PDA

View Full Version : Boaterguy Update! have him build your boat!

siberianhusky
08-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Not hard to keep track of boaters in Canada, not a very big hobby here.
For those who remember Boaterguy he is now offering a boat building service or something on rccanada!:doh::confused2::unsure::scared::censored :

dana
08-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Isn't boater guy fairly new to the hobby?

siberianhusky
08-05-2012, 08:57 AM
He has one boat, Bling Rocket, not sure if it even runs yet. Think he's 14 or 15!
He hasn't been back here since he was told to learn something before offering advice on every setup under the sun.
He's suckered somebody into letting him build a 8s bling rocket already!

Make-a-Wake
08-05-2012, 09:00 AM
He's been on RCG learning quite a bit.........................not a real kind thread here.

siberianhusky
08-05-2012, 09:08 AM
He should not be building boats for people YET. Truth hurts! But he doesn't have anywhere near the experience, forums are great but the info doesn't magically transform itself into skills and experience. One boat and reading a bunch of forums is not enough to be offering to build boats for a price!

dana
08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, I have seen him give some uneducated advise on here.... Probably not the guy you want building a boat....

Rumdog
08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
unbelievable..

Doby
08-05-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=144384

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=143654

dana
08-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow..... All I can say at this point... Is wow

siberianhusky
08-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Just figured out who Nosbig is!

dana
08-05-2012, 09:40 AM
$30 paint job minus the $10-15 spray paint cost =$15 paint job lol.

dana
08-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey you're right...

driftah
08-05-2012, 10:06 AM
hey if people are dumb enough to let him build then whatever,If I was droppin major cash I would be doin more research to be separated from my funds.A fool and his money are soon parted they say..........those parts look like rookie cookies to me.poseidon will swallow that boat whole if it ever sees the water methinks.Anyone lookin to have me build you a saw boat Im gonna strap a neu 2028 on 10s into a ul-1 running a x990 prop with an active canard,obviously I would cut the hatch to make the pop can motor fit right lmao

egneg
08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
He is 16 and if he screws up his dad will tan his hide because the old man will be financially responsible.

keithbradley
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=144384

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=143654

He seems pretty honest about his experience level in that thread. At least he's not mis-representing himself.

I'm not sure why he felt he needed to mention me, I'm not even on that forum and I wouldn't feel like he's "stealing my business" at all...:confused2:

Basstronics
08-05-2012, 10:52 AM
I give the kid props for having heart. But if you are going to offer services you need to not only be able to talk the talk but to walk the walk.

This kids got some walking to do.

Im still a newbie by all accounts and Im still learning. But I have enough insight to give out some basic advice. Thats where I stop though. I know my limits. :)

properchopper
08-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I build boats for customers. It's scary. One mistake and you're in for some heavy :censored: I take twice as long building for customers than boats I build for myself because of how carefull you have to be. I turn down lots of builds because I haven't personally built/experienced these models. I've read some of BG's posts, most indicate lots of enthusiasm but a minimal knowledge-base. There's a well-thought out disclaimer on KB's new forum which requests posters to only post/respond to issues with apriori experience. I cringe when I read posts on any forum that are preceeded with "I think" or "I seem to remember it being said somewhere". I understand the need for being helpfull and being "part of" but irresponsible advice-giving can be a damaging gift. So is building boats for customers without suitable background/experience.

Nosbig
08-05-2012, 11:26 AM
First off, I'm 16.
Second, I have two boats, and I had an old hydro but it was built of such low quality (and I'll be the first to admit this) that I decided to part it out and sell (or involuntarily give away) the stuff in it. Plus I have an airboat and I'm building another.
Does that lynx (the twin cat for those of you who don't know what it is) in my profile picture look like it has that bad of a paint job? Sure it's not perfect but for a spray can it's not bad. And Dana, not everyone can afford an airbrush, I'm already out of money and holding down 3 jobs, I've seen tons of people paint with spray cans on boats before, and it seems to turn out just fine (mine did).
Driftah, I've got a t600 1400kv on 6S in my bling rocket, and it seems to run fine. I run a pretty big prop (k51) on it but I only do 2 minute runs so I don't have too much heat, I'm going to keep a smaller prop on it but I don't have anything at the moment. (this is the prop that supposedly draws 300A, forget who said that). So are you saying that going with a higher voltage setup but spinning the same/ smaller prop (X448/X450) will be unreasonable? MY limited education reminds me that to achieve the same wattage with higher voltage you need less amps, because V*I=P (volts times amps equals watts).
Dana, again (it seems like you're the one doing most of the bashing), can you please link me to these threads where I'm giving inappropriate advice?
This is one of the reasons I left this forum, and that old prop thread where I got bashed for suggesting the same thing as egneg.
I'm not trying to say I have very much experience building, but I think I can put together a boat with enough common sense for it to run properly.
I don't have anyone to hang out with around here and whenever I try to find someone it just makes me want to commit suicide even more, and this definitely isn't helping.
So sure, I'm different, go ahead and bash me for it. I'm trying to find something to do and trying to get as much experience as I can so that I can actually get somewhere in life. I may not be as smart as you but I'm the only 16 year old i've ever met who knows what an amp is or what a resistor does. I'll delete that thread but you guys have to learn to be a little nicer sometimes. Shoot me a PM and tell me it isn't a good idea, don't go and screw my life up again.
I'm trying to be as mature as possible here, and if I'm not please tell me and I'll take that part out of my post, not that my immaturity will stand out against the posts in here.
So thanks guys, it took you less than a week to get me off this forum again, do your best and try to stop wasting usernames so that if someone is willing to put up with all of you they have a name to sign up with.

dana
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry dude, but ya gotta admit it is funny...

keithbradley
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I build boats for customers. It's scary. One mistake and you're in for some heavy :censored: I take twice as long building for customers than boats I build for myself because of how carefull you have to be. I turn down lots of builds because I haven't personally built/experienced these models. I've read some of BG's posts, most indicate lots of enthusiasm but a minimal knowledge-base. There's a well-thought out disclaimer on KB's new forum which requests posters to only post/respond to issues with apriori experience. I cringe when I read posts on any forum that are preceeded with "I think" or "I seem to remember it being said somewhere". I understand the need for being helpfull and being "part of" but irresponsible advice-giving can be a damaging gift. So is building boats for customers without suitable background/experience.

I can relate to Tony. Customer's builds are always nicer than my own. I have one boat that I am building for myself that I plan on forcing myself to take my time with, but normally I rush through my own builds when compared to what I build for other people.

There are a lot of people on any forum that will give advice they really aren't qualified to give. It's just a natural thing I guess. I started the reputation system on my forum where you can give a poster rep points for their helpful, knowledgable advice. On the flip side, you can neg them, and take away points from their reputation if they are reckless. It's my attempt at solving this problem. It may not always prohibit people from posting things they shouldn't, but hopefully it wil give people an idea of who they should/shouldn't be listening to.
It would be cool to try something like that on OSE too...

siberianhusky
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I agree, there is much to be said knowing the limits of your knowledge and experience and accepting it, luckily it's something that time usually changes. As a tradesman I've seen what happens when people learn with other peoples money, LOL I get a call and you get charged even more to have the mess cleaned up and done properly.

properchopper
08-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I can relate to Tony. Customer's builds are always nicer than my own. I have one boat that I am building for myself that I plan on forcing myself to take my time with, but normally I rush through my own builds when compared to what I build for other people.

There are a lot of people on any forum that will give advice they really aren't qualified to give. It's just a natural thing I guess. I started the reputation system on my forum where you can give a poster rep points for their helpful, knowledgable advice. On the flip side, you can neg them, and take away points from their reputation if they are reckless. It's my attempt at solving this problem. It may not always prohibit people from posting things they shouldn't, but hopefully it wil give people an idea of who they should/shouldn't be listening to.
It would be cool to try something like that on OSE too...

Interesting watching where this thread's going :popcorn2:

FWIW I've been using the OSE forum for my daily FE nourishment from the days when it had a black background, through the blue background days to where it is now. Over time I've developed a kind of "accuracy filter" which then yielded a "listen to" and "ignore " list of poster names. I'm all for affording everyone, learned or not, to participate in the exchange of ideas but like with all media, some discrimination in interpretation needs to be practiced.

I firmly believe that we all desire to enhance the FE experience for everyone, regardless of their newness or extensive pedigree. Some, with good intentions are just being straight shooters and don't sugar coat their comments, others are more gentle - that's all.

BG, you're young and ambitious, and that's a good thing. Good chance that in your own way you'll help to advance FE with your creative ideas- I'm sure of it. Hang tight, Bro - we all get flamed from time to time :thumbup1:

Rocstar
08-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Is he actually "advertising" to build boats?
Post was deleted.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Make-a-Wake
08-05-2012, 04:56 PM
This is great, a bunch of grown men using a thread solely dedicated to bashing a child..................... what next.............:confused2:

Alexgar
08-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Make a case of the old band wagon approach I've bought boats from guys of this forum that were terribly built so I say give the kid a chance also I don't think quality or patience is relative to age

domwilson
08-05-2012, 05:19 PM
This is great, a bunch of grown men using a thread solely dedicated to bashing a child..................... what next.............:confused2:

I agree. I'm closing this.