PDA

View Full Version : Best Rudder Replacement w/ watr P/U?

sanyijr
08-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Looking for the best replacement rudder with 1 or 2 water pickups for my MC. Wondering if a centered rudder would be better?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80052

or

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-prb3756

or

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-80050

Thinking of a 2 inch or so setback centered on the drive line...

Or other suggestions? I just don't like the stock type pick up. I upsized to a 1/4" brass tube and it works well, but not a "clean" look. And not streamlined.

Open to suggestions...

Do any fit the existing bolt-pattern?

dana
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I would go for rudder 3. I've used the first one and didn't like the tolerances of the machining. Had ALOT of play. Number 2 is a proboat rudder, which is Probably better but still not super. Number 3 is one I have on my Titan and is a great rudder but has ALOT of setback.
You could also try the speedmaster mini rudder. Those are excellent.... You prolly won't find any of these share the same bolt pattern as stock tho.

sanyijr
08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
That's great info Dana. Thanks.

And the setback on a MC/Cat? What can i expect as far as handling, etc?

Oh, and how does one attach to the MC hull with new Bolt-pattern?

dana
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Well, out of all the rudders, number 3 will be the one you may not be able to modify to fit the stock mount. The other rudders you might be able to modify easily to use with stock mount.

dana
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I can't say weather too much setback will be a problem. I try to have the leading edge of my rudders close or just behind the leading edge of the prop

siberianhusky
08-21-2012, 06:48 AM
SV rudder with pickup is a direct drop in replacement blade, goes right on the stock bracket. They are the exact same except one has been drilled.
Been running both the stock pickup and the rudder pickup. One for the esc one for the motor, used the existing holes in the transom for inlets and installed a pair of outlets in the side of the hull where I can see them when running.
My stock pickup is set so it just touches a table when the boat is sitting there, hangs down about 1/16". Don't need anymore than that, I get a good strong stream of water out of both outlets.
I had the first rudder you linked to on a hydro, what a POS! over 1/4" of side to side play at the bottom of the rudder. Boat wouldn't track right at all, get the trim set with the rudder flopped to one side then it would flop to the other side and pull that way then! Sometimes it would do it halfway down a straight then begin pulling!

sanyijr
08-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks Guys.
Got one similar to #3 with a bit less setback. Still not sure if I am setting it directly behind the prop like the center mounts. I have to wait and see. (not able to get out to the water for a few weeks here) Honey-do-list.....

Sean

sanyijr
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
So talk to me guys. All the cats come with an offset rugger/strut setup. What situation would use these in?

82994 If i use the #3 option and center the rudder, same deal, no? Thoughts. Benefits if any?....Drawbacks...