PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Motley Crew off the F/S area, and I need some help

Jason4636
08-01-2012, 09:12 PM
This is my first boat, but I've been into RC cars, trucks, an Heli's for years. So I need your guys advice.

I just bought an MC off the F/S area on this forum. It came with a Traxxas waterproof servo, CC Hydra 120a ESC, Leapord 4074 2200kv, an OSE FG motor mount with rear ring, Octura X445 B/S.

Well since the motor was aligned horribly. I tore the boat down to a bare hull. And now I'm going to CF the inside of the hatch and the front 1/2 of the tub where the motor is going, and align it right this time. Putting in the OSE upgraded shaft. And putting 5.5mm Connectors on everything. And some other upgrades I need your help with.

1. What is a direct drop in dual water pick-up rudder? I wanna have a single line to the esc and motor. The water temp gets hot down here in Southern Oklahoma. Or just keep the stock one, and run a splitter?
2. On the ESC I got, will I need a BEC when I run 4s?
3. What timing should I run with the Leapord 4074 2200kv?
4. What are some of your guys prop suggestions? I do have the X445, is it to big?
5. Should I foam inside the hull?
6. What kind of speed should I see out of this setup? Running 4s2p 5000mha(maybe haven't bought them yet)

I'm sure I will have alot of other questions later on. Thanks in advance.

Nosbig
08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
You should just be able to run a splitter and have enough pressure.
I'm not sure about the BEC, does it say that on the site?
Go for 5 or so degrees on the timing.
The x445 should be okay, but don't run any bigger than that, you might want to pick up an x442 as well. You are balancing/sharpening right?
If you do use expanding foam, do it in small batches, and do multiple batches so that you don't push the hull open, let each one dry before doing more.
You should see at least 40 mph out of it, if not more.

dana
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM
running a splitter is a bad idea. water takes path of least resistance.
timing for leo 2200 4074 is 15 degrees
prop suggestion will be m445
foam? wouldnt bother but you can if you want.
speeds expected will be around 50mph

xlandguy
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
with that motor and prop you will need to be careful with temps, I would think that boat would do in the 50+mph range with that setup, but might be cutting it pretty close with the 120. Might try a Grim 42-55 too, or an M445. I foamed mine and like the result. A rock solid feeling hull.

dana
08-01-2012, 09:32 PM
with that motor and prop you will need to be careful with temps, I would think that boat would do in the 50+mph range with that setup, but might be cutting it pretty close with the 120. Might try a Grim 42-55 too, or an M445. I foamed mine and like the result. A rock solid feeling hull.
i agree the 120 may not be safe for long. better to grab something larger

xlandguy
08-01-2012, 09:51 PM
With all due respect, you will find that the general feeling is that it's just too much motor for that hull. Thats the idea that I get after doing alot of reading these and other forums. Crash the MC at over 50 and be prepared for a wreck.

Mine: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?36227-More-Motley-Crew-can-t-stop-messin

Jason4636
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Xlandguy - I hear you on the motor, I'd rather have a 1600-1800kv. But thats what came with the boat. I do have a question for you though. What kind of connectors are you using in your boat? Do you have your esc hard wired to your motor?

Nosbig - the prop I got with the boat was already sharpened.

I really don't wanna run a splitter, I'd rather have a rudder with dual pickup's. If not I'll get a single pickup and use it with the factory pickup.

Would you guys advise me to run it on 3s till I get a bigger esc? Or just get a smaller prop?

Plus I'm thinking on moving my esc to in front of the motor. Keep my wires from the esc to motor as short as possible. I had read it keeps down on your heat and resistance.

xlandguy
08-01-2012, 10:33 PM
On the ESC to motor I have 6mm XT-150's, and Castle 5.5mm bullets on the battery side. I lengthened the motor wires a bit to ease the bend and put less strain, and I put more shrink wrap around where the wires enter the motor. I just realized that won't apply to you, the wires thing.

Jason4636
08-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm kinda leaning towards putting the esc in front of the motor, and hard wire the esc for parallel only. Using 5.5mm castle connectors on motor side an battery side. I just hope that CC 120a is not to small, and last me till winter. Or till my other boat gets here. I have a FC Fantasm built by Keith Bradley being sent out friday from him. He's sending it to Stere at Airbrush alley. Then hopefully I get it, around Aug-Sept.

I kinda jumped off the deep end when I deciced to get in to RC Boats, and went kinda backwards compared to what I should have done. I know I'll run the MC way more than I will my Fantsm. Atleast till I learn some about boats.

Thanks to anybody that is giving me advice. And keep it coming

siberianhusky
08-01-2012, 11:01 PM
SV27r rudder blade is a direct replacement for the MC blade, it has a single pickup, use that and the sponson pickup works great. I ran the original exit as a new second intake line in the transom. Then made up some extended water outlets and put a pair in the port side of the hull where I can see them when its running.
Used some of the biggest aluminum pop rivets I could find, pushed out the mandrel, JB welded some brass tubing into the rivet, Spun them in a drill and polished the face. Drilled the holes in the side of the hull right through the tub, used SHoeGoo to glue them on the inside and outside. Worked great for 2 seasons so far.
The brass tubing I used has a larger inside diameter than either the esc or motor nipples. I could have used smaller rivets but the size I used was easy to work with and I had the brass to fit right in.
My Motley is much happier with life since I took out the Castle and put a spec motor back in. Hasn't tried to self destruct in a year now!

Heaving Earth
08-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Use m440 on 4s

properchopper
08-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey, You guys are taking away all my fun - I was going to chime in, but ate some dinner first & most of the questions are now answered BUT I'm going to offer my 2 pesos :

1: Use the existing pickup OR add the UL-1 rudder for a second one. As Dana pointed out, splitters favor the component with the least resistance and short the one with the most (the motor). You won't need much cooling unless you go nuts with props.

2: The CC 120 has an internal BEC. Use it. The esc won't last too long anyway; the 4074 will pull way more amps than 120 and ultimately it'll eat the speedy.

3: 15 degrees will work

4: the X445 will be fine. That motor will spin an M545 or an X447. (see comments below)

5:Don't bother with the foam. Tricky to get a full void fill and won't prevent hull cracking - it's just too thin

6:My MC in oval trim with an AQ2030 spec motor and nicely thinned/cupped M445 [4S2P 4000mah] gets slightly over 50mph and just did 8 1/2 laps in a race last Sunday. mill + 6 laps + 2 penalty laps(I do run a small fan on the front of the motor)

Reality check : The MC is built to run (and stay together with)a stock AQ 1800KV motor and NO MORE and will do @ up to 50mph. The hull is not strong enough to withstand the enevitable fliperoos with the setup you plan to run (which'll get you to 60mph). I need forward placed 4s2P batts and an air dam to minimize aerobatics. The hull will take off like a rocket ship at higher speeds.

Pop in a UL-1 motor & prop with a razor-sharp M445 or AQ 42/55 & have fun minus the hull repairs and esc replacement you'll be
setting yourself up for. (I just ended a sentence with a preposition).

Your Fantasm should definitely satisfy your need for speed :wink:

Jason4636
08-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Properchopper- would my setup work better on 3s2p? Less volts less heat right? Or just run a smaller prop? I really don't have a need for speed, its just what all came with the boat when I bought it, just trying to get it to work with what I got.

Granted my fantasm is going to be able to run on 8s-10s but mostly on 8s. Keith said it should run high 50's low 60's. But with a full CF 41" hull, with CF reinforcement. It should be a very solid boat. I just want a couple more toys to play with, not looking to race or anything like that(yet). Keith did say I could run on 10s at about mid 90's mph but I will more than likely never run it above 8s.

Jason4636
08-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Would a t-180 esc work better and let me run 4s?

Properchopper - I seen your post on that air dam your talking about. How far back from the front lip did you place it. Wasn't it a wiper blade?

Nosbig
08-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Wiper blades work (although I haven't needed an air dam, yet) I read somewhere that 2" behind the front was good.
The t180 will definitely hold up and is a bullet proof ESC.

properchopper
08-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Would a t-180 esc work better and let me run 4s?

Properchopper - I seen your post on that air dam your talking about. How far back from the front lip did you place it. Wasn't it a wiper blade?

Jason, First let me say that I'm glad you didn't take offense to my "tough love" answer ; it's just that I have lots of time under my belt with the MC & know it's weaknesses as well having been through several CC120's in the past and want to save you from some grief. Fact is I just finished repairing a little chunk of hull on mine I got from tapping a buoy during the race (1-lap PENALTY !) (the penalty to make it an eight lap race for me was 'cause I cut a buoy in the same heat - had to replace a dead servo with one which had a too-long servo arm making the steering rather quick & twitchy - EXCUSES! - though I lapped one boat in that heat-sweet !). In fact I can usually get out in front of the Geicos and stay out of traffic & rail rubbing otherwise I'd be piling on the Bondo each heat. Enough about me or I'd be bragging about taking a Second Place Class Finish at the Nat's behind the Snowman's MC :cool:

Here's what I'd do : shelve or store for the future use or sell the CC120 & run a T-180. No worries - we use them on all the bigger P-Monos & Sport Hydros and they don't break a sweat. Run the X440 or an X440/3 on 4S2p & play all day. Avoid immovable objects and/or other watercraft & enjoy !

The air dam is a wiper blade. (My neighbor's gonna hate me when it rains ):just-kidding: Used the inter-ocular trauma test to find the right spot (stared at the bottom until the correct location hit me between the eyes, then stuck it down).

Jason4636
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Properchopper - What is your name? I've read it before, but for the life of me. I can't remember it. How you said something about "tough love", I'll take any advice as long as its good advice. Yea man no offense taken. I'm a new guy to this boating thing, but I catch on fairly quick.

I've been reading and surfing this forum and others for 2 months, before I ever pulled the trigger on getting a boat. And I've learned alot in these last 2 months. This is a great forum, only thing I don't like on this forum that I do like in some of the others. On this forum, if your a new guy. And you kinda ask a stupid question, after one guys starts bashing you. You better watch out cause then everybody starts bashing you. I had good luck though with my few post, everybody was helpful. AND I THANK YOU GUYS FOR THAT!!!! Keep the suggestions coming.

properchopper
08-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Properchopper - What is your name? I've read it before, but for the life of me. I can't remember it. How you said something about "tough love", I'll take any advice as long as its good advice. Yea man no offense taken. I'm a new guy to this boating thing, but I catch on fairly quick.

I've been reading and surfing this forum and others for 2 months, before I ever pulled the trigger on getting a boat. And I've learned alot in these last 2 months. This is a great forum, only thing I don't like on this forum that I do like in some of the others. On this forum, if your a new guy. And you kinda ask a stupid question, after one guys starts bashing you. You better watch out cause then everybody starts bashing you. I had good luck though with my few post, everybody was helpful. AND I THANK YOU GUYS FOR THAT!!!! Keep the suggestions coming.

Jason,

You'll find lots of well-meaning advice here; sharing info is a rewarding part of this thing we call FE. Though well meaning, often times there's suggestions based on what one thinks, or heard. I personally refrain from this, only jumping in where I've had direct, hands-on history with what's being discussed. Fact is I only run "P" or 4S rigs so I won't comment on other setups. (My exclusive residency in "P" class has earned me the nickname "His Royal P-Ness" -Uh, wait a minute....:crying:)

Better just to call me Tony :thumbup1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMTnLHDWRA

xlandguy
08-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Properchopper, I got the idea for my red "Fangs" from your boat!

Jason4636
08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm also painting my front tips and the ride surface red like Tony did. I'm in the middle of Blueprinting the ride surface and motor wire right now. Then its a waiting game for all my parts to come in. I'll post up some pics of the rebuild once I get her done.