PDA

View Full Version : Re Volt pictures 45 mph

Mike Caruso
08-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi Folks,

Re Volt Shuttle It's ok you can laugh now!
Not sure where to put the pictures so I started an album. Open for all to view. Aug 5th 2012 First run last Sunday with 4s @ stored charge battery right out of the box it ran 40.7 mph measured with Eagle Tree. 2nd run all I did was charge the battery almost fully 4.1 per cell and it ran 45 mph and change. I used 45 x 68 prop, Hughey cable and AEROMARINE cable nut. I also added the motor thrust bearing and set it to hold motor end play reduced to 1/2 position. I also used my 3ft level to lay the hull on so I could check the stuffing box angle and I made it dead straight with the bottom of the hull. This is my first electric boat and I could not be more pleased. Nice build Grim!!!:rockon2:
What did I learn? I want to go much faster Ha. But that's just me x Drag racer always looking for more never satisfied........
Perfect boat for beginner or expert practice cuts and turns this boat is amazing.

Regards,

Mike

Tom899
08-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Hi Mike, that sounds great! I might be trying mine out for the first time tonight. I do have the 4 x 68 prop but it’s not ready yet. I balanced and sharpened the stock prop so that will be what I try first. I also sharpened the rudder and elongated the inlet hole. I did buy the motor thrust bearing but don't quite understand how you set it? I also replaced the flex cable and nut. I'll check the stuffing box angle. How about the turning fins, how are those set? I changed my battery ends to EC5's and will be running with Trinigy Nano 5000 45c 2s batteries. I'm thinking of putting the batteries towards the back to start, they are relatively thin and light so I could stack them in the center if this makes more sense? Do you completely tape the hatch cover all the way around? Sorry and hope you don't mind all my questions, this is new for me.
Thanks,
Tom

Fluid
08-09-2012, 06:54 AM
I have been very impressed with the Revolt, it is a well-thought out, well built RTR. Another Prop which works well is the m445, same speeds as those reported above. Place the packs side-by-side, that can help to reduce chine walk. You must tape the hatch all the way around with decent quality tape to keep out water. The turn fins should be set as shown in the manual at first. I'm sure you will enjoy running your new Revolt.

mikeochs
08-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Seriously running that big of a prop with this motor esc combo? Im impressed

Mike Caruso
08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Folk's,
As soon as I learn how to graph the Eagle Tree info I will post. I am looking to see motor rpm vs. mph. I am going to do a back to back at the pound run the boat and red scrubby pad the bottom and run it again to see what it is worth. I am already working on another 45 x 68 prop so I have two which run close to the same and put one away. Things happen!!!!! I also mounted the 4s to the back and used toung depressors on the sides two on the right and one on the left those two little changes made it run straight like on a string.
Impressed me too!
Mike

Make-a-Wake
08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Where are the pictures? :confused2:

Mike Caruso
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
The pictures are in the Gallery Mike Caruso

gyrotron
08-11-2012, 01:57 AM
The pictures are in the Gallery Mike Caruso
Hey Mike,

How is that support piece you made between the rudder blade bracket and the prop strut bracket working for you? Why did you decide it was needed? How did you made it and what length and diameter does it have?

Thanks

Mike Caruso
08-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey Mike,

How is that support piece you made between the rudder blade bracket and the prop strut bracket working for you? Why did you decide it was needed? How did you made it and what length and diameter does it have?

Thanks

I felt that it tied the two parts nicely you can even pick the bolt up by it. K&S Alum 3/16 O.D. that you can tap for 6-32 no problem. (USE TAPPING FLUID GO SLOW BACKING UP AND CLEARING THE TAP OFTEN) this tube material is real gummy. Nothing special no CAD or Solidworks just Back Yard Engineering (BYE) we know the rudder mount flex's as does the strut all over the place. It just locks them with the transom nice and solid. Now I can rip the whole thing off at one time LOL.