PDA

View Full Version : Is this hull totalled??

RogerA
08-04-2012, 02:29 PM

I would appreciate advice on this hull - is it totalled?? :doh: (see attached pictures)

If not totalled, what's the best way of repairing it?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Roger

osprey21
08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
IHMO yes, it's toast.

dana
08-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I agree, junk it.

RogerA
08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
So I guess the next question is.....
What hull would you recommend that would be suitable to move the motor / rudder etc into?
I want to stick with a cat if possible

Many thanks for the advice

Roger

ron1950
08-04-2012, 04:49 PM
does aq sell the hull alone?

Doby
08-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Gotta ask what happened???

Bullwink
08-04-2012, 05:09 PM
There is a MC Hull and Hatch only. No Hardware or electornics, on sale for $160 on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AquaCraft-Motley-Crew-Boat-Hull-FE-Catamaran-/390449891639?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item5ae8a08937

I would try to repair it, if nothing else, to learn how and gain some experience working with fiberglass. You may need that experience in the future. Hopefully, not on as much damage. :-)

lenny
08-04-2012, 05:27 PM
:tiphat:
Just a little duck tape and paint it will be fine,:just-kidding:
It a good time to learn how to work with fiberglass.

LarrysDrifter
08-04-2012, 06:05 PM
The damage is pretty rough, so I say get another hull...say, the one linked above, but as others said, tinker on the damaged hull for some repair experience. Another hull option for transferring your parts into is an Aeromarine Mean Machine. I believe its similar in length, but a bit wider than the MC, which will handle better. Look at the Mean Machine OSE sells with the tape friendly hatch. Looks have been improved too.

RogerA
08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Gotta ask what happened???

A friend was controlling the MC, I was chasing (and catching up fast) with my UL-1 (WOT) - then he did a 180.......
I had to pull bits of MC out of the UL-1 sponson, and it's seam split, but it's repairable.

and one other small detail.... the MC is my wife's boat......:help:

lenny
08-04-2012, 06:42 PM
:lol:
Dead meat.:hide:

RogerA
08-04-2012, 07:00 PM
I already ordered a replacement MC........

But - since the wreckage now belongs to me, I going to do as suggested, I'll transfer the hardware to a new a Mean Machine Hull and I'll also try to fix MC as a learning experience, and hopefully will have a back-up hull at the end of it.

Since there is nothing much to build off of, my plan to is cut away the damage and then either
a) glue in a peice foam and shape it or
b) create a skeleton out of balsa,
and then fiberglass over it.

Am I on the right track?

tunnelvision
08-06-2012, 08:35 AM
I have done similar repairs and they have come out really good. Since you ordered a replacement hull you could can use the sponson as a reference point for shaping it and for building a support brace for the inside. I use epoxy resin, microballoons and fiberglass cloth. I wouldnt trim that much of the damage away either and Be prepared to sand a lot!!
One problem with this repair is the hull will be out of balance and the damaged sponson will weigh more. One reason I like the MG better, you have access to the interior of the hull. You will have to find a way to balance the weight.

It can be fixed and would be a real good learning experience for you..
I buy damaged boats on here and fix em up so if you decide you don't want to deal with it let me know. I would gladly take it off your hands.
Also,If you want some help just pm me and we can talk.

Rob

D for Dummy
08-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone looking for an Aquacraft Motley Crew hull for a build?

I will be posting one or two Motley Crew hulls for sale later tonight. I may include other OEM parts as requested if an agreeable price can be reached.

RogerA
08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Anyone looking for an Aquacraft Motley Crew hull for a build?

I will be posting one or two Motley Crew hulls for sale later tonight. I may include other OEM parts as requested if an agreeable price can be reached.

Please PM me with a price - thanks

RogerA
08-10-2012, 09:06 PM

OK - as suggested by the collective, I'm using this as a learning experience :confused1:

I've started by gluing in a balsa block and sanding it to the approximate shape of the sponson.

My question (apart from, did I screw up already?), is what kind of glass to use. I was about to go forward with glass mat, and it occurred to me the chopped glass may be better for sanding the sponson to the right shape.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Roger