PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Bandit 3.5 from waaaaaay south of the border

Accessable
08-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Hiya guys, gals and gulls.
The following photo history should give you a rough idea of what us Krazy Kangaroo chasers get up to in between alcomahol binges and happy hour....
I recently acquired a Bandit 3.5 F1 tunnel and, what with having lots of "leftovers" from a very "successful" 20 yo build of a .67 Prather Lapcat in kevlar (Umm... my son launched it bum-first and totally destroyed the K&B .67 outboard when it hit the bottom of the launch area - Grrrrrr) I decided to get my downunder ass into the 21st century and go electric.
The K&B lower leg was still useable so off to work I went.
Exhaust outlet and associated "excess" cast aluminium?
Gone to the big recycling smelter in the sky. Probably Bud cans by now....
Hand-made components - LOTS!
Down here they look at you kinda funny when you talk fast electrics.
Nitroslime still rules! Yeah right.
So I've managed to bolt a Castle 1518 with a Castle Hydro XL 240 into the Bandit on a decent 6S LiPo setup.
Many many thanks to the folks at Castle Creations (Dianne) for managing to get my new ESC to me depite me STUPIDLY making a mess of the mailing address.

I still favour real-time power trim with outboards - comes from many years successfully campaigning full size boats in waterski racing.
Got the trophies to prove it too.
I have re-engineered my trim mechanics using a hand-made billet aluminium bell crank cam arrangement, titanium connector rods, solid brass push rod and 316 stainless steel hardware.
For outboards, no trim is grim IMHO.

If power-to-weight rules apply, this thing should be entering the orbit of Pluto in about 2 years.
Mars is for local yokels - let's push the boundaries because we can.
Being an avid supporter of Chevrolet horsepower devices and our equivalent down here - (Holden - our GM equivalent), you might understand the paint job.
We have a thing called V8 Supercars here in Aus - a bit like NASCAR but with more than left hand turns (Google Bathurst 1000). 600 HP for 11 twisty hours - go figure. FYI: There's an Aussie guy called Marcus Ambrose driving No. 9 in NASCAR.
The man can drive the wheels off a shopping cart. A genuine Bathurst legend - show him some support - he's paid his dues.
I digress...
Nothing exceeds like excess - please enjoy the pics.
It also has pretty port/starboard and running ultra-bright LEDs (switchable using the BEC) to run at twilight.

Theoretically on paper this little piece of adapted fibreglass and modified machinery should be capable of 170 K/Hr plus - allowing for 20% prop slippage.
200+ K/Hr is not unreasonable.
An Octura X450 (ever so modified ;)) provides the propulsion.
Do the math: 1518 (1800Kv) on 6S with a Hydro XL 240 AND it's trimmable on-the-fly - Hmmm.

Accessable
08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
On a side note:
I ordered some parts from OSE for my new F1 tunnel - a 1518 water jacket and a couple of Octura auto bailers.
It took a mere 7 days to have them in my hands.
I live in Melbourne Australia.
I ordered on 21st August and got exactly what I ordered on the 28th (today).
The parts are already installed and fitted perfectly.
This is 100% better than my local hobby supplier can do!
Cudos to OSE and Steve V - Well done!