PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 - Adjustable stuffing tube bracket

gyrotron
08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Hello,

Is anyone out there using adjustable stuffing tube bracket on their Revolt? After what happened today on my boat I think is does need it. Since I will be replacing the brass tube I was wondering what you guys think about installing one of these brackets designed for the Motley Crew.

http://kintecracing.com/Motley_Crew.html

JimClark
08-14-2012, 05:33 PM
nothing a little wedge of wood and some fiberglass couldn't accomplish

gyrotron
08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
nothing a little wedge of wood and some fiberglass couldn't accomplish

I am new to this, I have not worked with FG before. Can you show me a sample pic? Thank you

wavekatcher
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
What happened to your boat to need to do this mod?

gyrotron
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
What happened to your boat to need to do this mod?
I raised the strut +2mm looking for more speed and after a couple of runs, the brass tube was loose and bent at the section where it curbs up, it had moved forward towards the collet, the teflon liner kind of started to melt, the epoxy holding the tube against the transom started to crack...

JimClark
08-15-2012, 01:22 AM
here you go

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/Radio-Control/Jims-Build/IMG4284/331767981_Peo2o-L.jpg (http://jimclark.smugmug.com/Radio-Control/Jims-Build/4309697_SfdXDB#!i=331767981&k=Peo2o&lb=1&s=A)

gyrotron
08-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Ok, I now know what I need to do. Thank you.

Mike Caruso
08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Go to my Album Gallery you will see the same fix a small pc of wood I used a round file to make it fix under the tube. Then angle filed the bottom of the wood so it fix the floor just fine. Epoxy all done. Its the one with the Re Volt sitting in the White scale round nose hydro

gyrotron
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Go to my Album Gallery you will see the same fix a small pc of wood I used a round file to make it fix under the tube. Then angle filed the bootom of the wood so it fix the floor just fine. Epoxy all done. Its the one with the Re Volt sitting in the White scale round nose hydro

Thanks Mike.

Mike Caruso
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Look real close and you will notice I have added wood from motor mount to motor mount. This ties them making one mount and also they DO NOT TOUCH THE HULL. Just like the two battery tray ends.

gyrotron
08-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Look real close and you will notice I have added wood from motor mount to motor mount. This ties them making one mount and also they DO NOT TOUCH THE HULL. Just like the two battery tray ends.
Yes I see it. What type of wood and wood thickness did you use?

Mike Caruso
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Whatever I had laying around maybe 5/16 x 1/2 I did use balsa. Hrad wood is stronger but I just wanted to have something under the end of the tube. Once coating with Epoxy I find it works fine. The motor mount pcs where Hobby shop 1/8 and 1/16 plywood. Again I had some leftovers that got put to use.
Less weight = more speed
Not that the little pc. used there would add any weight but always keep thinking about weight.

gyrotron
08-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Whatever I had laying around maybe 5/16 x 1/2 I did use balsa. Hrad wood is stronger but I just wanted to have something under the end of the tube. Once coating with Epoxy I find it works fine. The motor mount pcs where Hobby shop 1/8 and 1/16 plywood. Again I had some leftovers that got put to use.
Less weight = more speed
Not that the little pc. used there would add any weight but always keep thinking about weight.
I designed this stuffing tube bracket. Holding the stuffing tube steady has been a problem on my boat. The bracket is made of 1/8" birch plywoood with a 1/4" intenal diameter rubber groomet (which absorbs the vibrations pretty well) and it has not been epoxied to the hull yet; the center line of the bracket is 1" away from tube end towards the motor. I am planning on wateproofing the plywood before applying epoxy. Does anyone know a good product for waterproofing plywood?

Mike Caruso
08-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Epoxy will do it. Nice idea BTW simple and like you said it allows movement which is good because the hull flex's. Good Job!! Ace hardware has Polyurethane in spray cans. I have used on my Nitro fueled boats and it never ate through to the wood. The key to making it work is time......two weeks!! So not a quick fix but it does work well. My friend used the Ace hardware spray paint on his starting box and again letting it dry two weeks, his box now is six years old and still looks new.

dana
08-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Use epoxy or super glue. How much water will be in your hull anyways?

gyrotron
09-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Use epoxy or super glue. How much water will be in your hull anyways?
Well, nothing on regular operation unless boat gets belly up... but for now I'll just coat it with some exterior grade water repellent spray I have found in my garage...

gyrotron
09-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Gents,

I have found this butch block shaft holder from an UK seller that would be great to add on our Revolts it is just a bit expensive though... here is the link and a pic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120762623883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I wish OSE had one of these for sale.

h2o 1
05-25-2013, 10:52 PM
gyrotron,did you ever get the butch block? Im thinking of using one of these on a hydro.Rocketcity racing has them with the grease fitting on top.What is that mandrel for by the screws? I've been wondering about that. Thanks,Mark

gyrotron
05-25-2013, 11:30 PM
gyrotron,did you ever get the butch block? Im thinking of using one of these on a hydro.Rocketcity racing has them with the grease fitting on top.What is that mandrel for by the screws? I've been wondering about that. Thanks,Mark
No, never did

h2o 1
05-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Ok, thanks. Does anyone know what that mandrel is used for? A guide maybe?

Chilli
05-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Yep. Used for aligning the motor. Put the narrow end in your collet. I've only seen the blocks used in big gas cats.