PDA

View Full Version : Motley Crew or Mystic 29

Big power
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Im on the fence about which boat to buy.

What is the difference in Motors? The MC says 6 pole

Best build quality

Which boat is better out of the box?

Most upgrades available

Thanks in advance.

Fluid
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome! Both boats are very good RTRs. Neither is perfect, but considering the price point they are great. Both motors have 6 poles, have a nominal 1800 Kv and can propel the boats to near 50 mph with good cells and a good prop. Both have decent 2.4 gig radios. Both have a lot of upgrades available. It really comes down to which boat appeals to you - they have markedly different appearances.

Big power
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I bought the MC today. I was thinking of 2s 5000 40c lipos. That should do the trick??????

Switch
07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
You wont be disapointed the MC is an awsome boat!

JonD
07-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Guys,

I have a mate who is trying to decide (his first FE boat - wants RTR) between Motley Crew, ProBoat Mystic Cat or Miss Geico.

1/ Am I right in thinking that Mystic would be a closer match to Motley Crew than Miss Geico? I believe that Miss Geico and Mystic are the same hull but Miss Geico seems to have a lower Kv motor and smaller ESC than the other two.

2/ Motley Crew comes standard with 0.150 flex and 3/16 inch prop shaft. Does Miss Geico and Mystic?

3/ Also, I read somewhere that if you want to use LiPo's (instead of NiMh) on the Miss Geico you will have to purchase an addtional ESC programmer. Is this correct and does the same apply to the Mystic?

Cheers,

Jon

siberianhusky
07-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Best advice I can give is to go to the RTR section and do some reading in the MC and Mystic/Gieco threads, check out the issues people have had with each and what they have done to correct them. Make your choice based on that.
No offense to anybody but in a thread like this you going to get a lot of opinions, opinions are like a**holes everybody has one! Do yourself a favor and read up on the problems in the specific sections, this is where the real poop about the boats is located.
I own a MC and while it's a good boat I wouldn't claim it's awesome by any stretch, but then no RTR boat is perfect, they all are built to a price point and built just tough enough to last when running stock power systems. Overpower any of them and you will start to see hull damage in crashes.
Gotta remember these are under 400$ boats all up, many of us have more than that wrapped up in just a motor and esc in a 4s boat. Just the servo in my tunnel hull is 1/4 the price of an entire RTR boat.

stadiumyamaha
07-29-2012, 11:07 AM
No rtr will keep your interest for very long. That's why there are so many threads about upgrading them.
I think the mc is faster out of the box but the geico seems to be more fun to drive.
I have found that the proboat stuff is of a higher quality than ac boats as they come from the factory with less quality issues.
If you buy the proboat, do your self a favor and strengthen the hull seem before upgrading it and it will be a very fun boat that last a long time.
IMO the ac boats are very well designed but the design quality gets lost during the manufacturing.