PDA

View Full Version : IMPBA D12 Fall Race - Queenstown, Maryland Sept 21-23, 2012

Chilli
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
The Delmarva Model Boaters will be hosting the fourth District 12 race of the season the weekend of September 21-23 in Queenstown on Marylands eastern shore. Sign up will be on www.rcracingevents.com . We have classes for just about everyone (Gas, Nitro and FE's). Come up..or down and enjoy the cool weather and great racing. Open water usually starts around noon on Friday and we race all day Saturday and half the day on Sunday. We try to wrap up around lunch time on Sunday so people have plenty of time to get home and unpack. We would love to see some of the guys from Tidewater come up as well as our NAMBA1 comrades from up north.

I'm also expecting a few new FE racers to join us. You know who you are.......:spy:

If anyone has any questions, ask away.

HOTWATER
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Just wanted to add to Chilli's thread:

Camper cabins might still be available at Martinak State Park (MD)...around $50 a night...

Should be great weather... not hot and not too cool out..

-Kent

Chilli
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I think there are three cabins still available. They sleep four with a queen and bunks. They have electric and AC/Heat. We've used them a couple times and have been pretty happy with the set up. Short walk to the showers. Beds aren't the most comfortable but the cabin is clean. After we get back from racing we light up the grill, throw some dogs and burgers on and charge packs. The camp ground is about 20 minutes from the race site.

I'm pretty sure primitive camping is also allowed at the race site.

HOTWATER
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Love the avatar...looks like you and I going through turn II @ the Centreville race...gotta love it!!

Chilli
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
The avatar isnt a crack at you BTW. The Insane is ready to do battle with you next month. :beerchug:

HOTWATER
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
He,HE!! Can't wait!

HOTWATER
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Is Joe (rcbidder) gonna make it?

Pete: get your IMPBA card and get those ML boats running...I will help you with anything you need to get them going...Get-R-Done bro!

Chilli
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Joe has seasons tickets to the Redskins and they are playing that weekend. He entertains clients so it's hard for him to get out of it. Maybe we can talk him into coming up for the day on Saturday.

I expect Pete and HydroMike to be racing!!

HOTWATER
08-09-2012, 01:39 PM
The Redskins??!! Doh...sigh....another skins fan...lol! Looks like they have a new QB...

I'll bring you guys some Kleenex...J/K...lol

Chilli
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh yeah! RG3 will turn this team around and join the likes of other franchise Redskin first rounders... like Desmond Howard and Heath Shuler.......:doh:

I guess we'll get first peak tonignt. I just hope RG3 wont be running for his life all season.

HOTWATER
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
...looks like he's already doing Subway commercials...

at least the Mcblabb days are over...lol!

carlcisneros
08-11-2012, 01:04 AM
am planning on running P mono and open mono

have to test new motors in the open mono tho 1st.

Mike, you bringing the gen. along?

no nitro this time at all

before I forget, Mike, better hook up a 6 volt receiver pack to the programming box (the plugclosest to the 4 buttons)
and see if you get the wording across the screen. mine went to all squares...................:cursing:

Chilli
08-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I'll bring the generator.

My programming box checks out fine. Says "Welcome, Fightercat Racing".

I'll give it back to you. I may just have you program the spare controller I purchased.

carlcisneros
08-12-2012, 11:50 AM
thanks

sounds good

Chilli
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
www.rcracingevents.com is up now. There are a few minor issues with race sign up. Mike posted the heats as being 8 laps. Obviously that isn't going to work for us. I asked him to make the 8 lap heat for LS27 and LSG classes only. Also, B/P-Lim Hydro isnt listed and B/P-Lim Tunnel is listed as B/P Tunnel. Hopefully that will all be corrected shortly.

Carl. I finished converting the 47 amp power supply. It took less time than soldering bullets to a speed controller. You'll be able to charge those 6S packs in no time. :thumbup1:

HydroMike
08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Who lol:sinking-guy:
The Delmarva Model Boaters will be hosting the fourth District 12 race of the season the weekend of September 21-23 in Queenstown on Marylands eastern shore. Sign up will be on www.rcracingevents.com . We have classes for just about everyone (Gas, Nitro and FE's). Come up..or down and enjoy the cool weather and great racing. Open water usually starts around noon on Friday and we race all day Saturday and half the day on Sunday. We try to wrap up around lunch time on Sunday so people have plenty of time to get home and unpack. We would love to see some of the guys from Tidewater come up as well as our NAMBA1 comrades from up north.

I'm also expecting a few new FE racers to join us. You know who you are.......:spy:

If anyone has any questions, ask away.

Chilli
08-13-2012, 11:07 PM
You know who you are. LOL How's the Rico and Whip??

HydroMike
08-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Rico is waiting on a prop from Doug S and whip is getting cleared by pop Weimer when he can
You know who you are. LOL How's the Rico and Whip??

Chilli
08-13-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a Smocktura 445 you can borrow if you're using a 2200kv motor. :smile:

I think Pop is busy fixing Danny's Vector mono. LOL Did you see him wreck at the Gas Clash? That boat looks like it got ran over by a truck.

HOTWATER
08-14-2012, 07:58 PM

I think Pop is busy fixing Danny's Vector mono. LOL Did you see him wreck at the Gas Clash? That boat looks like it got ran over by a truck.

Yo bro...did you go to the gas clash?

Chilli
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Nope. Just got back from Atlanta two weeks prior. Didn't want to even try to ask for a kitchen pass. me :bash: Cheryl

The pic of Danny was posted on Jim's

HOTWATER
08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Lol!...ok gotcha...

Doug Smock
08-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Rico is waiting on a prop from Doug S and whip is getting cleared by pop Weimer when he can
Oh :censored:
Mike I'm sorry man, got busy and kicked you to the curb.:blink:
The prop will be in the mail to you on Thursday.
This ones on me bro, again, sorry bud!
D.

Doug Smock
08-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Rico is waiting on a prop from Doug S

The prop is on the way sir, sorry for the delay.
Have fun!!
Doug

HOTWATER
08-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Doug is the man! First class boater!

HydroMike
08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Glad you care for me lol so when I come down to run u guys and beat ya I don't have to give it to you lol thanks Doug
Oh :censored:
Mike I'm sorry man, got busy and kicked you to the curb.:blink:
The prop will be in the mail to you on Thursday.
This ones on me bro, again, sorry bud!
D.

HydroMike
08-16-2012, 10:02 PM

I think Pop is busy fixing Danny's Vector mono. LOL Did you see him wreck at the Gas Clash? That boat looks like it got ran over by a truck.na missed that but seen it later when I got back to the race man did he do a great job on that thing. I guess when he does something he does it right. I blew my engine in the lauterbach but one is on the way lol

Chilli
08-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I had Doug do a new mod I read about on your prop. It's called a reverse cup. It helps the boat slow down quicker when you bring it in after a heat...... :laugh:

HydroMike
08-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Lol can u do that mod about mid way though the race lol
I had Doug do a new mod I read about on your prop. It's called a reverse cup. It helps the boat slow down quicker when you bring it in after a heat...... :laugh:

Chilli
08-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the "Sticky" OSE guru's!!

On RC Racing events, B/P-Lim Hydro has been added but it shows sold out. I'll let you all know when it's corrected. Two camping cabins still avaiable at Martinak State Park.

I'm all signed up for:
B/P Mono
B/P-Lim Tunnel
Gas Mono
Open Offshore

The Sport Hydro is currently in SAW configuration so no P-Lim Hydro for me.

John will be signed up for B/P-Lim Tunnel and B/P-Lim Hydro when RC Racing events get corrected.

Doug Smock
08-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the "Sticky" OSE guru's!!.

:wink:

Chilli
08-18-2012, 12:36 AM
You da' man!!

John boat
08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Hello i am new to this site an think i would like to race at this event its close to me. I am very fond of my boat. i dont want to c mine like the one in the above pic. i hope i dont have to race with him.

carlcisneros
08-20-2012, 10:07 PM
hey folks, if you havent checked already, the hotel prices in the area have NOT gone
down for being out of season.
better check it out.

Chilli
08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
OMG :doh:, Danny is on an FE Board. Now I've seen everything. LOL

Welcome to the dark side my friend.:spy: We're only a little nicer to each other than on Jim's

Seriously, We're glad to have you!! If you every have any FE questions, ask away.

Hope to see you and Pop next month.

carlcisneros
08-21-2012, 12:38 AM
DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flame42:

John boat
08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Damn u figured me out well. I have had some interest in elc boat like a tunnel an a 36 sprint cat

Chilli
08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I looked at your profile and saw your name. You had me for a while though. LOL

A 36 Sprint cat on 6S packs makes a bad a$$ boat. P-Limited Tunnel is one of our budget classes and is a blast. The "Limited" means you can only run certain motors (to keep the high dollar motors out of the picture). Most of us use the Aquacraft UL1 motor. We also have open tunnel in the district so you can run whatever you want. I'll let you take some FE laps if you're at open water on the Friday of the race.

John boat
08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
that sounds good i rather not go broke building. fe tunnel looked cool in spec i have a aeromarine hull just need everything else ha ha,. I was talking to mike vandewater an he said batteries arent cheap an was telling me everthing else he bought. it reminds me of going from nitro to gas almost had to buy all new everthing. i do have a traxxas spartin i play with but damn allmost 200 in batteries to go fast.

HOTWATER
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey Danny! Good to see you on the OSE boards...

I will also be at open water..you can check out our P-lim. tunnel setups (UL-1)...

Will be good to see you and Pop...

-Kent

Chilli
08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
If you bought Traxxas batteries you probably paid too much. We can get you in some reasonably priced packs that perform well in the Limited Classes. John Crouch has a Limited tunnel he bought from Dick Loeb and I think he has only raced once in three years. He signed up for the race but not P-Lim Tunnel. You may want to ask him if he'll sell it to you if you're interested.

HydroMike
08-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Ya as long as the john boat don't hit the john boat this time will be OK lol

Chilli
08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Was there a lane infraction at the retrieval boat dock??

HydroMike
08-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Ya its called look out Ethel lol

John boat
08-21-2012, 10:47 PM
no the john boat was in its lane i was trying to pass it on the inside an got cut off. no i have not bought any batteries yet for my traxxas i saw the price an never bought them. cant say i talk to john much either saw him at the gas clash but was busy an didnt have much time. but thats not a bad idea could i run the spartin in pspec class?

HydroMike
08-21-2012, 10:49 PM
More fun I'll run right with ya buddy

Chilli
08-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Danny, We don't have a P-Spec Mono class. We do have a P-Mono class. Our Spec classes (where we specify the motor) are for Hydro's and Tunnels only . Our P-Monos can run what ever motor and speed controller you want. The ony requirement is that the hull is a legal mono (no steps), is less than 34 inches (which it is) and it falls withing the "P" voltage parameter. 14.8 volts nominal or 4S power. That can mean a single 4s pack, two 2S packs in series or two 4S packs in parallel.

So to make a long story short. Yes you can run the Spartan in the combined B/P-Mono class. Just make sure your boat can handle a mill lap and 6 or 7 racing laps without overheating. If you can run one lap at half speed and 2 1/2 minutes wide open with your temperatures under 135 degrees (Batteries, ESC and motor), you're in pretty good shape. A word of warning. The Spartan is not the most durable hull. If you get it tangled up with someone or stuff it hard, your boat is going to look like the Vectors little sister. Now Pops D Mono Titan 33 would make a dandy P-mono hull. :smile:

John boat
08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
i have a elc titan 20 AN 40 i had remy put stringer in but i can take them out. IF I HAD THE CASH I WOULD GET LEAGL BATTERIES FOR THE SPARTIN were would i go to get the batteries an whats a good price an what size am i looking for. that is true about the spartin not being strong an u elc guys drive agressive

carlcisneros
08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Danny

here ya go

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000-4s1p-40c-4444.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/baac.html

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/catalog.php

hope this helps.

Chilli
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
What kind of batteries do you have now?? Are they Nimh?? As long as the Voltage matches up with the P Class they are fine.

We had a Spartan in the club break without hitting anything last year. Just took a nasty stuff.

Bring the Titans next month so I can take a look at them. You can mount the battery way back and put two batteries in front between the stringers. Also you can get motor mounts for various motors and rail widths.

http://www.southriverrcboats.com/shop/page/33?sessid=0agjkrR91NzGkGKNgU1aTqw0a5ukkRjvaRwxrVL5 FkJHyanmTWu027Ule4GwxzJo&shop_param=

John boat
08-22-2012, 06:01 PM
just the stock 7 cell but its slow great play boat. thats what i did the batteries r in the rear an runs great about 30 mph just like the box says. but any more with the price of things i dont think ill be doing much racing so not sure if i realy need to go out an get the good stuff. may be used

carlcisneros
08-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Watch the used stuff Danny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chilli
08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Especially batteries and speed controllers.

Two 7 cell NiMh packs in series does put you in the P power classification. Get a pair of 2S-40c 5000mah packs and she'll rock. You just have to make sure you program the ESC for lipo's. All that does is set the low voltage cutoff because if you discharge lipos too low they go....:flashfire: Obviously you'll have to get the proper connectors for the pack and a Lipo charger that balances the packs (keeps the cells at the same voltage).

John boat
08-23-2012, 04:54 PM
2s 40c 5000 not the 4s like carl linked me a site for 11.4 or7.4

HOTWATER
08-23-2012, 05:08 PM
RCLipos.com ...you can get 10% off every order and shipping is always free...

Pat is a good guy and will take good care of you....

-Kent

John boat
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
i am more confused now in p spec it has to be a 2s an any c rating an any mah

s the is the amout of cell right ?
c is the bost rating right?
mah i know but how high can u go ? if some one has a couple hours to explain can they call me i am thick headed thank u

HOTWATER
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
A 2S pack is basically a 2 cell pack wired in series

A 4S pack is 4 cells wired in series...

For P-Limited you will need either ONE 4S pack OR TWO 2S packs wired to each other in series (black wire to red and the other red and black wires to the esc wire - matching colors)

You will be in good shape running 5000 mah packs with a C rating of at least 25 ( I use 35C packs of 5000 mah - I think Chilli runs up to 65C packs...)

Just remember that when lipos are wired in series the mah stays the same but the voltage doubles...

It's the opposite when lipos are wired in parallel - mah doubles and voltage stays the same....

Hope that helps a bit....

-Kent

Chilli
08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Two 4S packs in parallel (4S2P) is the preferred set up for P-Mono. It's easier on the packs, provides a smoother voltage to the speed controller, longer run times and the extra weight will keep the boat on the water in race chop. The question is, can you fit two 4s packs in your hull and will it screw up the CG. You can ask other Spartan owners on this board and they can tell you better than I what you can run. One of Ray, Ray's nephews ran a Spartan that ran well at our district race. Maybe you can give him a call and ask what packs and prop he used.

S = cell count. 3.7V per cell. 4S is 14.8 volts.

C X mah capacity gives you the packs amerage output. 40C x 5.000mah = 200 amps.

You're getting a crash course in FE so dont worry if it's making your head spin. Just some new terminology to learn.

HOTWATER
08-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Crash course is right...

Yes...in full P-mono ( different class than P-Limited), you will be in good shape if you can fit 2 - 4S packs (wired in parallel)...you will also need a good esc to handle things.....another crash course...doh!

You are allowed up to 10,000 mah TOTAL in P-mono....so....you can use TWO 4S packs wired in parallel of an mah of 5000 (10,000 total when wired in Parallel)

It may all sound confusing now but stay with us...you will get it...

Doug Smock
08-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I edited (fixed) your last two posts Kent. Don't want you to confuse Danny.:tt2::laugh:
Hi Danny! We miss you in SOWEGA.
Doug

HOTWATER
08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks Doug...but looks the same....OH!!## P-Spec to P-Lim...gotcha!!! Keep forgetting that....lol!

Doug Smock
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Doug...but looks the same....OH!!## P-Spec to P-Lim...gotcha!!! Keep forgetting that....lol!

I've got your back my brother!!:laugh::beerchug:

HOTWATER
08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
You are the man....MAN!!!!

HydroMike
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Ya good thing is he stays confused lol
I edited (fixed) your last two posts Kent. Don't want you to confuse Danny.:tt2::laugh:
Hi Danny! We miss you in SOWEGA.
Doug

Doug Smock
08-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Mike,
Did you find a jacket for your P Mono motor?
D.

John boat
08-23-2012, 09:04 PM
YeAh picked up a new car very easy on gas maybe I'll have to take the trip loved if down there I am easily confused

carlcisneros
08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Doug;

Danny confused??????????? NO WAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rofl:

HydroMike
08-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I sure did thanks Doug
Mike,
Did you find a jacket for your P Mono motor?
D.

Chilli
08-23-2012, 10:47 PM
The hardest working family in D12! Danny and Pop always lend a hand no matter where they run. Danny is also an excellant CD. He keeps those heats moving.

You can hitch a ride with me to Atlanta next year Danny. Mike also........Just don't tell anyone you're from D12. :doh:...:laugh:

Chilli
08-23-2012, 10:48 PM
You think you're going to have both FE's ready for the race Mike??

HydroMike
08-23-2012, 10:49 PM
The mono should be ready of sure about the hydro

Chilli
08-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey gang, B / P-Lim hydro is fixed on www.rcracingevents.com so get those entries in!!

HOTWATER
08-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Edited this post....null...lol!

Hi Doug!

John boat
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
i am figureing it out an damn these batteries r not cheap a 20 nitro motor is cheaper i am going to have to pass on the elc stuff

Chilli
08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I've got packs I've been racing for three season and they are still strong. What does a gallon of nitro go for??

Start off with a Limited Tunnel or rigger. Or you can conver a Sport 20 if you have one. This way you only need 1 batter instead of two.

For those looking for reasonable accomodations for the race, this may be the ticket.

I understand it's clean and family owned.

http://hillsidemotelonline.com/home

Charles Jones said it was $79 a night.

HOTWATER
08-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I've got packs I've been racing for three season and they are still strong. What does a gallon of nitro go for??

Start off with a Limited Tunnel or rigger. Or you can conver a Sport 20 if you have one. This way you only need 1 batter instead of two.

I agree....my packs have lasted three seasons as welll....no prob. ...no worries about plugs, piston/sleeves, bearings ( for the most part) and most importantly the cost of nitro!!!

In my opinion, this is a great time to get into FE....:rockon2:

John boat
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
may be ill just hold off till i find a rigger or hydro

madmikepags
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
hey guys if I can come can I run my FE 1/8 w the nitro??

Chilli
08-27-2012, 08:09 PM
hey guys if I can come can I run my FE 1/8 w the nitro??

Yes you can. Same with Q-Sport hydro/Sport 40. We do have a speed parity rule though so we don't beat up on the nitro guys too bad. If your boat boat is significantly faster than the faster nitro boats, you have to prop down. It's the compromise we agreed on so the nitro guys would let us race in their classes. We love to have you come down. We had Doug Jr come down for one of our races this past spring.

HOTWATER
08-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Bring it and run!

HOTWATER
08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm gonna try and get ahold of Doug Twaits Jr. to see if he wants to attend the race .....

madmikepags
08-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Thats great with the scale, I'll prop er down!!!! The race flyer says 8 laps? is that because it's a 1/8 mile course?? and offshore is 6laps? please verify if theses are correct? I know it's IMPBA and I'm not familiar with the rules but I need to know what I'm propping for, thanks. I'll call doug in the AM i think he's planning on goin to the worlds vegas i think in oct so he might not be down for it. If the Ohio race is definitely cancelled the 15th and 16th then i will come down to race w/ u guys. I run Mostly FE but I have a .67SG and a New BackLash i would like to "whip" out!!!

Chilli
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM
The host club wanted all classes to be 8 laps except for Offshore. They are mostly a gas club and it took some convincing, but they now understand 8 Laps is not a good thing for most FE and nitro classes. So only the gas classes will run eight laps. Nitro/FE classes will run 6 lap, 1 mile heats. The only other rule that may be different is our Limited classes (Hydro and Tunnel) require the Aquacraft UL1 speed controller. For the mill, the FE's usually go in at 30-45 second and do one full mill lap. If you decide to come I'll hook you up with the FE rules. It would be nice to meet you. Bring some guys down the turnpike with you! FE, gas or nitro. It's all good!

A few of us were planning on going up for a Namba1 FE race this year but when the schedule came out ,we were surprised to see few FE races during late summer/early fall.

madmikepags
08-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Ok thanks, most of my FE setups are able to do 8-9 laps without issues but I don't like to try it too often!!! I don't race the P-lim hydro or tunnel only the limited offshore class. I raced in canada w/ the IMPBA rules and are kinda familiar w the rules and scoring. I've been asking guys to come racin w/ me to Canada and to Mi and Ohio but the guys just don't want to or can't swing it w/ work and fam stuff. Doug has done a lot of racing this spring and summer Gas Nitro and FE but I don't think he's gonna be up for goin to this race. Since it's closer than Ohio maybe a couple guys might make the trip I'll call around tomorrow.

Our FE schedule is dictated by our ponds availability, we are only able to use it before Memorial day and after Labor day it is a swimming and fishing pond that is open to the public from mem-lab day. we had 3 races in April (that was tough) 1 race at another pond the end of July and now 1 race in OCT and 1 in Nov, we also can't overlap with any Nitro/Gas races that are in our district, (NAMBA rule I believe?) and many of the FE guys race nitro and gas also. The Nit/gas guys let us race w/ them too so we can run P-mono P-hydro open Hydro open cat open mono and scale too so that gives us some other races also. I'm gonna check with the Oh guys tomorrow, if that race is done then i'll sign up for yours, I enjoy goin all over the country and racing new guys!!!!! BTW does Mick Stowe race with you guys??

John boat
08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Sounds like fun looking in to a elc hydro

John boat
08-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Thinking sport or rigger I like the zipkit rigger

madmikepags
08-28-2012, 02:29 PM
the JAE rigger works really well w P and P-spec power, lots of guys are running them in our club.

Chilli
08-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Danny, The P-Limited JAE FE has to be the best bang for the buck for FE racing. We'll always have a few at district races. I love sport hydros but I don't know if we'll ever have a Sport 20/P-Lim Sport Hydro class. We're already running sixteen classes in a race weekend. In the mean time, I run my Insane FE30 with the riggers in B / P-Lim Hydro. I wont be running it this race because I'm setting it up for SAWs.

I put a new web site up for my club which contains all the D12 Nitro/FE combined rules. Everyone should take a look at it at you leisure. Ask away if there are any questions.

www.capitolrcmodelboats.com

Mike, One of the clubs in our district has the same problem with only being able to run outside of the swimming season. I might of been mistaken, but I thought I saw a NAMBA1 FE race on last years schedule that was in August. No biggie. We'll make plans to come up next year.

madmikepags
08-28-2012, 03:30 PM
yes we have one race run by Dave Rychalsky each year in the summer months in NJ at a lake at Thompson Park, last year it was aug, this year it was in july. I think I'm gonna be coming to your race.

Doug Smock
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I think I'm gonna be coming to your race.

There goes the neighborhood!:tongue::biggrin:

You guys have fun!! Wish I could be there.
D.

madmikepags
08-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey Doug make the trip!!!!! would like to finally meet you!!!

John boat
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Hey chilli thank you for the kind words that's nice of u . Yes just called zipkits hull an hardware 310 not bad just add on battery an motor an elc I may go that way just a little at a time

HOTWATER
08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Yo Danny, you have a PM....

-Kent

ron1950
08-28-2012, 10:28 PM
wow mike u are going all the way to md for a local points race?

HOTWATER
08-28-2012, 10:45 PM
wow mike u are going all the way to md for a local points race?

It is a non points race... awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

John boat
08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
pm read an thank you

Chilli
08-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Technically its a district race. We're skipping the points championship this year. Don't know exacty where Mike lives, but it's only 3 1/2 from NYC to the race site. It probably wasnt much difference than your trip to Atlanta Ron.

Hope Issac doesnt hurt you guys too bad. Be safe!!

John boat
08-28-2012, 11:43 PM
been looking at a couple rtr something cheap is the aqucraft ul1 rtr a good pick i think thats the motor an speed contol the you guys r using in pspec an for 320 it needs a batter but then i only need one just getting ideas.an later i can use the elc in other hull

HOTWATER
08-28-2012, 11:48 PM
been looking at a couple rtr something cheap is the aqucraft ul1 rtr a good pick i think thats the motor an speed contol the you guys r using in pspec an for 320 it needs a batter but then i only need one just getting ideas.an later i can use the elc in other hull

Yep...the UL-1 Motor/ ESC combo can be stripped out later to use in another P-Lim boat...that is the same system we are running

Chilli
08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
It's a good running boat but just like the Spartan, you risk destroying the hull if you get tangled up or it stuffs. But then you can take the electronics out, buy a JAE FE kit for $100 and build it over the winter. All you'll need is rudder, strut, flex tube and flex cable.

madmikepags
08-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Well I was gonna drive 8-1/2 hours to race in Ohio but that race got cancelled!!! so I'm looking for something w/in a week or 2 of that date, this race is the week after and is a 2 day event and theres a bunch of classes I could run. I look forward to racing guys in other areas. I used to travel all over the country racing carpet and paved oval and then 1/10 and 1/8 off road from 89-2002, i kinda miss that w/ the boat racing. With cars you can pretty much find a National level trophy race almost every weekend all over the country, between all the different scales 1/18, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, 1/5, and the types onroad (carpet or asphalt) offroad nitro electric!!!! etc.......

ron1950
08-29-2012, 07:05 AM
didnt know md was so close to you mike....3.5 hrs is nothing to go race i did 6 hrs to atl a few weeks ago to run 1 class lol....you will like these guys....a good group.....wish they were closer to me :)

egneg
08-29-2012, 09:00 AM

I raced the UL-1 for a season and took 2nd in club points for the year at ODMBA. I used a M445, strut set at 1", and added 4 oz to the front end. I am not sure if it is still necessary but the turn fin had to be reinforced to handle the stress. I miss racing and hope that our club finds water to use.

Congratz Mike on the new position!

Chuck

Chilli
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks Chuck. I'm hoping ODMBA gets back on track next year also. I know alot of people want to come down there and race, no matter where the pond is......... Including me..

madmikepags
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey guys looks like Me and Doug Twaits will be attending this race!!!! cant wait......

Chilli
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Very Cool. Glad to have you guys come down!!

HOTWATER
08-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice! I did email him about it, but have not heard back from him yet...but, good deal!

madmikepags
08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I called Doug this morning and he was pretty stoked to go! We like the Gas Nitro FE combo format and the fact you have open classes for them to compete together, the open Offshore includes FE also right??? I love offshore wish u had another offshore class like LSO!!!!
I signed up for 7 classes!!! most likely will drop 1 or 2 or if you don't have enough entries in certain classes I'll be forced to.

Chilli
08-29-2012, 03:47 PM
The district members have a habit for waiting the last second to sign up. Attendance has been down a little because of the economy but we've been able to run just about all the classes. Gas rigger is one the classes that we occasionally have problems with. The offshore course is a very large M on the back stretch. It probably doubles the length of the course but FE's are allowed. We've just never had one.. untill now. I like my FE's but I like my gas boat just as much. It's just too quiet at an FE only race. I like the smell of nitro also. Read the FE rules on the Capitol Club web site and LMK if you have any questions.

John boat
08-29-2012, 04:26 PM
nitro smells the best to me i miss it so ever once in a while i fire one up :buttrock:

madmikepags
08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't miss nitro a bit!!!!!! I lost my sense of smell due to an indoor 1/8 offroad nitro race 4-1/2 years ago!!!! 15-20 cars going constantly from 8am till midnight for 3 days in an indoor equestrian arena in Harrisburg Pa, with little to no ventilation, we were wearing hospital masks the first 2 days and then army issue gas masks by the 3rd day, (not even joking) I got sick as a dog, bleeding eyes, sneezing fits (25-30 in a row), pneumonia, strep, and stuffy nose for 2-3 weeks, the sickest I've ever been in my life, when the stuffed nose went away the sense of smell never came back. went to 4 ENT specialists nothing they can do.

Chilli
08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I cant imagine running all those cars in an indoor venue. My eye's water and burn just being near my son while he's running his T-Maxx. And it's usually while I'm flying. :scared:

madmikepags
08-29-2012, 06:49 PM
it was insane to say the least. Friday practice I started to get sick, Saturday raced all day with a hospital mask on, woke up sunday morn at 6 am in a sneezing fit no less than 50 in a row and could not stop, bleeding from eyes and nose for almost an hour, went back to track on sunday almost everyone 300+ entrants all wearing army issue gas masks, I packed my stuff up and went home, and I had qualified 3rd in the B out of 140 buggies too!!!

HydroMike
08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Tell Doug my wife will record the right boat this time lol
Hey guys looks like Me and Doug Twaits will be attending this race!!!! cant wait......

ron1950
08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
hey mike is doug bringing that hugh fe cat he turned into a submarine at the nats in vero? that thing really goes

John boat
08-30-2012, 04:52 PM
well the person putting on the raced should of though of the fumes wow. ok lipo batteries can the conector an the batteries get wet i am working on something i dont like the idea of not have the esc an rx not in a sealed box i watch 3 elc boats get wreck at greenbriar

HydroMike
08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Then close ur eyes buddy lol

madmikepags
08-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Any cat he has had in the past was mine!!! I don't think he ownes one?

HOTWATER
08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
well the person putting on the raced should of though of the fumes wow. ok lipo batteries can the conector an the batteries get wet i am working on something i dont like the idea of not have the esc an rx not in a sealed box i watch 3 elc boats get wreck at greenbriar

The hull should be water tight...should be enough...I know collisions are going to happen...at that point, just cross your fingers...lol!

madmikepags
08-30-2012, 07:25 PM
fresh water has a very low conductivity almost no conductivity, until you put your body or finger goes in and the salt from your body dissacioates into the water!!!

photohoward1
08-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Mike, I can't make it. Brother-in-laws 50th. surprise party.

madmikepags
08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Bummer Howard.

Chilli
08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Danny, The only time I have fried equipment after a flooding is when I tried to use a speed controller right after it was soaked. The motor and batteries, no problem. Recievers can be a problem but a spray of wd40 usually takes care of it for me. If a speed controller gets soaked, disconnect the batteries as soon as possible. Some pour alcohol or corrosion X on it. Some spray it down with wd40. Whatever you do, let it sit for a few days and totally dry out. I believe the Spartan has a double hatch. Most FE race boats are taped down and sealed just like a radio box. BTW - Many nitro boats are hard to convert to FE because they are just too hard to tape up. I think boat builders are doing a better job of taking this into consideration when updating hulls.

Chilli
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
In typical D12 fashion, everyone is waiting until the last two weeks to get signed up. LOL Lets get on www.rcracingevents.com and get entered. Steve is getting worried. Me and John, Mike and Scott Liddycoat are the only FE's signed up so far.

From Steve Sutton on Jims's:

People need to get their entries in as the last D12 race of the season is closing in upon us quickly now. From last review we only had eleven (11) registered drivers and 39 boats. Hopefully it will start to gain momentum as the racers go over to sign up on RC racing events. I was thinking if we have less than 100 boats enter the race we might consider 5 rounds of racing? get 3-1/2 rounds in on Saturday and the last 1-1/2 round in on Sunday and be hitting the road before 2:30PM. Could be some good racing for the last D12 event. Just a thought?????

John boat
08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
i am putting all my elc but the batteries an conector in a radio box thats y i was asking if the batteries could handle water got my hands in a project with remy working on 3 differetn boats. I go for none to 3 i love aeromarine whats the best conector to use for the esc to batteries an motor

Chilli
08-31-2012, 11:16 AM
The batteries can handle water but still try to keep them dry. The little wires on the balance taps can corrode at the cell tabs over time. You need to talk Remy into doing a 34" mini Vector. I would be all over that. 5.5mm bullets are in all of my P boats. I buy them from OSE. If you can't find them, then I would go for 6.5mm Castle bullets. If you do a P-Limited boat, I consider changing the motor/esc bullets mandatory. I've seen them go bad multiple times and sometimes they take the esc out with them.

John boat
08-31-2012, 01:54 PM
ok the titan isnt a bad hull at all we r working on the tunnel cat an rigger i race all of these in nitro in the past an done good

Chilli
08-31-2012, 02:15 PM
The Titan is a great hull though like most P-Monos, it requires weight to keep stable in race water. I had well over a pound in mine. When the builders started manufacturing FE hulls they always seemed to concentrate on making them lighter because FE power a few years back was lacking. Today we see the opposite. Most FE'ers rather see extra weight used to make the hulls stronger rather than have to add weight. A Sprint Cat under the 34" (for the P power class) with a offshore hatch like the new Mean Machine wound be very cool!! The current 60/80 is about 34.5" with the overlapping deck. You probably wouldnt have to touch the bottom mold if you made it into a clam shell.

madmikepags
08-31-2012, 03:55 PM
the Titan 29 is a good boat but the power available today for P-mono is way beyond what this hull can handle, it still is a GREAT P-Limited boat but the Titan .40, DF storm, rico 31, and even the impulse 30, and pursuit boats are better for real P power.

John boat
08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
if the batteries wernt so much i may put mine together i have 20 an 40 titan elc hulls with stringers

carlcisneros
08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Mike;
am bringing the P Mono to do a prop test and the Q Mono to make a few attitude adjustments.
If the Q runs well, then I will try to get the stuff together for the race in Queenstown.

Chilli
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Cool. Bring the GPS with you please. My radar gun sucks on anything smaller than a gas boat. If the wind is down I want to get a speed on the cat with the ABC prop. Bringing the Cat, P-SportHydro and Vector.

HOTWATER
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Cool. Bring the GPS with you please. My radar gun sucks on anything smaller than a gas boat. If the wind is down I want to get a speed on the cat with the ABC prop. Bringing the Cat, P-SportHydro and Vector.

"I got your Vector, Victor....Roger Dodger, Chilli Willy, Milli Vanilli".....LOL!!!! :laugh: You guys have fun testing tomorrow!:beerchug:

Chilli
08-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Settle down Rico.......Suave :laugh:

Three weeks till the race.

HOTWATER
08-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Settle down Rico.......Suave :laugh:

Three weeks till the race.

lol!! ...just a little qoute from the movie "Airplane"...thought you might like that...he,he!

carlcisneros
09-01-2012, 12:24 AM
the GPS is in the boat box.

HOTWATER
09-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey gang, B / P-Lim hydro is fixed on www.rcracingevents.com so get those entries in!!

entry in........thanks bro!

John boat
09-02-2012, 02:31 PM
hot trailers r hell on boates they do the twist :doh:

HOTWATER
09-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh my....that sucks! How many boats got tweaked?

Chilli
09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Sorry bout that John... uh I mean Danny. Hope damage was minimal

Carl took a vid of me running the Vector yesterday. The motor misses a little toward the end because when I hit the throttle from idle, the shaft saver spun down to the stuffing tube. You need to try that Zippkits pipe Danny!! I've picked up over 1000 rpm over my CC Racing Beast Pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRG4hwDIqrM

HOTWATER
09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Looks really good bro!

HydroMike
09-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Mike just don't let it hit the john boat lol leave that to Danny lol

Chilli
09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
So that's how Danny wrecked his Vector?? Ouch!!

Doug Smock
09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
You need to try that Zippkits pipe Danny!!

:iagree:

Mike your mono is looking good bud!!:rockon2:

HydroMike
09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Ya I guess the rx batt. died

Chilli
09-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Doug: Thanks for the hookup on the pipe... and Lamar's Huff Racing motor. :thumbup1: PM me your address so I can get the "N" motor in the mail to you this week.

Mike: Ah, the old "my receiver pack battery died" story.

Danny: Get some 1700 mAh LiFe Receiver Batteries. I've raced 8 heats on a single battery in my gas boat and it had plenty of juice left.

John boat
09-03-2012, 05:37 PM
no it was out of the water flying. on the prop is what justen t ray said he was sitting in front of the john boat but i had hit so no turn fin but whatt a noise it made it may be fixed now. have to call aeromarine

HOTWATER
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
no it was out of the water flying. on the prop is what justen t ray said he was sitting in front of the john boat but i had hit so no turn fin but whatt a noise it made it may be fixed now. have to call aeromarine

Sounds like a manufacturing flaw...just tell Remy to give you another one...lol!!!!

John boat
09-03-2012, 09:28 PM
no it was my falt it all happened so fast i never let up on the triger

HydroMike
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Danny should of stayed with my story lol

carlcisneros
09-04-2012, 10:31 PM
yeah, I like your story WAY better Mike...................:rofl:

will know for sure by this friday if I can make it or not guys.

If I can make it then it will be the Pmono and MAYBE the Q mono OR B hydro

madmikepags
09-09-2012, 09:10 PM
hey guys any chance you think anyone else will sign up for open nitro-FE hydro and mono???? i'm entered in these classes but none else? need to know if I'm gonna pack these up for the ride or not? A little bummed if none else is running? Also only 2 entries for scale? will that change?

Chilli
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
The district is notorious for waiting the last second to sign up. We ususally have at least a hundred boats entered each race. There are two guys in the Baltimore Club that run scale that havent signed up yet. Doug Jr ran Open Hydro when he came in the spring. Carl who posted above you has a Open Mono but he is on the fence about coming to the race. Danny said Pop is coming and he has an Open mono also. Don Ferrette our district director usually has an F Hydro but I think he is working on a 10S rigger. The only class we've ever been short on of late is Gas Rigger. My gut feeling is I think we'll be able to run all the classes you've entered. But you never know..... I'll shake em up on IW.

madmikepags
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
OK great doug and I are coming down together so I know what he's running, just don't wanna lug down 2-3 big boats and 100lbs of lipos I'm not gonna use! Thanks.

Chilli
09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Looks like Danny signed up for Open nitro/FE hydro so if Doug Jr runs that class, we've got three.

carlcisneros
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Mike;
want me to send out an e-mail for this saturday and what time for saturday?

Chilli
09-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes please Carl. I'll be there at 10am. Thanks!

carlcisneros
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
you got it

Chilli
09-13-2012, 06:01 PM
BAD NEWS!!!!!

S Sutton has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - IMPBA D-12 Fall race is now posted - in the Clubs,Raffles,Legal,IMPBA/NAMBA Rules,Classes,District-State Activities,Races,Records,Results forum of Jim's R/C Boat Dock.

This thread is located at:
http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=65086&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Guys and Gals
I am afraid I have some bad news after talking with Mike Butler this afternoon. They have been out at the race site and the grass has gotten to thick growing up in the lake that we cannot remove it to permit racing next weekend. Mike has asked me to let all the racers know that we will have to cancel this years fall D12 race do to this issue. I guess the hot weather this summer and the lake of rain along with the water being crystal clear accelerated the grass growth in the lake beyond the normal circumstances we have been a custom to dealing with over the last several years. Sorry for the bad news but we don't want racers to come to a site that will not permit quality racing this fall. We will refund all entry fees that have been paid for this race.

Man I bumbed!!! But what you gonna do....... Thanks to Mike and Doug JR for attempting to come down and race with us. I guess we'll try and hook up again next year.

John boat
09-13-2012, 08:37 PM
yeah its bad there i saw it no running there the rest of the year.

John boat
09-13-2012, 08:37 PM
i have more time to build a elc boat

HOTWATER
09-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the post chilli...I am bummed for sure.....oh well...

Yes Danny....we are here for you anytime you need any help...plenty of time to build something good for next season!

Chilli
09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Danny, I would be happy to come up to Delmarva for the day come spring time to help you get set up. Keep us posted on your projects.

HydroMike
09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
i have more time to build a elc boat ya maybe we can get them done same time Danny ,aanndd rrrruuuunnnnnn lol u ready for ur jae rigger? LoL

HydroMike
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Chilly I'm sure it will two of us there lol

HOTWATER
09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes Sirs!

Doug Smock
09-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Sorry about the race fellas.:sad:
Bring those boats to Andersonville in Nov.
D.

carlcisneros
09-13-2012, 10:38 PM
I heard about it from Charles Jones this evening.

Thats ok, I found out I can not make it for that weekend anyway.

should be able to make the final fun running at Greenbriar the begining of next month.

see at the lake Saturday morning guys.

egneg
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear this ... I know a lot of work and planning is for naught.

:sorry:

Chilli
09-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Whatcha gonna do. The district moved this race from June to the fall so hotel rates would be lower and beach traffic would be less and I don't think anyone anticipated this happening.

Hope you can drop by at SAW's this November Chuck. It would be nice to see you.

Also hope the Chesapeake Club gets back rolling next year!! We need you guys.

John boat
09-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Yea a je sounds nice

carlcisneros
09-14-2012, 09:51 PM
ok, now when are the ACTUAL SOLID dates for the Hagerstown fun race?

I REALLY got to know by the END of the weekend so that I can put in for the time off.
If i hold off any longer, then I can not make that race.

HOTWATER
09-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Charles posted it on Jim's RCBoat dock....Oct. 5-7...

Unfortunately, I cannot make it that weekend...doh! Short year of racing for me.....

carlcisneros
09-15-2012, 12:27 AM
yeah, i hear ya buddy

short racing year for just about everyone here in Dist. 12 thats for sure

Chilli
09-15-2012, 02:41 PM
More bad news. The October Fun Run in Hagerstown has also been cancelled due to excessive grass and low water levels. The Baltimore Club is inviting all district members to come up to their practice pond in Columbia, MD next Saturday September 21st to run boats and have a barbeque. Start time is 10AM. Tim is bringing a grill.

We had a nice test n tune this morning/early afternoon with eight people showing up. Conditions were breezy but most of us got to put a boat in the water. I didnt get to do any SAW testing though.:thumbdown:

Hey Carl, The guy that let us in at the main gate (along with all the construction traffic) is the guy that usually monitors the phones. He got kicked out of his office today to stand watch at the front gate. Thats why no one was answering. LOL

HydroMike
09-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Mike u know of anyone looking for an AM jersey skiff hull and hardware all new never ran
More bad news. The October Fun Run in Hagerstown has also been cancelled due to excessive grass and low water levels. The Baltimore Club is inviting all district members to come up to their club pond in Columbia, MD next Saturday September 21st to run boats and have a barbeque. Start time is 10AM. Tim is bringing a grill.

We had a nice test n tune this morning/early afternoon with eight people showing up. Conditions were breezy but most of us got to put a boat in the water. I didnt get to do any SAW testing though.:thumbdown:

Hey Carl, The guy that let us in at the main gate (along with all the construction traffic) is the guy that usually monitors the phones. He got kicked out of his office today to stand watch at the front gate. Thats why no one was answering. LOL

Doug Smock
09-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Man you guys can't get a break!!!:ThumbsDown01:
D.

Chilli
09-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Too much rain last year... not enough this year.... I may just have come down to D13 again. LOL

Mike, is the JS ready to run minus motor? Also, is it gas or the new FE version?? How much do you want for it?? My disdain for skiffs started when I had to retrieve a flooded one during a race. :laugh:

HOTWATER
09-16-2012, 09:46 AM
My disdain for skiffs started when I had to retrieve a flooded one during a race. :laugh:

Lol!

Yeah Doug....D.12 is still cursed this year....

Chilli
09-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Don't forget last year also. The race we tried to hold for the Chesapeake Club was rained out.....twice.

I think we need to develope a line of Copper Sulfate buoys.

HOTWATER
09-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Don't forget last year also. The race we tried to hold for the Chesapeake Club was rained out.....twice.

I think we need to develope a line of Copper Sulfate buoys.

Good idea

HydroMike
09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I think we just need to do fun runs

HOTWATER
09-16-2012, 02:05 PM
...or just run swamp boats...lol!

John boat
09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
This district needs a revamping some new classses. Les classses something for new boaters to get in to cheep. Maybe even go to one day races. I think a hole new board sounds like a good start. new people with will power an want to race. some fresh ideas.
One idea i thought of after talking to tim an eric is a spec class i bought a traxxas spartin i love it . I have showed this hull an let none boaters run this hull an they have had a ball runinng it. The boat seams slow to me out of the box with the 2 stock 3000 7 cell packs. A new boater will be happy to play with this. it will get them in the water for a good price. this should be a class that ever clubs pushes at there local hobby shop. an as far as rule dont change a thing everthing stock. prop batteries motor the hole thing. This is a boat that kids an family can run in there run off ponds an then race to. just a idea. i picked this hull over other cause there parts can be bought or order very easy from ever hobby shop. the boats handles very good left an right turn with ease.

Chilli
09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Danny, You've come a long way in three years. LOL But I like the way you think. I agree we do need to do something to attract new boaters to the hobby. We have probably revamped our classes more than any other district in the IMPBA over the last few years. And it's been a good thing. We've allowed FE boats to race in just about every class that Nitro boats run. This gives the FE's a place to run while keeping heats full as nitro numbers have declined over the past few years. The first year, we started with two Spec classes(now called Limited). P-Lim Tunnel and P-Lim Hydro were created to be comptetive with the "B's" and each other, while keeping costs to a reasonable level. They are still our most popular Nitro/FE classes. Right now the Aquacraft UL1 can run in the B/P-Lim Hydro Class and any of the RTR mono's that run 4S packs can run in the B/P Mono class. Now I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to run a RTR in these classes but it's just not fair to run a Spartan or UL1 with a Seaducer or 20 Whip.

So whats the answer?? We already run (I think) sixteen classes in a race weekend so extra classes are going to be a hard sell. Novice class would be okay but lately we've had RTR's running with gas boats and we all know thats not fun. (though Trent and his son won novice with my Insane FE30 Sport Hydro in Centreville). That leaves us with the good ole RTR class. This IS the class that needs to be revamped!!! It's time for Miss Vegas to step aside! We retired the class this past spring though several clubs still choose to run it (which is cool by me). We had the same four people run the class since I started racing. Half the ones run are by kids and many times they run like crap. I get so frustrated watching the disappointment on the kids faces when their boats cant get past the mill. Not the way to attract new racers to the hobby. So now we have all these new FE offerings, the vast majority of which can probably lap a Miss Vegas. The FE's are much more reliable and people will actually have fun driving them. But here is the real kicker. I guarantee the hobby shops sell ten times more FE RTR's than Nitro. We have to use that to our advantage. This is how we can also get the LHS's involved with our racing. I would love to have Tim and Eric on board with us. Tim has been pretty good always voting in favor of combining the nitro and FE classes. Eric, not so much. I know this spring they were asking their club members to buy Miss Vega's to run at the demo event they had in Laurel in June. Again, you have to sell what people want to buy and the Miss Vegas isnt it.

So guys, tell me what you think?? If we ask to bring back the RTR class, what should it be?? Any RTR offering (FE or Nitro)? FE only? Should we pick only one boat for the class, or maybe allow only simiar hull styles that would run together well such as cats and mono. Remember the goal is to get as many new people racing as possible. I think an RTR offshore style class would be cool (not that they would run the offshore course ). We could allow the SV27, Blackjack 26, Motley Crew, Miss Gieco, Spartan, Revolt and a few others that fit within this genre.

carlcisneros
09-18-2012, 12:48 AM
in my opinion Danny, the Revolt is a much better unit all around and it is fiberglass as opposed to ABS of the Spartan.
We have seen first hand at our lake what can happen if the Spartan is allowed to really haul out and then turn into a submarine.
The hatch on the Revolt is also flat all the way around and much easier to tape down that the Spartan.
The Revolt is also about 100 bucks less that the spartan as well.

This is just my opinion is all.

Chilli
09-18-2012, 01:08 AM
I thinks we saw two Spartan hulls bite the dust last year.

Chip's Revolt did do pretty good in the chop this past weekend.

carlcisneros
09-18-2012, 01:14 AM
yepper you are right. forgot about Brians spartan.

I am very impressed with the Revolt for being a RTR boat.
I think it would also make a very good P mono as well.

the hull length is 30".

John boat
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
i dont have as much exp with the elc as u guys but a spec class of some kind with one class v cat or rydro in different claasss would be best an hit the stores before the r bought just like ama in rtr airplane kits ever rtr airplane comes with a ama ap. there has to be a spec clase so we dont go crazy with batteries an motors i would like to c some a standard with a one battery a one motor one speed control

HydroMike
09-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Well don't really matter to me I just like to have fun no matter what we do. So count me in what ever you or we deside

Chilli
09-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Well Danny, if you want to keep the class totally spec, the easiest thing to do is to pick one popular RTR and go with that. NAMBA1 runs an Aquacraft Motley Crew class. Ive seen a few others run the Aquacraft SV27's. If we go the same route, we can say no mods to the boat what so ever except paint, collet and flex (which I believe is a problem on this boat).......and mandatory removal of the NAMBA decals!! LOL If you want to go further, we can specify the recommended Grim Racer 2s 30C 4200's and 42x55 prop. I would also allow use of any radio TX and RX. Thats about as spec as you can get and we now have an incentive for the LHS's to support us.

John boat
09-18-2012, 11:18 PM
In my meany years of raceing cars an boats a spec class is a must have. everone run the same motor same hull an same batteries. If the sticker r remover from any thing it will be deamed illeagel. if these boats come with a nicad batter like the spartin thats what we run. i say this cause the batters r cheaper an there in the kit. if the rtr guys want to step up an spend money on lipos then the move up in class. you guys have allready sean what happens when there to much power in these hulls. i think ever one would agree if there 8 boats on the water an there all doing the same speed its a lot more fun. i have been looking in to getting in other hobbies again an there is nothing that you can buy an race with other. that i have found. i am on my way out of raceing so this is more of a outside suggestion. i have spent enough money over the30 years i have been in racing. The only part i find fun is running in a state pond with my dad an pissing off the fisherman. then meating the fish an wildlife an chating with then as they give the fisher man a ticket that called. yes i have saw this many times its great