PDA

View Full Version : Another Motor cutt-off story

Wakesetter
05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Setup: Stock setup with Pro Boat 3600's

After tossing her in the water and hitting full throttle the boat cuts out. I have read all the threads and tried numerous fixes with no luck. My brand new BJ needs help. I called ProBoat today and they claim it is a motor issue and they will be sending a new one to arrive next week. I find that strange as the boat will runs fine full throttle out of water. Should I just purchase the programmer and try reprogramming it? ALso what should be the voltage of the fully charged batteries 14.4? thanks

Rex R
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
hot off the charger nimh cells(12pack) ought to be in the 17-18v range(1.5v per cell), lipos 16.8v.

Wakesetter
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks Rex! I will check them tonight. As for the cut-off issue it is still unknown....

Fluid
05-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Are you running a BEC or a receiver pack? If BEC, a low voltage drive pack 'could' cause the receiver to lose signal depending on the radio. 14.4 volts is far too low for a 12 cell pack that is fully charged, this could be part of your problem if your pack actually reads so low. What does it show hot off the charger? A pack will show a drop in voltage under load, a bad pack can drop to ca. half voltage under some circumstances. Running the motor without a load proves very little.

ProBoat's comment that it is a motor issue may indicate that they are familiar with the problem. I can't think of an easy explanation for a bad motor to cut out as you describe, but it is possible. BTW, you should never run your boat at full throttle out of the water. Nothing good can come of it, and several bad things can happen.

Wakesurfer
05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
The programming card seems to be a common fix from what I have been reading here. It seems to have worked for my boat, but I switched to LiPo when I got the card. If my Nimh packs were part of the problem, I wouldn't know. I guess it is a little late for Pro Boat to repackage everything, but that little item should come with every boat they ship IMO.

Wakesetter
06-09-2008, 11:57 AM
The programming card did the trick! After the ESC was programmed the boat ran fantastic. Thank you all for you input, now on to fix some handeling issues.

pulser
06-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Having the same exact problem. Full throttle no prob out of water. In the pond the motor cuts out at about 1/2 throttle. The obvious first though is that there is somehow too much load, but the motor/batts/esc all stay cool. Driveline check shows no unusual source of resistance. Looking for help here. Where are all these threads you refer to regarding this similar problem. I would like to get around buying a programming card if possible - dunno why I should need one, had been running great initially without one. Thanks for any help.

Wakesurfer
06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
IMO the card should be included with the boat. That will be your best bet for fixing the cutoff though. I've heard of a few tricks with holding the throttle on a little as you turn one the ESC, but I'm not really sure how well that works. Mine made it's first run on fresh peaked Nimhs just fine, but after that the 3/4 throttle cut off reared it's ugly head. Got the card and switched to LiPo, no problems since. Good luck with it though.