PDA

View Full Version : Motor wire lead question/issue

Basstronics
08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I just recently bought this motor (used) off another member here. It came from another member also, with 6-7 runs on it.

Upon receiving it I noticed there was heat shrink on the wires. Looking at the endbell you could clearly see exposed wires on one. The other had partial exposure as well.

So I cut the heat shrink off to find no insulation on the wire...

Cut off the partial on the other and same deal, just a tad bit where the replacement heat shrink ended. Third one had insulation.

Obviously it would NOT be a good situation to leave these exposed as they were.

How do I repair this? Just heat shrink it as far back as I can or?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/basstronics/RC%20Boats/100_1242.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/basstronics/RC%20Boats/100_1243.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/basstronics/RC%20Boats/100_1244.jpg

JrValente
08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
If it was me I would maybe take some thin plastic(maybe teflon tubing) and wrap around wire where it protrudes through the endbell and then shrink over that up to bullets. I would want more than just heat shrink to protect wire going through the endbell.

JrValente
08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Also, have those wires been replaced? I never seen such poorly braided wire, and the insulation on the red wire looks incredibly thin too. Looks like heat shrink also.

Basstronics
08-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Im pretty positive the "wire" is just the coil wire braided/twisted. I think the original stuff was just heat shrink also. On the Leopards they just put a silicone/woven fiber insulator over the wires. You can pull it right off.

I think Im just going to remove the bullets and put two layers of heat shrink on them. Unless someone sees an issue with this?

tlandauer
08-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Basstronics, there was a thread I believe posted by Properchopper titled somewhat like " Blue printing motor wires?", I could not find it for you now, but if you have time do a search, might help, was a great thread.
sorry couldn't be of more help. i will try to find it mean time.

tlandauer
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I think heat shrink tube is best, although the suggestion of thick teflon tubing is a thoughtful idea, you need the shrink tube to wrap tightly and any other tubing inside the shrink tube may ultimately promote movement again---something I wouldn't want.
just my .02

Basstronics
08-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Found it:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?28355-Blueprinting-UL-1-Motor-Wires&highlight=blueprinting

I will heed Tony's advice and follow suit.

Good time for that thread as I have a UL-1 motor out and was trying to install a water jacket... argh that is another thread... lol

tlandauer
08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I am glad you found it! I actually just found it a second ago, anyway, all the best!:beerchug:
Now that I re-read the thread, I think my UL-1 in my Samurai needs attention too, will be also looking into that...

JrValente
08-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Definitely need the shrink to hold in place if using something semi rigid to protect the wires. Using two layers of heat shrink should protect the wire for that situation. My electrical background is with car audio so navigating around the interior of a car I have had to get crafty to protect from wire chaffing as there are tons of sharp steel in a vehicle. That endbell is a bit smoother than some 16ga punched steel under a dash in a car so my protection is maybe a bit extreme but if I am fixing something I tend to go way overboard to have it be a non issue down the road. In a car, I dont want to be ripping apart the dash to chase a bad wire at a later date..

Basstronics
08-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Did you buy the Samurai from Tunnel?

I sold him mine as I needed some cash. Wish I wouldnt of sold it!

Basstronics
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Definitely need the shrink to hold in place if using something semi rigid to protect the wires. Using two layers of heat shrink should protect the wire for that situation. My electrical background is with car audio so navigating around the interior of a car I have had to get crafty to protect from wire chaffing as there are tons of sharp steel in a vehicle. That endbell is a bit smoother than some 16ga punched steel under a dash in a car so my protection is maybe a bit extreme but if I am fixing something I tend to go way overboard to have it be a non issue down the road. In a car, I dont want to be ripping apart the dash to chase a bad wire at a later date..

Im in the same boat. My Electrical experience comes from Car Audio (hence the user name). I also have various college classes Ive taken and of course- real world shop experience. I know a decent amount for common sense issues.

tlandauer
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
No, I got the last one from Jim @ Minicat. I really love that boat, sweet running cat.

JrValente
08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Ohh yeah I spent some time in the car audio industry and competed, now Im a enthusiast and man it has saved me lots of cash dabbling in that arena... No more trying to keep up with the competition.