SS bolt.. brass works too!

Grim

pistol18
09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the answers Grim! While I've never fiberglassed, I am pretty handy and will give it a whirl.
Next question, I used your speed grease and coated the drive cable, when reinstalling it you wrote:

"inner strut needs to go as far as the mounting bolt"

When I slide mine it, it hits the mounting bolt and then there is approx 1/2" plus of room between the drive dog and the inner strut. Is that correct?

I've read the other threads about the space and why it's there, just want to set this up correct. The prior owner had 4 metal washers to fill in the gap, which looked bad and probably weighed down the shaft.

Brushless55
09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Grim, have you ever done a brushless conversion to one of these?

pistol18
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
So far I picked up new rudder bolt, shaft grease and some o rings at my lhs. Are all o rings the same? Reason I ask is the old ones I removed were red but the new ones I bought are black. After changing them, I noticed the exhaust pipe had some blue areas after an 8 minute run.

I will tackle the hatch hold down over the winter and for now have been using waterproof tape to hold down that side, works fine.

1 more thing the drive shaft tube in the boat that has the oiler attached to it can slide back and forth, how far should it be at the outside transom? I looked at all the pictures I could and think it should be flush or just sticking out slightly. Also, do I need to secure it somehow?

Thanks again!