PDA

View Full Version : Impulse OSE upgraded HD driveshaft question

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Okay so I broke the stock driveshaft after upgrading the motor and esc and prop. I have a question regarding the OSE upgraded HD driveshaft if anyone who has installed one in their impulse I could use some advice. I removed the teflon sleeve and have the etti coupler. I noticed that when I have the cable installed and the prop on the shaft I go to tighten up the supplied bullet nut and it doesnt even come close to the prop before bottoming out on the shaft. I received a regular nut, non nylock and the bullet nut. I tried installing the regular supplied nut and that tightens up all the way to the prop of course but I thought the bullet nut should be the only thing holding the prop on. I have the drive dog as far back as it will go but still the nut is too far away. Do I need to cut the shaft?

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I just wanted to add that according the the OSE ad for the shaft it states no cutting or soldering is required so I would think that it would be a simple install.

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Heres a photo of what I'm talking about

stadiumyamaha
08-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Most here as I would tell you to get rid of the bullet nut altogether. They have a habit of coming off and sucking a prop. Find a nylock and run it.

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Okay will do, I have a nylock that will fit, problem solved! Thank you, it just seemed strange that if this cable was made for the impulse with no modification required that it doesn't "quite fit right"!?

stadiumyamaha
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
No problem. I have the same cable in mine but never noticed because I don't use the bullets.
I have had to lengthen the sets crew flat to except a thicker prop though.

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I thought about doing that but then I think the cable would be too long inside the boat and I would have to trim it off to fit in the coupler, this is a much easier solution!

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Sorry to bother you again but I was wondering if you could answer one more question. As far as the coupler goes did you tighten yours to the point where both nuts are literally touching eachother? I work on cars for a living and I'm pretty good about feeling when youre tightening something too much but I know on my fastech I had to tighten the coupler nuts to the point where they were touching to prevent the driveshaft from spinning. I have tightened the coupler on the impukse to the point where it almost feels like I could possibly damage the threads which I do not want to do but I have about an eighth of an inch gap between the two nuts. The driveshaft feels tight but I know under a load that could all change.

671mike
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
get ose locking nuts and then the bullet nut this setup works very well for me and the prop is a m54582532

671mike
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
well i do... the first time i did not I went swiming for a hour thank god i found

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
So you tighten the two coupler nuts to where they are touching just to be clear?

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Like I said in the prior post, I have to tighten the coupler nuts to where they are touching on my fastech otherwise I have had the driveshaft spin loose, I didnt lise it but the boat stopped dead in the water!

671mike
08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
i dont know if it is the right thing to do but i have been doing it on my impulse and my spartan. the only time i had a problem was when I did not make them touch

671mike
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
have you done any hull reinforcement on yours?????

Steve McGinley
08-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Just to the canopy, not the hull, I want to, just havent gotten around to it yet. It does seem like a pretty stout hull though!

671mike
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
mine was tell i stuffed it at somewere over 50mph it hit the water so hard it broke the battery tray loose and cracked the hull were the stringer was glued to the battery tray

Steve McGinley
08-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Wow, really!!?? I guess I probably shouldnt put that off any longer. Have you reinforced it since that mishap?

671mike
08-15-2012, 01:18 PM
No I had it looked at and the repair man told me it be cheaper to get new one and carbon fiber it up before it hits the water. I will just put some epoxy on the cracks and foam the nose and run it tell get the new one done but I need to say this was a very hard crash at full speed and it did hit the bottom (6 feet of water wow)

jfraleyjr
01-21-2013, 08:59 AM
What is the part number for the cable you bought? I sent an email to OSE a few days ago and the reply stated they don't sell a cable for the Impulse because it is an odd size? Any info you can give me would be a big help!

Okay so I broke the stock driveshaft after upgrading the motor and esc and prop. I have a question regarding the OSE upgraded HD driveshaft if anyone who has installed one in their impulse I could use some advice. I removed the teflon sleeve and have the etti coupler. I noticed that when I have the cable installed and the prop on the shaft I go to tighten up the supplied bullet nut and it doesnt even come close to the prop before bottoming out on the shaft. I received a regular nut, non nylock and the bullet nut. I tried installing the regular supplied nut and that tightens up all the way to the prop of course but I thought the bullet nut should be the only thing holding the prop on. I have the drive dog as far back as it will go but still the nut is too far away. Do I need to cut the shaft?

671mike
01-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Product ID: ose-cable-impulse31-HD
OSE Impulse HD Cable
In Stock: 0

OSE heavy duty flex cable (Requires etti-a034 coupler) assembly. This is for customers with heavily modified ProBoat Impulse 31 boats that are using 4074 and 4082 motors. Made with thicker gauge .187" Cable with 3/16" prop shaft and bullet nut. The cable we use is over 20% thicker than the stock ProBoat cable. This is cut and ready to install in your boat (requires etti-a034 coupler).

No soldering or cutting required!

NOTE: This will NOT fit a Stock Impulse without the following additions. Requires ett-a034 5mm to .187 Coupler and removal of stock proboat Teflon liner.

This can also be used in any other boat requiring a .187 cable that measures approx 8 3/8" (212mm) from tip to tip.

Steve McGinley
01-21-2013, 10:25 AM
They are out of stock right now, put yourself on the product watch list so you're notified when its back in stock. MAKE SURE you also buy the etti coupler, you will have to remove the Teflon driveshaft sleeve in order for the cable to fit also. I cut my leopard motor shaft because the cable is too long but after that it fit perfectly. VERY happy with it and I haven't broken a shaft since. Mike has given you the product details, you can find it in the OSE shop under the hardware section then goto driveshaft cables.....you will find it in there.