PDA

View Full Version : Which boat for my son?

RCnerd
07-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Hello Everyone,

I purchased an AQ mini mono for my 5 year old son. When the boat works it is a blast for him to drive and he is actually getting pretty good at it. However, the boat is always breaking and water is always finding its way in to the hull (Even with hatch tape). We are learning the ins and outs for FE boating together but I need to get him something that is more reliable.

From your experience what would you recommend for him? I would like to keep it below 26".

Thanks for any information you can give.

MR2NR
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
"FE" and "5 year old son" is quite the undertaking. Water entry is always the biggest problem and I would say it gets worse the smaller and faster the boat. I would look into a Auto Bailer (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc9204) maybe as that's how I fixed my water entry problem but you will need to put it on the lowest part of the transom for maximum effect. Also most of the people on here get there electrical components and then disassemble them and waterproof them themselves. It's just good insurance. You can read up on waterproofing in the forums and youtube but just research the part you are waterproofing thoroughly as you don't want to overheat or restrict something. Also teach him to turn slower at faster speeds to keep water from coming up over the bow. That will be a much needed skill if he stays at it.

You might get a bigger boat for yourself and let him grow into it. If your all about 50Mph+ speeds and have glassy water conditions you will prob want a Cat or Outrigger. If you want a boat that you can use in rougher water but with less 40mph- speeds a deep V will be more your style. I am the latter and am getting this boat next JetStream 888 (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/4_956_1812/products_id/234201/n/Kyosho-EP-Jetstream-888-VE-ReadySet-Brushless-Boat-w-Orion-ESC-KT-200-24GHz-Transmitter)

backbayboy
07-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the world of FE boating. I have heard a few stories and have seen for myself that the MiniMono leaks quite a bit. You may have gotten spoiled by the speed you can reach by the MiniMono. For a boat that size it really moves. I think just about anything you get going forward is going to be slightly slower. You can take a look at Poll Widget on the first page of the Forum for First boat votes. Unfortunately most are larger then the 26". The only one that fits in that Catagory is the Shockwave 26 brushless. I have quite a few Proboats some I bought used and some brand new. They all stay dry and are easy to work on and get spare parts for. Good luck with your search.

RCnerd
07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
"FE" and "5 year old son" is quite the undertaking. Water entry is always the biggest problem and I would say it gets worse the smaller and faster the boat. I would look into a Auto Bailer (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc9204) maybe as that's how I fixed my water entry problem but you will need to put it on the lowest part of the transom for maximum effect. Also most of the people on here get there electrical components and then disassemble them and waterproof them themselves. It's just good insurance. You can read up on waterproofing in the forums and youtube but just research the part you are waterproofing thoroughly as you don't want to overheat or restrict something. Also teach him to turn slower at faster speeds to keep water from coming up over the bow. That will be a much needed skill if he stays at it.

You might get a bigger boat for yourself and let him grow into it. If your all about 50Mph+ speeds and have glassy water conditions you will prob want a Cat or Outrigger. If you want a boat that you can use in rougher water but with less 40mph- speeds a deep V will be more your style. I am the latter and am getting this boat next JetStream 888 (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/4_956_1812/products_id/234201/n/Kyosho-EP-Jetstream-888-VE-ReadySet-Brushless-Boat-w-Orion-ESC-KT-200-24GHz-Transmitter)

Thanks for the information. I have a AQ Motley Crew which is a blast to drive and tinker with.

RCnerd
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the world of FE boating. I have heard a few stories and have seen for myself that the MiniMono leaks quite a bit. You may have gotten spoiled by the speed you can reach by the MiniMono. For a boat that size it really moves. I think just about anything you get going forward is going to be slightly slower. You can take a look at Poll Widget on the first page of the Forum for First boat votes. Unfortunately most are larger then the 26". The only one that fits in that Catagory is the Shockwave 26 brushless. I have quite a few Proboats some I bought used and some brand new. They all stay dry and are easy to work on and get spare parts for. Good luck with your search.

That is the boat I was looking at "Shockwave 26 brushless"

Thanks!

stadiumyamaha
07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
The best I have for my five year old when be want to run with me is my spartan. I know a lot of people don't like them but they are pretty bullet proof on 4s. One of the cool thing about it is it's radio. You can press and hold the set button until the light starts flashing from green to red and then use the multi function knob to dial the power from 0-100% on the fly.
He loves it.

RCnerd
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
The best I have for my five year old when be want to run with me is my spartan. I know a lot of people don't like them but they are pretty bullet proof on 4s. One of the cool thing about it is it's radio. You can press and hold the set button until the light starts flashing from green to red and then use the multi function knob to dial the power from 0-100% on the fly.
He loves it.

Hmmmm, I did not think about the spartan. Him and I have Traxxas Slashes and they are a blast. Thanks for the info!

stadiumyamaha
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I probably wouldn't have thought about it if a hadn't already had one. it really makes a great kids boat and with a 45mm carbon prop and some setup you can get it in to the forties on 4s when dad wants to run.
The setup I was talking about on the spartan radio also works for the slash too.

Stinger9D9
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
If you like the Motley Crew, but want something just a bit less intense, how about the Aquacraft Wildcat EP? (The big one, not the mini). It's a smaller (but not much smaller) cat that is similar to the MC, but with an ABS hull, a brushless motor 2.4ghz Tactic radio and lipo friendly ESC.

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub1810-wildcat/index.html

RCnerd
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
If you like the Motley Crew, but want something just a bit less intense, how about the Aquacraft Wildcat EP? (The big one, not the mini). It's a smaller (but not much smaller) cat that is similar to the MC, but with an ABS hull, a brushless motor 2.4ghz Tactic radio and lipo friendly ESC.

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub1810-wildcat/index.html

That is actually the one that him and I were looking at first but the reviews I have seen on it have not been very positive.

tryinotocrash
07-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Check out the sv27 it is only an inch bigger but tons of fun. Pretty bulletproof too. 2s 2p and you are good to go , the right prop and you are @ or near 40 mph. If monos are your thing.