PDA

View Full Version : Whats the word on the new Swordfish 300amp ESC?

Raydee
08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I am thinking about keeping my Phil Thomas SS45 but I want to change out my 6s power system for a 10s system. I was looking at the Swordfish 300amp esc that is capable of running 15s and wondered if anyone has tried one and what you think of them?

Steven Vaccaro
08-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Ray so far, there are only 15 or so out there for a short time.

Brushless55
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I am thinking about keeping my Phil Thomas SS45 but I want to change out my 6s power system for a 10s system. I was looking at the Swordfish 300amp esc that is capable of running 15s and wondered if anyone has tried one and what you think of them?

:w00t:

Gary
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Why are you going to 10s Ray? More power?

Raydee
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
No I am just doing it for the fact that it should bring my amp draw down and possibly give me some extra run time. I changed one of my heli's over from a 6s system to 12s and the difference was night and day. Everything went from coming down hot and having to wait till everything cooled to fly again to everything coming down luke warm and being able to fly back to back to back.

scottw
08-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Steve/ Ray

there are a many out here in Aus with no problems so far - looks like this may be a winner??
not sure if there are may guys running more that 300amps const????

Scott

oscarel
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Has anyone seen or used this device from Hifei?

http://hifei.com/pshow.asp?mid=62&id=130

It is specially designed for Swordfish Pro/Pro+ 300A and Fulcrum Pro/Pro+ 300A controllers,makes it easy and reliably to connect with the battery pack.

Features and Advantages:

1 Integrated Capacitors: RUBYCON 470UF X 2

2 Built-in 8mm Banana Terminal x 2 ( one male and one female )

3 On-Board Anti-Spark pole,eliminated the requirements of Anti-Spark wire .

3 Size: 59mm x 26mm x 20mm

Steven Vaccaro
09-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I've been working with them on suggestions / changes. Its not quite out yet. Should be very soon.

Brushless55
09-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks like a great idea, but still we would need to wire up a little different for 2p

Steven Vaccaro
09-02-2012, 11:33 AM
thats a suggestion I've made.

oscarel
09-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks Steven

avinash inalsingh
11-05-2012, 05:53 PM
i just ordered the swordfish 300amp..i have a 56 inch skizzm cat with scorpion 4035 800 kv motor. i have run it on 6s but only achieved about 35 mph...i want to run 12s(2x6cell)5000 mah.we run in saltwater and gas is preferred.i attained 60mph on a cc racing engine.i am just doing this as fun as i fly rc jets and i want too proove that electric will stand up to any gas boat...i will post pics and on my finding about the esc...i just bought C1 72 inch offshore cat...goin to run some mad power in that>>everythin x 2!! i hope this 300amp esc works!!! waiting patiently>>

kevinpratt823
05-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Any feedback yet? My castle 200hv just went poof, it's going in on warranty(hopefully), but I was thinking of picking up a SF 300pro, or maybe a SF240hv.
Running 10s2p with a castle 2028 in a 45" Sniper, pulling close to 200amps......

avinash inalsingh
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
i bought one and it malfunctioned..i never got to use it..i only powered up the esc and boom!! i had 12 cells...steve sent it up to hi fi and they said i did something wromg with the esc.they have sent a new one for me at a cost of 153 US and it is by steve at offshore electrics.personally i ent going back with the esc because the cost of the shipping and in vent back to gas now.......i will sell it with a new program cartd for 250 US>>>if anyone is interested let me know so i can direct steve to sell it to you it will be coming directly from offshore electrics....sorry about the long answer...but i wont reccommend the esc at all.. i went back to gas!!

ironjaws
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
i would like to know if swordfish controllers have as good of a warranty as the castle products?

oscarel
05-12-2013, 09:28 PM
I also sent one back and got the same answer, $176 for me. They said it "could've" been where I spliced the 2 + leads together. The insulation was cut, but they also cut off the heat shrink that was on it. There was no signs of arching and the downloaded data I sent them showed no abnormal amp spikes. They sent pics that didn't show it then sent another picture a couple days later. I won't buy another either. They also have a way of removing the epoxy which I questioned as well.

photohoward1
05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Give you $200 for it.

Mattwarner
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
I know a guy running 20s on these!!!!

T.S.Davis
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm no marketing expert but wouldn't these sell better if they didn't look like something you found bolted to the firewall of a 74 Buick in an ally in Detroit? Dull case with duller name plate. At least the Castle looks like something that some thought went into. Even the big Schulze with it's plastic lunch box case looked more the part.

Maybe it's me. I know it's about the performance but there is something to be said for instilling confidence before the sale.

drwayne
05-17-2013, 10:21 AM
i would like to know if swordfish controllers have as good of a warranty as the castle products?

Castle would take 6+ weeks before posting back to overseas clients.8+ week turn around.. .because 'local ' clients were a higher priority ....... "FE is a global community" , I said poor effort IMHO. Most every return would be exchanged with new for the 1/2 RRP replacement cost... making it cheaper to buy a new one locally after factoring in postage.

@oscarel.. phenolic solvent removes the epoxy ( gloves, face mask and outside ! )
Inside are 2 x 160HV esc coupled back2back....if any user joined connection on the paired input wires was sad, one esc would feed more current than other .. pulse bias browns the weaker unit..
Same issue CC had with their marine 240LV and HV units .. they similarly offered replacement at 1/2 RRP replacement cost.

IME HIFEI repair turnaround is within 7 days.. add postage time in/out.

W

Mike Caruso
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
3- weeks here in the USA min. Must be really hard to work on those ESC's and motors. My partner is have some headaches with his 300+. He tells me he cannot get the 4.04 to down load and he has very latest computers not old ones like me.....hey if they light up it should work right? LOL Anyone know for sure Castle motors are NOT built by NEU. Have 2 motors DOWN now (out for 3 week turn around not even getting to max cells and motor wires are falling off? The inside wire end falls out WT# looks like my silver hair on my head. So he puts the third one in the boat since we are to go up to Flint.......now it notches with the HiFi 240HV that was just repaired. I asked him if he is using 200 or 221 volts ? So NO trip to Flint this weekend and I was really looking forward to meeting everyone.
Time to regroup and be there in the spring.

Mike Caruso
10-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Wayne,
I ran across this website http://www.sinusleistungssteller.de/index.html they make their own ESC's and great explainations in their Highlights area. The information like you have been help me and everyone who does not understand. Take a look nose around the site let me know what you think. Under their Development of SLS section is pretty cool as they show how much the water jacket helps cool the Mofsets Hope I got that right.
Still learning will be ready for Spring SAW.
Best,
Mike

iridebikes247
10-04-2013, 06:41 PM
the swordfish 300 is an awesome esc no doubt. the only problem i had was getting the throttle to reach 100% but that has been fixed because of information in this thread. few escs are as capable at this price point, the only real contender i would say is the modelbaupirate 300.

Mike Caruso
10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
the swordfish 300 is an awesome esc no doubt. the only problem i had was getting the throttle to reach 100% but that has been fixed because of information in this thread. few escs are as capable at this price point, the only real contender i would say is the modelbaupirate 300.

I found another place making them I have to find the link. I think their ESC is way more money but after two cheaper ones screw up where are you anyway.

drwayne
10-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Hi Mike
Yeah.. International freight services are most constipated when carrying repairs... go figure..
China is so close to here one could almost fpv an rc plane and land there. !
That's probably nothing to do with why US Marines now sunbake on our Northern beaches, hey :lol:

Castle are a US entity. My Castle 2028's box claims 'made in China" .. same for motor enclosed.

Thanx, the SLS site re freshened my faith for innovation !

Hassles interfacing usb-seriel adapters with 'new' computers ?
Many chipsets running W8 do not support < USB2.0 ... back to W7 !!
I have a mini Toshiba Xp laptop for esc work.. handles all the manufacturers software 100%

Mike Caruso
10-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Glad you like the site. I knew it was over my head but it did make sense. SEE post #22 above.

drwayne
10-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Hmm
Reducing bandwidth per channel offers more clarity separation between ..the overlap is less... 1ms Vs 512?us Particularly with frequency hopping systems, the freq shift with smaller channel widths offer more users per bandwidth.

Mike Caruso
10-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Post #21
New info that I did not know until today since we did not go to Flint my buddy and I talking about motor failures.
He ran a Steve NEU 1415 1Y for two and one have years. Hurt the bearings once because of the boat hopping in and out of the water. He sent it in and paid for the repair and kept running it no problems.

BUT since he bought a Castle NEU 1415 1Y and a 1515 both of those Castle/NEU motors and have had one of the three out side wires just fall off.
I saw the one at our pond when we where getting ready for Flint. two laps and the motor just stopped. pulled the cover off and one of the end motor wires just fell out. So home we went home. He called me a few days later after installing his 3rd new motor in the boat and said I must have an ESC problem. Well it turns out this brand new Castle/NEU motor one of the outside wires just fell out 300 HiFi and his 240 HiFi esc's are fine.
OK now he is looking into the motor and there in NO SOLDER ON the winding were the wire fell off. Both end wires which fell out of two different motors are tinned just fine.

No finger pointing just need to get to the bottom of this problem.

Steven Vaccaro
10-07-2013, 05:46 AM
One thing to keep in mind. A Neu motor and a castle neu motor are not the same. Castle licenses the design and the motors are made in a much more mass produced mannor.

Accessable
10-07-2013, 06:02 AM
I love my Swordfish Pro Plus.
I've tried everything to kill it on 12S and it keeps on ticking!
My only bitch is the data logging software is flakey/sparse.
Apart from that I recommend them against anything else on the market today.

Accessable
10-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Has anyone seen or used this device from Hifei?

http://hifei.com/pshow.asp?mid=62&id=130

It is specially designed for Swordfish Pro/Pro+ 300A and Fulcrum Pro/Pro+ 300A controllers,makes it easy and reliably to connect with the battery pack.

Features and Advantages:

1 Integrated Capacitors: RUBYCON 470UF X 2

2 Built-in 8mm Banana Terminal x 2 ( one male and one female )

3 On-Board Anti-Spark pole,eliminated the requirements of Anti-Spark wire .

3 Size: 59mm x 26mm x 20mm

I use one - beautiful, simple, functional and robust - and it doesn't mind getting wet!
I also run an additional cap pack tucked away in the radio box.
NOTE: It has 2 X Pos & 2 X Neg 8mm onboard connectors.
There is only thin PCB copper track joining the parallel Pos connectors/Neg connectors respectively.
I recommend bridging with either brass links or decent solder work.
I mean - how many Amps can copper track handle?

Mike Caruso
10-07-2013, 09:52 AM
One thing to keep in mind. A Neu motor and a castle neu motor are not the same. Castle licenses the design and the motors are made in a much more mass produced mannor.

Steven,
Thanks so much they do keep me in the basement and pipe me Sun light. A 24 year old That helps me out and is new to boating saw my post and said I thought I tould you that a year ago at least. DOH That expains it all to me. NOT THE SAME MOTORS you guys got that now LOL.
Best,
Mike