PDA

View Full Version : Revolt 30 - Rudder blade setup

gyrotron
08-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to ask you guys if the Revolt rudder needs to be setup x degrees to the left in order to compensate for the prop torque. I just finished filing the rudder water intake and I cannot remember how it was originaly setup. I remember the rudder was originally loose; it would swing a few degrees freely by default, then I reinstalled rudder after filling it and adjusted the screw set on the rudder blade mount so the rudder stood perpendicular to the transom. Is this the way am I supposed to set it up? I am afraid I may have tighten something I shouldn't:frusty: , please advise.

Thx

Tom899
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to ask you guys if the Revolt rudder needs to be setup x degrees to the left in order to compensate for the prop torque. I just finished filing the rudder water intake and I cannot remember how it was originaly setup. I remember the rudder was originally loose; it would swing a few degrees freely by default, then I reinstalled rudder after filling it and adjusted the screw set on the rudder blade mount so the rudder stood perpendicular to the transom. Is this the way am I supposed to set it up? I am afraid I may have tighten something I shouldn't:frusty: , please advise.

Thx

Here's a review that has rudder setuphttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688045
Basically it says...
Make sure the rudder isn't tilted back from 90-degrees straight down coming off of the standoff bracket. It's best to have it tilted a few degrees forward, which helps plant the bow in the turns. Loosen the screws holding the rudder to the bracket, and give it a very slight forward angle, then retighten. This should be a good starting point.

osprey21
08-05-2012, 02:20 PM
This is one of our club members new Revolt 30 - it's 'box stock' and the rudder is at 90-degrees straight down and perpendicular to the transom .

AVhHSxkcPdk

Tom899
08-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Looks good! I would say run it perpedicular at 90 as a starting point. It will only move about 3 degrees either way so not a lot of adjustment.

gyrotron
08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Here's a review that has rudder setuphttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688045
Basically it says...
Make sure the rudder isn't tilted back from 90-degrees straight down coming off of the standoff bracket. It's best to have it tilted a few degrees forward, which helps plant the bow in the turns. Loosen the screws holding the rudder to the bracket, and give it a very slight forward angle, then retighten. This should be a good starting point.

Tom,

Very good review of the Revolt. Great info for starting point. I went and setup my boat accordingly and got it ready for tomorrow's 3rd run.

Thank you

gyrotron
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Osprey,

Is that Hugh's revolt?

osprey21
08-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Osprey,

Is that Hugh's revolt?
Yep.

Bduncan
02-10-2013, 11:40 AM
As luck would have it did something different and my revolt never ran better. 4s 6500 bat half inch from back. Rudder neutral turn fins all the way up top of rudder positive and touches hull. 45 68 grim racer prop. Left trim tab down a bit to counter torque roll. Boat ran better by luck than any boat I have seen.

Bduncan
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
http://db.tt/qh41SaEx

metoo
05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Basically it says...
Make sure the rudder isn't tilted back from 90-degrees straight down coming off of the standoff bracket. It's best to have it tilted a few degrees forward, which helps plant the bow in the turns. .....

By tilt "forward" does that mean pull the bottom of the rudder toward the hull or have the top of the rudder closer to the hull than the bottom of the rudder? I would assume the former.

rickwess
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Correct. Angle rudder so that the bottom is closer to the bow.

The real trick is getting it to stay in that position since the 2nd bolt to tighten it down is the shear bolt. You can't torque that down very much.

mannytx1
05-25-2013, 10:32 AM
999839998499985Hi, Mike grimracer zaborowski
I think there are serious problems with the design of the rudder, the water pickup hole is very high, need 1 inch below ( the water pickup hole should be no less than one inch below the keel) very small rudder, a minimum recommended length is 1 times the diameter of its support below Lx 15% 30”x15% = 4,5” minimum. (REVOLT 30 ONLY 4")
LVC not protects the batteries 2,9v
Water cooling system it should go through the esc first because it won't heat up the water enough to make a difference on the cooling on the motor. But if you run it through the motor first it will heat the water and then the water will heat the ESC

thank you very much

Manny