PDA

View Full Version : Flex cable stuck in collet!

Mattwarner
08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I am sure I've read other threads on this but can't seem to find anything, I've removed and re-greased flexi's in various different boats tons of times, however my apparition has been upgraded to 3/16 and HOR collets which have a very course thread first time I've gone to re-grease I've loosened the collet and it's well and truly stuck! Any tips??? The gap between collet nut and stuffing tube is small so with the nut fully loosened off there's not enough of a gap to slide it forward enough to get to the fitting underneath. I've tried pulling but I don't want to ruin my flex

iamandrew
08-05-2012, 10:43 PM
are these 3 piece collets or 2 piece?
Ive got some HOR 3/16 collets that are 2 peice and havent had any issues

maybe just Wd40 it for 2 days then give it a try

If you can remove the collet and the shaft from the hull, maybe burn the collet as "technically" metal expands when its heated, so if you put some ice on the flex cable while heating the collet, it might break free

tlandauer
08-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Hopefully this discussion will help: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?34743-Found-one-at-my-LHS-Shaft-coupler-will-not-loosen-grip-on-flex! READ POST #8 & #9
I am told sometime ago that 3-piece collet has a tendency for the insert to deform over time as repeated pinching ( tightening and untightening cycles are being made). Now i don't know if yours is a 2 piece or 3 piece collet.

motorfixer1
08-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Matt, I have an Aeromarine SS body/Brass collett coupler on my Genesis and I always have trouble removing the flex to lube it. To remedy this situation I purchased a 10/32 threaded connector from the local hardware store. I remove the nut and replace it with the connector, clamp a pair of vice grips on to the connector perpindicular to the shaft and strike the vice grips with a hammer so as to force the shaft out of the coupler. Works for me every time. I can post pics if you are interested.

gyrotron
08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Matt, I have an Aeromarine SS body/Brass collett coupler on my Genesis and I always have trouble removing the flex to lube it. To remedy this situation I purchased a 10/32 threaded connector from the local hardware store. I remove the nut and replace it with the connector, clamp a pair of vice grips on to the connector perpindicular to the shaft and strike the vice grips with a hammer so as to force the shaft out of the coupler. Works for me every time. I can post pics if you are interested.
Pics please. Thx

Basstronics
08-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I had to pull the motor with aluminum motor mounts off to get a little more room to get mine apart. Promptly replaced.afterwards.

Mattwarner
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the tips, a few taps with a small hammer on the collet and some twisting and its come out, flex is slightly longer than it was before though!!

properchopper
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Matt,

put a dab of Anti-seize on the collet threads (available at auto parts stores). Allows more consistant tightening of collet and can avoid overtightening.

martin
08-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Or ditch the 3 piece coupling & fit an Octura 2 piece that releases the flex every time you undo.