PDA

View Full Version : Information on hardware positioning

KartRacer
08-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone
I am getting back into RC after a long break. I am running cars and Flying planes and am ready to get into boating. Everything has changed in the years away from the action with fast electrics being my focus. I would prefer to build from a hull rather than a ARTR. Is there good information on building my first boat available. Need to be able to properly locate hardware on the Hull and position electrics inside. I would love to avoid many of the mistakes that a newcomer would make without instructions. I prefer a cat or deep V and live on a small lake. Prefer to be over 30" Hull but would respect all opinions on that choice.

Thanks in Advance

KartRacer

marko500
08-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Your best bet would be to decide or narrow down your choices to what hull you want to build. Then do a search on here and see what works and did not work for the people who have already built that boat. So many choices out there it's really hard to say.
Once you do narrow it down the guys on here will be able to answer any questions you might have. There's alot of knowledge, experience, ideas and builds on the pages of this forum.

driftah
08-09-2012, 01:43 AM
a genesis cat of a delta force 33 mono would get you a great start and arent too tricky for fe builders if you do some decent searching on here bud.they require not a ton of effort and are pretty durable,they both run pretty well and have good track records.Good luck with the decision bud as well this is all just an opinion based suggestion as others will chime in on what they like too but these seem to run well on a basic setup without too much complications and setup effort imo.You need to decide what kind of handling and goals you have as the hull styles are quite different as you may know.monos are good for holding speed in corners like carving lines whereas cats are "usually" meant for straightaway speed and are a little less stable in high speed corners.Pick a hull do the reading then have fun building lol

KartRacer
08-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the input.
Always like the speed but prefer a hull that will handle. Do hills usually come with detail instructions on hardware placement?

driftah
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
not usually.. maybe because if they offered a template that might not work for someones given setup or goals and hardware has different spacing as well,pictures of similar hulls on here that have been built are usually a good reference for positioning of hardware but if you get stuck just ask around maybe.Personally I like to run the stinger in a mono so that its flush or just above flush of the v at the transom in a mono,trim tabs around halfway out from center.. possibly closer in some situations but not much,and fins roughly an inch or two in from outer edge.Keep in mind this depends as well on the hull u pick as they all handle differently.Maybe when u choose the hull put up a post and others that have a good running setup will give you some measurements on their setup...wink wink.Almost foolproof hehe

KartRacer
08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Great info, thanks. I am leaning to a Aeromarine Sprint Cat 40 with Turbine Hatch from OSE Or the Titan 33. I see that OSE offers suggested hardware and given the respect for them I see on the forum i would expe t that that would be a good starting point.
I notice some RTR have the stinger offset to compensate for torque. It have not seen it on the build ups here in the forum. It that a gimmic or something that needs to be done.
I would expect to use mid priced electronics of quality and achieving 40 plus mph. Hoping that is not unrealistic with these hulls. Thanks again for the input want to make decision soon and not in a rush the build. I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

KartRacer