PDA

View Full Version : A Simple and Reliable 2.4GHz Radio?

10gauge
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
What is a simple and reliable 2.4 GHz radio that has steering trim? I haven't been running FE boats for about 4 years at which time these microwave band radios were just coming into the market. I am trying to get back into the hobby, and convert my 75MHz fleet. I tried the Tactic radio on my UL-1 and it's very glitchy - it takes 5 minutes to initialize the motor, even after adjusting for the throttle trim. Is there another radio that every likes and is readily available?

Thanks

Heaving Earth
07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Tactic needs throttle channel reversed and throttle trim all the way up.
Tactic is the simplest best radio for boats IMO

monojeff
07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I have been using a flysky gt3 for over a year and had no issues.

motorfixer1
07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a spektrum dx2-s and it is great but on the expensive side. I also have been running the HK gt-2 system and have no complaints as of yet. Small reciever size and low price make the HK radio my favorite.

Basstronics
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Im using the fancier flysky gt3 radio on multiple receivers.

The unit is $40 for the radio/receiver. One radio will allow like 8 or 10 (cant remember off hand) models programed/saved.

If you want REAL cheap the Hobby King 2.4 can be had for $20 in the USA warehouse. Note HK receivers and Flysky receivers are the same and can be used with either radio.

Heaving Earth
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I also use the flysky gt3. Great radio. But not as simple as tactic to set up IMO. I figure you have the tactic, use it.

MassiveOverkill
07-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Im using the fancier flysky gt3 radio on multiple receivers.

The unit is $40 for the radio/receiver. One radio will allow like 8 or 10 (cant remember off hand) models programed/saved.

If you want REAL cheap the Hobby King 2.4 can be had for $20 in the USA warehouse. Note HK receivers and Flysky receivers are the same and can be used with either radio.

HK is always out of stock in both the US and Global warehouse of the GT2. I got Aaron to start carrying it. A little higher, but no shipping, and of course, the shipping time from China:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Fs-gt2-2_4g-2ch-Remote-Controller-Transmitter-With-Receiver-For-Rc-Car-Boat-p-48557.html

10gauge
07-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys! I'll keep the Tactic and purchase another Flysky GT3/2 just to try out. WOW! Radios have gotten cheaper - can't go wrong with $28. I wonder, if I can still use my Hitec HS 545BB servos with a 2.4GHz radio?...

Basstronics
07-31-2012, 05:27 AM
Yup no issue.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/rccarradios.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10608__Hobby_King_GT_2_2_4Ghz_2Ch_Tx_Rx_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16199__HK_GT3B_AFHDS_2_4ghz_3_Channel_Radio_Syst em.html

10gauge
07-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks Bass!

Basstronics
07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
One BIG word of caution. These dont like to get wet. If you get the receiver wet its basically junk.

Corrosion X is a MUST.

Fast Guy
07-31-2012, 10:13 PM
I also bought a FlySky GT3B to use with my smaller boats and rock crawlers. Once I had the radio for a while I found that it worked very well having as much range as my Futaba 4PL and felt very much like the Futaba. The receivers are only $7.40 ea. I recently upgraded the firmware on the GT3B and it now has more features than my 4PL.

- 3-8 channels
- 60 model memory
- Sub trims
- More trim value (up to 99)
- copy models
- fixed expo
- Model reset
- Channel speed
- 4WS Mixing
- Dual ESC Mixing
- Dual ESC steering
- Multi Positions Switches (Up to 8 True positions out of a single push button)
- Key Mapping (any key can control any channel in many different ways)
- Calibration Menu
- Key Test Menu
- Backlight on time
- Inactivity Alarm
- Adjustable Low volatge warning
- Adjustable Maximum End Points (Up to 200% i think)
- Adjustable dead zone for steering and throttle
- Turn keep beeps on/off
- Adjustable long press delay

The Trim and d/r keys can do this

- nothing, it is possible to assign each button individually as key
- trim of channel 1/2
- dualrate of steering/forward/back
- expo of steering/forward/back
- change channel "n" value in range -100...100
- subtrim of channel "n"
- 4 wheel steering mix -100...100%
- DIG throttle mix -100...100%
- Multi-POsition, switches position up/down
- steering speed turn 1...100%
- steering speed return 1...100%

They Can be setup to act like this

- momentary, hold left/right trim key to get end values,
when nothing pressed, servo is at centre
- no long keys, long press is the same as short press
- autorepeat is on
- long press of one of trim keys will reset to
centre/reset value
- long press of trim key will set to coresponding end value

And they can have an adjustable step rate, opposite click reset, reversed, etc.

And the Keys (ch 3 button, back button, end button, and the trims if set individually)

- nothing
- switch channel "n" value from one end value to opposite end
value.
- reset value of channel "n" to centre
- switch crab (CRB) no-crab (NOC) for 4 wheel steering
- switch DIG mix between -100 and 100 (more useable when using
return to previous val key setting)
- Multi-POsition, switches position up (at END back to 1.)
- Multi-Position Reset, switches position to first one

10gauge
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks Fast Guy for the detailed list of upgrades. How do you upgrade the firmware?

Thanks

Fast Guy
08-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks Fast Guy for the detailed list of upgrades. How do you upgrade the firmware?
Thanks
flysky-gt3b-transmitter upgrade (http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/394162-flysky-gt3b-transmitter-200.html)
Check out post #3000

gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html)

I did the firmware upgrade myself but it takes some soldering and computer know how. There are many that offer the service for a small fee in the USA and Canada.

Heaving Earth
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
What happened to simple? How many useless features do you need for an Rc boat?

10gauge
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
What happened to simple? How many useless features do you need for an Rc boat?Curiousity mostly. I didn't realize these units were that versatile. The only frills I welcome is steering trim, otherwise I am sticking to simplicity.

ratchet
08-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I also use the FSGT-3B, and am in the process of getting more receivers to use this for my trucks as well. For under $10 a receiver you can't go wrong.

I may try to dunk one in plasticote to waterproof, as there is not much room in my hull for a box / o-ring.

For the price, I believe it has a nice feel to it, in my opinion. Only one small compaint - if you use the trim arrows instead of navigating through the menu, you have to push the round button in to get out of the adjust mode. No real biggie, just something that I notived when I went to digital trim versus the old knob

Fast Guy
08-02-2012, 06:08 AM
What happened to simple? How many useless features do you need for an Rc boat?

The GT3B works just fine in it's stock form. For $40.00 it is well worth a look. I flashed my firmware to run 4WS and winches in my scale crawler and to add a count down timer for running my boats.