PDA

View Full Version : New lipo battery wont take a charge

itspfo
08-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I just bought new lipo sky lipo battiers and when i put them on the charger my charger reads IN VOL ERR why is this. Do i need to charge at a low voltage what im I doing wrong

dana
08-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Sounds like the voltage set on your charger does not match the battery voltage

backbayboy
08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Unless you have a plug in voltage checker (checks each cell) one of the cells might be too low or too high. Try cycling the batt in balance mode first or discharge mode. I don't see that Steve sells them but you need to get one of these Value Hobby Sells them 3.99 http://www.valuehobby.com/lipo-voltage-alarm-tester.html shipping is only 3.99 too.

dana
08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Backbayboy, do you own every rtr out there? Lol geez man, you might have an addiction. I counted 18 boats.... That's ALOT of boats

Make-a-Wake
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I just bought new lipo sky lipo battiers and when i put them on the charger my charger reads IN VOL ERR why is this. Do i need to charge at a low voltage what im I doing wrong

What mah and cell count is the Lipo? What voltage does it read now as well?? Do you have a tester for each cell.................if not a standard voltage meter with the metal prongs will work to test each cell thru the balance connector. I can help you if you answer these questions.

itspfo
08-03-2012, 11:47 PM
5000 mah 2 cell 7.4v right now out of the box it reads 7.6 volts and no i dont have a tester for each cell. Thank you for taking the timw to help me with the problem.
I do have a volt meter

itspfo
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM
I bought 4 new sky lipo battery 5000mah 7.4v 2 cell. Right out of the box they have 7.6 volts, When hooked up to the charger. I get a IN VOL ERR message. Si I lowered to amps to on the charger down to 0.5a and it will charge at that rate. Ive got one of the batterys up to 7.75 volts and tried to put in on the charger at 4.0 amps and i still get the same message IN VOL ERR some one pointy me the right direction :help:

Nosbig
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM
If you have a voltmeter you can CAREFULLY put it on the metal pins on the balance connector, do you understand the pinouts on a balance connector?
Check to make sure you aren't setting it on 1S or 3S (or some other cell count), what charger do you have?

marko500
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Wouldn't IN VOL ERR be a problem with the voltage going into the charger from the power supply source? At least thats the way it is on my Venom Pro charger and on my Hyperion Duo.

Make-a-Wake
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Wouldn't IN VOL ERR be a problem with the voltage going into the charger from the power supply source.

Bingo!! When I overload my wall outlet and use three or four chargers, at some point one of them sags enough to give that error. What else is plugged in there..............try another wall socket.

marko500
08-04-2012, 12:07 AM
What charger is it?

What are you using for a power supply?

If I plug my Hyperion Dou into the cig lighter plug near the rear hatch in my SUV I get that error, but if I hook it directly to the battery it works fine. Mostly if I try charging 2 4s packs at a higher rate. Had it happen on the Venom Pro and had a loose connection into the charger from the power supply.

itspfo
08-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Extreme Racing R-605 is the charger and i tried to use another outlet still same messsage

Make-a-Wake
08-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Its still the voltage "IN" to the charger...................... Does your charger have a seperate power supply?

TheShaughnessy
08-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Wouldn't IN VOL ERR be a problem with the voltage going into the charger from the power supply source? At least thats the way it is on my Venom Pro charger and on my Hyperion Duo.

Yep. Input voltage error. Sounds like power supply is no good.

backbayboy
08-04-2012, 03:33 AM
It's not just boats. I have the Traxxas Bandit, E-maxx, Summit, Ken Block Gymkhana. Kyosho Dark Impact, Tamia Fox ,Losi Mini Desert Truck, RedCat Lightning EPX. And I just got into R/C 3 years ago. The OT's gotta go somewhere. LOL

dana
08-04-2012, 09:06 AM
It's not just boats. I have the Traxxas Bandit, E-maxx, Summit, Ken Block Gymkhana. Kyosho Dark Impact, Tamia Fox ,Losi Mini Desert Truck, RedCat Lightning EPX. And I just got into R/C 3 years ago. The OT's gotta go somewhere. LOL
Lol awesome dude! I'm just outside Boston, we should run boats sometime -)