PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof tape glue sticking to boat

Tom899
08-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I bought some Aquacraft AQUB8606 Waterproof Tape to keep my Revolt 30 hatch on and keep the water out. It does its job but when I pull it off about 40% of the glue sticks to the boat and is a mess to get off:mad:. Is this normal? Should I be looking at another brand?

dana
08-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Renfrew Clear hockey tape

Fluid
08-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Dana is right on, Renfrew is the best tape I know of - I buy it off eBay 8 to 12 rolls at a time. It does not leave a sticky residue after a run, although if you left the tape on for several days it might. One trick is to use auto wax on the hull where the tape sticks, this helps prevents leaving residue with other tapes. It sounds like the tape wouldn't stick to the wax, but it does stick just fine. Got this trick years ago from my old buddy Tim Higdon.

dana
08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Good tip jay. And yes it does leave residue if left on for a couple of days, but only after long periods of time. No issues with it otherwise. I'll try the wax trick.

tlandauer
08-12-2012, 02:33 AM
This is great, learned something. Question: Is this less likely to lift any painted surface? The wax trick is great. Up to now i didn't care if that happened, but one boat is painted beautifully and I was at a lost what would minimize lifting.

Tom899
08-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the wax tip as I had bought three rolls of the Aquacraft tape. I also ordered two rolls of Renfrew Clear Hockey Tape from Ebay, Thanks!