PDA

View Full Version : Grim retrieval device

Doozie870
05-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Whens the new Grim fishing rod coming out? I heard you can snag a flipped SV in the first two casts or your money back!!

Mich. Maniac
05-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Ha, whew, You might touch a nerve with that! They need to put a fin on keel of sv's near cog, will keep them flat even at high speed turn

SJFE
05-01-2007, 11:41 PM
LOL funny stuff Dooz :D

MoparB
05-02-2007, 02:35 AM
Flood chamber anyone? :)

Piranha2
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I've actually drilled a hole in the hatch of the SW26 EP RS and have the top of a fishing pole in it with 30lb braided line and a 1/0 hook. I go around the keel of the capsize and snag the outdrive.

hookedup
05-05-2007, 04:31 PM
are you guys joking about the fishing pole?.....we always use a fishing pole to retieve an overturned boat. it actually works quite well. just put a tennis ball at the end, and cast over the boat and try to snag the hardware. then reel it in slow. the bigger the pole the better. we were using a 6' pole, but have switched to a 10 footer which works much better. you can cast farther and with more accuracy. we are in the process of building a retrieval boat, but until then the fishing pole works fine.

Mich. Maniac
05-05-2007, 05:08 PM
I took it as a joke. many threads had comments about sv's flipping alot. I have the perfect cure for that but have also heard about the tennis ball as well.

Piranha2
05-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Maniac, you have a perfect cure for SV's flipping over ???????? Please do tell !!!!!!!

Mich. Maniac
05-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I had an older MRP gentry eagle that took 3 motors. unbelievable speed, however in turns it wanted to either push and not turn or lean over and catch a choppy wave and roll. At the center of gravity or at the position the hull was in the water when on plane I made a plastic fin about 1" tall and maybe 1 1/2 long just rounded not even sharp. I glued that on, well, welded that on and after that even in full high throttle turns it would stay as flat as could be and even in chop would handle like a hydro. If you look at high performance ski boats this is what they use as well. I had pics but they are too large to post. I sold it last year on ebay for 200.00.

Mich. Maniac
05-05-2007, 06:52 PM
If you think about it when in a turn the fin has pressure from both sides and wont allow the hull to roll like they do. Maybe someone will try it but im positive it would work. they dont come stock cause they could easy break in shipping.

Piranha2
05-05-2007, 10:32 PM
What is that called, a keel skeg or keel fin? I know what you're talking about now. Sounds realistic concerning the turns. These guys talk about blowovers too. That's with trim tabs. IMO these 30" boats are too small and light to handle such powerful motors and speeds. Just the dynamics have to max out somewhere.

SJFE
05-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Just the dynamics have to max out somewhere.
They max out @ the edge of the owners ability to tune them:D.

Jeepers
05-13-2007, 03:27 AM
one of the guys I race with has two SV27s all he did was change out the trim tabs with some fullers adjustable ones and that seemed to cure all of his flipping/blow over problems, while setting the boats up, the wind picked up 20-25 mph and no problems, both SVs were using 12 IB 4200s X642 detounged, temps were 80 motor 110 cells esc unknown and that was after they ran until the packs dumped. went out a few days later, smooth as glass water both boats were really loose, and handled great. could go to an X646 as darin jordan suggests but the 642s were the biggest props on hand. oh and the boats seem to jump on plane much quicker too. just thought I would share what I experienced last week with these boats
Sean