PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Hull (TS3) Water Cooling Inlet...How would you do it?

capnswanny
07-23-2012, 09:52 PM
How would you pickup water?

I'm getting really close to run (next 2-3 days) with my TS3 build. I have a new REK leg (thanks Jr) with no pickup holes drilled aft of the prop. Last leg I had (stripped threads...probably my fault) had the pickup behind the prop on the leg, but I was thinking I might want to shorten the cavitation plate to accomodate a larger diameter prop than 42mm? (OK, I guess thats a question too ;)
What do you think? Pickup behind the prop on the leg and stick w/42mm (I have a GR-42/55)? or....Transom pickup w/tube? or....Fancy thru hull pickup block at the stern (as seen on OSE)?
Running 1800Kv (aka ~1500Kv)/AQ60A ESC now, but might want to move up to 2030Kv AQ motor.

Thanks all!
Corey

marko500
07-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I have a K&B 3.5 that someone cut most of the cavitation plate off of. Kicked around the idea of how to mount a pickup too. Ended up making a new plate out of aluminun and putting the pickup where it was originally, behind the prop. Cut what was left of the old plate down leaving just enough to put 4 bolts through, 2 on each side , to hold on the new plate. Works great. My other idea was some kind of prop wash pickup.

capnswanny
07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Did you ever want to go up in diameter on you prop?
With this leg I can drill a hole in the plate to accomodate a pickup, I was just concerned with the lack of prop size restriction.
I love the prop wash pickups, wonder how it has been done on the outboards?
Thanks for the quick reply!
Corey

marko500
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
By doing what we did it raised the cavitation plate a little over a 1/16 of an inch allowing a larger diameter prop to clear the plate.

marko500
07-23-2012, 10:38 PM
If you're not racing, with your setup the 42 prop should be fine. He's running a Dumas Hot Shot ABS with a Turnigy Typhoon 500 outrunner and his prop is a either a detounged 440 or 442. And his boat flys and everything stays nice and cool.

capnswanny
07-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks,
I'll put it in the stock location in the plate and run 42's. Not like you can't hack it off later!
Appreciate your advice!
Corey