PDA

View Full Version : Hobby King or Swordfish

Vortech C5
08-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to decide between a swordfish or hobby king speed control. Which one do you guys recommend..
I am running a 4S set up. I am trying to decide between the new 120 swordfish that does data logging or the T180. Thanks!

1945dave
08-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow, this is not as easy to answer as you would think. First Swordfish as a brand is well recieved and ofcourse is sold right here on OSE, that is a huge plus. I don't know anyone that has the new data logging version but the basic 120 is a good value. For the 20 extra bucks this is an exceptional value. Main problem however is it is out of stock and you do know the sensors for the data gathering are not included with the ESC. Next concern for you is how many amps do you anticipate your needs will be? For example you are comparing a 120 swordfish to a Turnigy T-180. The T-180 is one of the better chinese ESC's around and a good value. Yet Turnigy does make a T-120 and if that was your choice for comparison then I would say the two choices are reasonable but hands down go with the Swordfish with data logging, Both 120 amp controllers are popular and on 4S should be reliable and worthy of consideration. I have not had any trouble with my original Turnighy 120 inspite of all the rookie abuse on my end. I trust it just fine on 4S. Everybody I know that did have a ESC failure with the T-120 had the problem running 6S. It would be my belief that the Swordfish would not be all that much different pushing the limits of its safe operating range on 6S. Again 4S should be fine but no question the T-180 could handle much higher current and would be a more robust ESC over the Swordfish 120. Data logging is the only reason to consider the Swordfish 120 in this comparison in my opinion.

You said your application will be 4S. Anything more specific to tell us? Don't over prop whatever you run. If you do frying the 120 amp ESC is pretty easy to do, a 180 amp controller is a little more forgiving.

Dave

iridebikes247
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
go Turnigy 180, these things are awesome. If you want to check out some reviews check hobbykings site a LOT of people have offered their opinion and people really push the escs even with bigger motors. I have no experience with the swordfish but you're getting a better value with the seaking and its capabilities are impressive given the price. The only thing I don't like is the size, they're pretty bulky and take up a lot of room in the hull.