PDA

View Full Version : Hot running help!!

Mattwarner
08-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Ok guys i am a little stumped on this as my setup seems to be running ridiculously hot and i cant work it out.

Set up as follows

32" rivercat/apparition
twin 3126 1600kv outrunners
t120 esc's
running on 6s1p

originally i was running 45mm props and noticed temps were high (couldnt touch the cans and escs were warm but not hot)

I then propped down to 40mm and still same so played around with timing from the original 15' to 3.75' through to 22' none of which brought temps down, COG is set at 35% and doesnt appear to be plowing but see vid below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YBmaOubwk&feature=youtu.be

this vid was the whole run and after bringing back in the cans were soo hot a drop of water would boil on them! wires and escs were very warm as well, i did notice that there was not much flow from the water outlet but as the motors are not watercooled then surely this would only heat the escs? i can blow through the system and appears fine.

Other things worth noting is that drivelines are reasonably free and turn easily by hand, not as free as with the original 4mm drives but certainly not mega stiff, also the stuffing tubes are cold after i come in so doesnt appear to be a lot of restriction here, with the 40mm props amp draw should be fairly low but doesnt appear to have brought the temps down any more than running 45mm's

Batteries are two 3s Hayin 40c 5000mah wires in series and are only slightly warm.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

srislash
08-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Matt,any chance you own an Eagle Tree? It would be great to see what kind of amps you are pulling.I guess you could figure it out on paper.

Fluid
08-19-2012, 12:51 PM
It would be good to have more detailed information:

- Motor brand and model
- Prop brand and designation
- ESC PWM setting
- Actual temperature readings - ESC and packs
- Amount of charge put back in packs and exact run time

As is there is not enough informatin to determine anything useful to you.

Mattwarner
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks fluid appreciate your help and experience on this

Motor is a Turnigy h3126
Props are just plastic graupner ones spinning inwards 1.4 pitch
Not sure of pwm setting, I don't think you can change this on the Turnigy t120 esc?
Will take my temp gun tomorrow but even after 5 minutes rest I can't touch them so something is definitely wrong!
Esc's were hot but packs just slightly warm
Cells discharged down to 3.77 after just that runs so maybe 2-3 mins? Not sure how much MAH as they've not been charged back up yet

Fluid
08-19-2012, 07:03 PM
If we know the amount of energy you put back in and the exact time (2-3 minutes is not accurate enough) we can judge the amp draw. Then we have a better idea of what may be wrong. The props may be too much for those motors, but I don't know that until we see the amp draw. Those are no thigh amp draw motors. If both motors are the same temperature then the problem is probably electric.

dana
08-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Is this the boat that you put the floating speedmaster bushings in with locktite?

Make-a-Wake
08-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Got me stumped..............the motors seem up to the task with twins sharing the load and being 500 series.

Here they are in case anyone wants to take a peek

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11181__Turnigy_500_H3126_Brushless_outrunner_160 0KV.html

Mattwarner
08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Ben (formally of fightercat) recommended this setup as he ran exactly the same and up to 47mm props but suggested 42-45mm for longer run times and reliability

Mattwarner
03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Just to tie up tis thread I'd shelved this for a couple of months whilst I worked in another build however issue was found to be too much grease in the driveline, after removing and switching to a thin ptfe spray oil the temps are back to acceptable levels of both motor and esc's therefore the moral is there is such a thing as too much lube!