PDA

View Full Version : My Revolt 30 - "Bold Skull"

gyrotron
08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Here are some pictures of my current Revolt 30 setup. Here is what I've done to it:

1- Added the bullet nut on the prop (used enough blue loctite). Stock prop for now, planning on upgrading to an oct-x642 and Grimracer L45x68 lifter later on.
2- Upgraded to the Kintecracing propeller shaft and stuffing tube
3- Elongated water inlet
4- Installed M6 aluminum water outlet
5- Installed mock up exhaust pipes and red tribal skull decal on hatch
6- Moved turn fins up halfway and increased angle to the back
7- Gave 2 degrees negative to the trim tabs
8- Used 4s 5800Mah 14.8v single battery setup located all the way to the back of the battery tray.

Next upgrade will be installing a thrust bearing and new props.

Running great up to date, chine walk reduced to a minimum. I am very happy with my Revolt!

Make-a-Wake
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Add a drop of loctite to that shiny bullet nut, or it and the prop will go missing....................... Nice boat

gyrotron
08-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes, I did add blue loctite to the prop bullet (hopefully enough). I'll keep checking the bullet nut before every run too. Thanks.

Tom899
08-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Looks great!

gyrotron
08-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Tom.

Tom899
08-10-2012, 07:37 PM
You're welcome. I was looking at the water outlets on OSE and noticed they have one for 1/4" tubing and one for 7/32". It looks like the stock tubing is 7/32?

Mike Caruso
08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Nice boat man have a ball with it so glad you are running!!!!
Mike

gyrotron
08-11-2012, 12:58 AM
You're welcome. I was looking at the water outlets on OSE and noticed they have one for 1/4" tubing and one for 7/32". It looks like the stock tubing is 7/32?
Tom,

I used the one for 1/4" tubing.

gyrotron
08-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Nice boat man have a ball with it so glad you are running!!!!
Mike
Thanks Mike,

The boat is running great and it even performed it's first rescue today. My brother brought his Impluse 31 and after a couple of runs the prop shaft got loose from the collet and I had to rescue the boat. I learned the best way to rescue a boat, that has not sunk, is to make runs in circles behind the other boat's transom; making series of wakes that will push the boat ashore (fishing rod technique was taking too long plus I got to spin my boat meanwhile).

Mission accomplished!

dana
08-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Why would you consider using a lifter prop on a mono? I don't get it

gyrotron
08-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I just want to try it; Grimracer recommends it. But I am going to go with the x642 first. Tell us about your thoughts of not using a lifter prop on a mono.

dana
08-11-2012, 10:38 AM
It's counterproductive to how a mono is designed to ride. Certainly a x642 has some decent amount of lift also.
I'm still learning and can be wrong here, but lifting the transom just seems weird. I'm sure someone who knows more can either verify or not if this is a correct assumption.

stumblinh
08-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I just want to try it; Grimracer recommends it. But I am going to go with the x642 first. Tell us about your thoughts of not using a lifter prop on a mono.

I'll save you some money, just get the x642, it's the only prop you need on the revolt 30. I have several including the grim L4568, while it's a good prop and maybe a touch faster than the x642 on most water it is no where near as 'planted'. Even after tweaking that prop likes to chime walk, where the x642 is much much more behaved. I'm no pro but that x642 prop after you clean it up (sharpen if not sharpen and balance) just rocks.. super fast compared to stock and I will add it seems to be faster with less demand than the 4568 (amp draw) to accomplish nearly the same thing.

gyrotron
08-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I'll save you some money, just get the x642, it's the only prop you need on the revolt 30. I have several including the grim L4568, while it's a good prop and maybe a touch faster than the x642 on most water it is no where near as 'planted'. Even after tweaking that prop likes to chime walk, where the x642 is much much more behaved. I'm no pro but that x642 prop after you clean it up (sharpen if not sharpen and balance) just rocks.. super fast compared to stock and I will add it seems to be faster with less demand than the 4568 (amp draw) to accomplish nearly the same thing.
Hi Stumblinh,

Yes, I picked the x642 because of it's speed/efficiency-temp ratio according to tests others have previously performed. I may end up like you said; saving some money and not getting the 4568 at the end.

Thanks

Mike Caruso
08-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I need you at my pond with that rescue boat. My friend built one out of a foot long canoe he cut the back off HA.

gyrotron
08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I need you at my pond with that rescue boat. My friend built one out of a foot long canoe he cut the back off HA.
It is not so much the rescue boat as it is the technique behind it... Mike, where do you boat?

gyrotron
08-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I just ordered the x642 today from Hazegry. Meanwhile I gave some positive (up 2mm from stock setting) to the prop strut looking to rise the bow a little and try to gain some more speed. Trim tabs at 0 degrees now. I had the chine walk dialed down to a minimum when I started this thread, lets see how it behaves with the new strut setting. I will run the boat tomorrow and report back. After tomorrows's run it will be time to re-lube the prop shaft so I will be installing the thrust bearing then.

Mike Caruso
08-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Cricket Creek Forest Preserve just outside of Chicago you have to get a license and be a member of IMPBA or NAMBA. I belong to the Badgers Club in WI also great bunch of people.

gyrotron
08-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Cricket Creek Forest Preserve just outside of Chicago you have to get a license and be a member of IMPBA or NAMBA. I belong to the Badgers Club in WI also great bunch of people.
For some reason I thought you were in the FL area I did not pay attention to your location tag. I am not affiliated to any club yet, I just boat on a pond close by my house.

Mike Caruso
08-14-2012, 08:41 AM
That would be nice I have to drive min 20 miles to run or to WI 65 miles.

gyrotron
08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
That would be nice I have to drive min 20 miles to run or to WI 65 miles.
Wow 65 miles that is a trip. I like to drive but I am lucky I have this pond a couple of blocks away; you can walk around it w/o obstacles and it even has parking accross the street. I'll take a picture and post it after today's run.

Came back from today's run. Here are some pics of the pond near my house where I go boating.

Norman2
08-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi, Gyrotron, Beware,even if you use loctite on the Bullet nut the heat from the flex shaft in the strut bushing will let the bullet nut loose and it will come off sooner or later. Do yourself
a favor. Install the normal lock nut then the bullet nut in back of it. Regards
Norman2

gyrotron
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi, Gyrotron, Beware,even if you use loctite on the Bullet nut the heat from the flex shaft in the strut bushing will let the bullet nut loose and it will come off sooner or later. Do yourself
a favor. Install the normal lock nut then the bullet nut in back of it. Regards
Norman2
Yes, I have been reading not so good experiences with a bullet nut lately. I will go ahead and install a jam nut after the prop and then the bullet nut with loctite. Thanks for the advise :thumbup1:.

gyrotron
08-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Meanwhile I gave some positive (up 2mm from stock setting) to the prop strut looking to rise the bow a little and try to gain some more speed. Trim tabs at 0 degrees now. I had the chine walk dialed down to a minimum when I started this thread, lets see how it behaves with the new strut setting...

The new strut setting (+2 mm) acted negatively on the Brass Tube and Bushing. After the 5th round I started to hear a diferent motor noise and decided to stop the boat to give it a look inside. Great idea at the exact time; the brass tube was loose and bent at the section where it curbs up it had moved forward towards the collet, the teflon liner kind of started to melt, the epoxy holding the tube against the transom started to crack... it was a really bad accident starting to happen :scared:. I need some help :help: here folks since I have never replaced a brass tube and or applied epoxy before, let me know what I need to do and how do I remove and clean up de existing epoxy to make the fix.

Do you guys think the Revolt needs an adjustable stuffing tube bracket? it is a fully adjustable bracket for 1/4 brass tube. It has adjustable height, angle and if installed with spacer washers can be adjusted side ways also. I found this piece at Kintec racing and it is used for the Motley Crew.

hhttp://kintecracing.com/Motley_Crew.html

gyrotron
08-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Boat is temporarily out of the water for repairs... will probably have it ready for next weekend.

dshuld
08-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Where in fl are you? Im in pinellas county.

gyrotron
08-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Where in fl are you? Im in pinellas county.
Hillsborough County. Where do you boat?

dshuld
08-19-2012, 10:08 PM
No where yet. Still working on my sv restoration. Taking my time on it as its my first gut and redo. The revolt is still waiting on the backer and for me to go over evrything with loctite. After reading on here for a long time finally decided to try boats. Have friend thats been trying to get me to run them at maximo park in St. Pete but its salt water.

gyrotron
08-20-2012, 09:28 PM
No where yet. Still working on my sv restoration. Taking my time on it as its my first gut and redo. The revolt is still waiting on the backer and for me to go over evrything with loctite. After reading on here for a long time finally decided to try boats. Have friend thats been trying to get me to run them at maximo park in St. Pete but its salt water.
I had never heard of Maximo Park before, I just saw some pics online and it looks an interesting place for boating in salt water. Personally, I am not ready yet to run my Revolt on salt water but let us know if you do.

dshuld
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I do t really want to either. Theres a small pond a few blocks from my apartment in gulfport on 58th st. But i havent seen anyone put a boat in so im not sure if anyone would say anything to me or not.

gyrotron
08-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I do t really want to either. Theres a small pond a few blocks from my apartment in gulfport on 58th st. But i havent seen anyone put a boat in so im not sure if anyone would say anything to me or not.
I went thru that predicament too before I started boating on the pond near my house and one day I just did. I figure there is always someone that will say something but until that day I'll keep enjoying it :cool2:

gyrotron
09-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Hello Gang,

My Revolt is back on the water and running better than ever. I am pleased with AQ fix to the stuffing tube getting loose; not pretty but it does not move now. Here is the pic of the fix:

Mike Caruso
09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Hello Gang,

My Revolt is back on the water and running better than ever. I am pleased with AQ fix to the stuffing tube getting loose; not pretty but it does not move now. Here is the pic of the fix:

Crowd goes wild!!!

Glad your back up and having fun.

Mike

gyrotron
09-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Crowd goes wild!!!

Glad your back up and having fun.

Mike

Yes Mike, I am having a ball with this boat! Acouple of things I did lately:

Diverted the water intake coming from the rudder pick up to the motor cooling jacket and the Esc separately.
Added a water outlet to port of the boat and a transom fitting. The transom fitting has a dual function; it serves as a water outlet for the ESC and as a water intake for cleaning the served water out of the cooling system with my mini hose.
Replaced stock Dean connectors with EC5 (Deans melted yesterday and boat almost cought fire)

Currently Testing Octura X440 /3

This boat definetly grows on you.

Mike Caruso
09-25-2012, 11:28 PM

Diverted the water intake coming from the rudder pick up to the motor cooling jacket and the Esc separately.

Added a water outlet to port of the boat and a transom fitting. The transom fitting has a dual function; it serves as a water outlet for the ESC and as a water intake for cleaning the served water out of the cooling system with my mini hose.

This boat definetly grows on you. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow.

You said it!

Nrallen1
10-16-2012, 04:03 PM
With my strut pushed up carefully about 2mm, upgraded flex shaft and an M545 my silver Revolt is driving on the prop almost exclusively in the straights. I had to drop the fins and straighten them out or the once stable thoroughbred, wanted to slap on its side violently in the turn! Now it is still decelerating into the turn but WOT just at the crest and blasts out into the straight. My favorite boat.

Mike Caruso
10-16-2012, 06:14 PM
2nd that.

dana
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Replaced stock Dean connectors with EC5 (Deans melted yesterday and boat almost cought fire)

Currently Testing Octura X440 /3

This boat definetly grows on you.
y splitters are terrible. get rid of it

steveo
10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
hey reading some of ur earlier posts about places to run the is a electric boat club in sarasota with a few guys on here that play there-http://www.wfmbc.com/

gyrotron
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
y splitters are terrible. get rid of it
Dana,

I already did that last week. I noticed temps were going up and I double checked on the "path of least resistance" concept and I discovered I was basically dividing the water flow in two halvs and equaly reducing the velocity of the amount of water going to the motor and ESC. You change you learn... you learn you change!