PDA

View Full Version : Selling and shipping boats

JimClark
07-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Going to put a boat up for sale but was wondering how people have packed and shipped boats and gotten them there in one piece? Have you stripped hardware like the rudder, turn fin ect off? Who did you ship with?

Jim

ron1950
07-27-2012, 10:07 PM
jim i dont strip any hardware but do use a ton of bubble wrap and foam if i can get it.....make a good box that will fit without the boat beable to move around and use fed ex...just seems to arive in better shap then big brown......on cats use alot of stuffing on the tips etc....

marko500
07-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I have not shipped any but all the ones I've gotten have had.
- foam or something protecting the bow
- all hardware removed and wrapped up, usually stored inside the boat.
-LOTS of foam or even crumpled up paper
- seems like the boxes that come USPS have less damage then the UPS ones
Knock on wood they have all made it here with no damage. Thanks to all the guys I've bought from.

Make-a-Wake
07-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Jim, I made a wooden crate for a 39" Vee from Lauan(?)..........thin panel-like sheet of 8x4. I cut it about 6" longer than the total length of the boat and about four inches wider than the width. This gives a couple inches around the boat for padding/filling. I used 1x2's for the framing. Total material cost was 20 bucks and about an hour time. I wrapped the nose in bubble wrap, then i wedged pool noodles around the sides, and finally filled it very full and tight with packing 'popcorn'.

The nose is definately the most important part really wrap it up well.

I have also used sturdy cardboard boxes with plenty of filling, kinda depends on where its going, size of the boat and how much its worth.

Heaving Earth
07-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I take off stuff like rudders and turn fins. Then bubble wrap (lots) and lots of tape in a good solid cardboard box. I ship USPS without issue

Basstronics
07-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Most of the ones Ive received have the rudder blade and prop removed. The nose of the mono into a piece of foam taping the foam on so it can not come loose. Then usually bubble wrap around it and peanuts for fill. Oh and foam on the rear also.

I have taken items into The UPS Store to have it boxed and wrapped up and then to USPS to ship.

RayR
07-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Remove rudder and turn fin. Lots of bubbble wrap. Go to local bicycle shop and pickup a bike box for free and cut to size. Ship via FedX Ground. Do not use UPS, both expensive and it will arrive in pieces.

Make-a-Wake
07-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Do not use UPS, both expensive and it will arrive in pieces.

I've been trying to get an Insurance claim from UPS for 3 months now on a damaged boat shipment.

Jersey Crewmax
07-28-2012, 07:02 AM
I have to say I've never had any issues with UPS. I do however get a very good rate with them so that might sway my feelings about them.

jamespl
07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I've been trying to get an Insurance claim from UPS for 3 months now on a damaged boat shipment.
Did you refuse the package on arrival? If not I think you will struggle to claim.

Shooter
07-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Absolutely 100% agree. In my experience, UPS is abusive to packages, and they are more expensive. If you ever need to ship anything above ~5lbs or so, FEDEX will be considerably cheaper. Check the rates!!

I had one incident with FedEx regarding a damaged package. I talked to a human, and an insurance check was at my doorstep within 3 days. UPS has damaged several of my packages and it's always an absolute hassle. Thumbs down to UPS.

JimClark
08-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the reccomendations guy's the boat arrived in SoCal in great condition. FedEx rocks for sure. but doubt I will be shipping boats again.

tlandauer
08-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I can attest to that, I am "that guy" and the FedEX shipping was first class, no dents on the boxes and they really check my signature.
Having said that, I have to give all the credit to Jim for the packing though, the attention to detail to ensure that not only it is well padded but none of the contents can move no matter how you carry the box. Packing is an art form because I have numerous boats damaged , the worst was DF 45" Sniper, granted it was a larger than usual package, nonetheless, the quality of packing in the end protects the boat, no two ways about it.