PDA

View Full Version : New impulse 31 owner

rjs62
07-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Hi there ! I think I'm getting addicted to this hobby !

It all started out by buying 2 Shuang mah 2009 little rc boats ! actually cool little rc boat ! well that lead to me wanting to go faster and bigger, so off to the hobby shop and $600 lighter in the wallet (boat, lipo's and a decent charger) I'm a new boat owner :laugh:

just also bought an impulse 26 off the bay for my son.

found this forum did some reading and set it up, little adjustment to trim tabs and went over everything and made sure they were tight. She ran like a champ !

no vids yet of her.... but here's a vid of the Shuang Mah with my son driving:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kVhr2J02os&feature=youtu.be

POWERS
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats, welcome to your new addiction. It's all down here from here haha!

nickB722
07-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forums!

rjs62
07-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks !

so far we've been having a blast ! tonite the first run out, not even 20 feet out I hit a semi submerged log that I didn't even see cause of the glare off the water, and flipped it ! used my sons boat to push it back. So we both made sure the were abouts of it. but my son hit it and flipped later. I went to push his boat back but my batteries were dying, so I got to go for a bit of a swim 2day to retrieve my sons impulse 26 !

good times ! driving home in soaking wet shorts lol

ejimbo4
07-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Welcome!!!Look into another form of retrieval besides swimming for it! Anyone on here will tell you that is the worst thing you can do! It only takes any kind of problem one time.....a little further out than you thought,you tire out a little quicker than you thought,swim out wasn't bad but now you have to swim back(with boat!)There are many different ways for retrieval to fit any kind of budget. Fishing pole w/ tennis ball, another boat for retrieval,blow up raft,Kayak(this was my choice so I can fish too!)Look it up here on the forum there are plenty of threads and posts on this subject! Other than that....enjoy your addiction and once again welcome to the forum! Plenty of great guys and good info here to fuel it!:beerchug:

rjs62
07-29-2012, 12:56 AM
yah... i bought an inflatable and paddles !

really sucks to swim !

gonna try the tennis ball with hooks to !

went out 2 x today, first lake had too may weeds getting caught up on the prop and rudder. second time was an nice pond we usually go to. hers a vid with my kid and his boat

http://youtu.be/PPofI7ifGek

bigcam406
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
great vid.nice to see both Impulse's in action.just wondering what batteries are you using for both.thanks.

rjs62
07-30-2012, 07:56 PM
great vid.nice to see both Impulse's in action.just wondering what batteries are you using for both.thanks.

in the impulse 31 a pair of peak racing 7.4 45c 4200mah and in the 26 kust a no-name 7.2 3800 nimh pack

BOS SVT
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
congrads! I just got mine as well and love it.

rjs62
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
well I just received my new turnigy batts and I guess I should of converted all my vehicles to bullets instead of trying to solder deans to those 10 gauger wires !:doh:

BOS SVT
08-12-2012, 10:41 PM
While I am having a blast with the impulse 31, I have had a few bumps. First time out I lost my prop (octura 447 ground, balanced and polished), and had to swim. 2nd time out was in NH's biggest lake and was very choppy. Got the boat to submarine twice and actually dissapeared under the water momentarily, followed by a flip and a
Full flood.

Still I love this boat and cant wAit to go out again!

nickB722
08-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Mine's been upside down 5 times or so, a few stuffs (one that took the top hatch off but left the tupperware lid), some barrel rolls, and one blowover with no major issues, but I'd hate to see that happen to mine, so not taking any chances.

Did yours flood with NiMH packs in it or LiPos (doubt that would make the difference but maybe...)

JimClark
08-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Numb batteries usually almost a pound heavier

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk 2

veejo
08-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I sank my 5-1/2 year olds super vee, he was using the impulse so I took his boat, wasn't game enough to swim out when it flipped
...... possibly drown infront of my son .... not cool for $350.
He still keeps on saying I should ghave fixed the bow and that is wher the water gotr in and it sank .... it flipped and 15 mins later sank like the tiatanic ...... 2.4 ghz doesn'r work under water I tried as it was going down ...... nest time take the fishing rod, boats are great for kids when they don't flip. He wnats the new impulse 31 "dad, cool colours"

rjs62
09-03-2012, 11:21 PM
haven't had our boats out as to city bylaws we can't run on that pond ! old rules running back probably awhile cause as they say there to loud ! We have went down to the river a couple of times but it just been too rough. gotta match the tides !

oh well,,, in the mean time we got cars and a parkzone plane which I personally really like !!!

I find it really relaxing to go slow and just keeping control !

veejo
09-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Might be time to revisit the authority that controls the use of the pond. The issue of noise was probabaly due to nitro powered boats from the pre lipo era. A friendly letter and insight might allow electric powered boats and the benefits it might bring back to the community.

We have the same issue in regards to RC cars where I live, they have electric RC car clubs, but no nitro due to noise levels.

The pond / lake I use might also have some issues in relation to noise and other users of the lake if I used nitro instead of electric.

Kraemer
09-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Greetings from New Zealand,

Got my new Impluse 31 last week. Took her out for a test run and was totally disappointed!
After a 3 minute test run the hull had so much water in it that it almost killed it.
Investigating the boat in my bathtub later I noticed that it is leaking through the drain plug as well as through all of the screws that attach the trim tabs to the boat.
Bad Chinese manufacturing that is :tape:
Hope that I can send it back and get a new one as it is such a great boat.
Only big problem with that is that I am in New Zealand and that I had to pay duties and tax for her here as well !!

Therefore totally disappointed!!!

rjs62
09-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Greetings from New Zealand,

Got my new Impluse 31 last week. Took her out for a test run and was totally disappointed!
After a 3 minute test run the hull had so much water in it that it almost killed it.
Investigating the boat in my bathtub later I noticed that it is leaking through the drain plug as well as through all of the screws that attach the trim tabs to the boat.
Bad Chinese manufacturing that is :tape:
Hope that I can send it back and get a new one as it is such a great boat.
Only big problem with that is that I am in New Zealand and that I had to pay duties and tax for her here as well !!

Therefore totally disappointed!!!

was that the new version or old 1 ?

Kraemer
09-08-2012, 09:43 PM
was that the new version or old 1 ?

The old version!!!

Hope they get the new 1 sorted out better!!!

Greetings from New Zealand

rjs62
09-08-2012, 11:49 PM
wow... mine hasn't leaked a drop !

my sons impulse 26 now always has a tea spoon or so in thou !

Kraemer
09-09-2012, 12:06 AM
wow... mine hasn't leaked a drop !

my sons impulse 26 now always has a tea spoon or so in thou !

You are so lucky!
I was so looking forward to this boat and now its leaking and that out of the box.
Ordered from A Main Hobbies which was super fast shipping to New Zealand :-)
Then had to wait for NZ Customs to release the boat after paying an additional $NZ 130.
Finally had it in my hands, but weather was to bad to run it :-(
First nice day and I am all ready to let go....do my test run bring it back to shore and the hull is full of water almost touching the receiver.
Went home filled up the bath tub with water to check where it is leaking from......and you know the rest of the story.

Now patiently waiting to hear back from A Main Hobbies.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst :-(

Kraemer
09-13-2012, 03:43 AM
All is good,

A Main Hobbies has agreed to exchange the boat at their cost....yeah!!!
Can't wait for it to be up and running again!

Jersey Crewmax
09-13-2012, 06:57 AM
All is good,

A Main Hobbies has agreed to exchange the boat at their cost....yeah!!!
Can't wait for it to be up and running again!

Now do you have to deal with Customs charges again?

Kraemer
09-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Now do you have to deal with Customs charges again?

Good thing is that I can claim the previous paid Charges back as it was a faulty boat and has been returned.
Not sure if they hold the new one again in which case they will charge me!!!
Not every parcel gets held by customs...its just that New Zealand is very protective of what gets into the country.
Plus there is a certain formula to it which means if the charges are more then NZ$60 they will charge if less they will wave the charges.

Kraemer
09-22-2012, 03:56 AM
Got my replacement boat today and she is not leaking at all :thumbup:
Kudos to A Main Hobbies for their great customer support!

Kraemer
09-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Took the boat out to the lake today and ran her for around 8 minutes before flipping it over.
Happy to report that all is good and not a single drop of water got in :wink:

What a beauty!!!!