PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish 240HV esc receiver lead

Marinetechal
07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi guys,

I have always wanted to know why the receiver signal lead needs to have the red power when the 240HV needs an external BEC. I would have thought it would only need 2 wires to carry the signal commands. Why I am asking is that I have had 3 x Swordfish esc (2 x 200 and 1 x 240)
all of them I have had issues with. On the 200amp esc I ran with the internal bec but on the 240 I naturally am running an external BEC.
My latest problem being with the 240, nearly destroyed my Pursuit because after giving it full throttle it then dropped to and stuck on 50% throttle with no steering, happened twice with completely different 2.4ghz radio systems (Flysky/HK 3CH and Spektrum TX6i).
I am running with Leopard 4082 1600kv, X645, 6s 5000mah 30c Turnigy, Swordfish 240HV esc, 2s 1000mah receiver battery through a Hifei ubec voltage limiter, Spektrum TX6i/AR6210 ( also tried Flysky/HK 3ch ) and a Hitec
Swordfish parameter settings:- LVC 6S/ 2.5V, Brake-off, Timing-auto, Cutoff-hard, Start- standard, PWM-8kHz

Hope someone may have some answer as I'm not impressed with Swordfish products at the momment....

oscarel
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
If you had no steering it sounds like the receiver lost power. Did you set the failsafe on the Flysky? Just fyi, LVC of 2.5V per cell isn't good, lipos will be damaged if they go below 3.0V.

Marinetechal
07-18-2012, 10:44 PM
If you had no steering it sounds like the receiver lost power. Did you set the failsafe on the Flysky? Just fyi, LVC of 2.5V per cell isn't good, lipos will be damaged if they go below 3.0V.

LVC is not a concern as I have Quanum Telemetry with 1st low voltage set at 3.4v and second alarm at 3.2v. I set LVC low because I thought it might be affecting the output of esc if it detects voltage spikes. I didn't think I had failsafe on my Flysky, don't forget I did mention I had identical problem with 2 complete different radio systems.

Mel279
07-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Flysky and HK radio system are the same, only different brand, its should have a fail safe, you can test it by switch off the tx and see if it still running, if not, its ok but if it runs, probably you need to bind it properly as you would have problem controlling your boat, this happen to my friend and also check the antenna wire as this tend to break off and also contributed to this issue.

ray schrauwen
07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
When you set failsafe in these Flysky radios, THEN, it is bound to one model only. If you don't set the failsafe for every single model, then any rx will work on any model.

Hard to read chinglish at times but, thats what I get fron that part of the menu.

Marinetechal
07-24-2012, 05:02 AM
When you set failsafe in these Flysky radios, THEN, it is bound to one model only. If you don't set the failsafe for every single model, then any rx will work on any model.

Hard to read chinglish at times but, thats what I get fron that part of the menu.

Thanks for that Ray, will reset and try once I have repaired the Pursuit

Marinetechal
07-24-2012, 05:15 AM
Flysky and HK radio system are the same, only different brand, its should have a fail safe, you can test it by switch off the tx and see if it still running, if not, its ok but if it runs, probably you need to bind it properly as you would have problem controlling your boat, this happen to my friend and also check the antenna wire as this tend to break off and also contributed to this issue.

I had identical problem with two entirely different radio systems tx and rx, I rebound my Flysky ( throttle stuck, no steering) removed rx and fitted a 6ch HK speckrum rx and bound it to my DX6i (throttle stuck, no steering, then my boat ran into rocks at 60kph) PLEASE can someone explain why I am having this issue, is it the Swordfish 240.

oscarel
07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
How long were you running when this happened? What type of receiver batteries are you using? Unless you have another esc to test with not sure anyone can tell you the swordfish is at fault. No steering to me means loss of receiver power or loss of signal.

Marinetechal
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
How long were you running when this happened? What type of receiver batteries are you using? Unless you have another esc to test with not sure anyone can tell you the swordfish is at fault. No steering to me means loss of receiver power or loss of signal.

Check out my link and it will show you what happened...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tae1TsNqm5k

Brand new 2s 1000mah Turnigy through a Hifei UBEC voltage limiter and yes I do have a T180 Seaking esc that is super reliable to go back to. My boat never plays up with the T180 but everytime I fit a swordfish I have dramas. I thought upgrading to a 240HV I would have no issues. My gut tells me to ditch the swordfish esc and stay with the T180. No-one has answered my original question.... why is the red wire in the RX lead of a 240HV esc ( IS IT TO POWER UP THE ESC WHEN CONNECTED TO THE USB LINKER?) it certainly not needed for any other reason.

ray schrauwen
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM
What was the "BEEP" on the radio just before it went ashore?

Marinetechal
07-24-2012, 08:42 AM
What was the "BEEP" on the radio just before it went ashore?

My Quatum telemetry hitting 3.4 volts on one of the cells, it sometimes does that when the pack isn't warm enough ( does it with the T180 with no issues )

oscarel
07-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Brand new 2s 1000mah Turnigy through a Hifei UBEC voltage limiter and yes I do have a T180 Seaking esc that is super reliable to go back to. My boat never plays up with the T180 but everytime I fit a swordfish I have dramas. I thought upgrading to a 240HV I would have no issues. My gut tells me to ditch the swordfish esc and stay with the T180. No-one has answered my original question.... why is the red wire in the RX lead of a 240HV esc ( IS IT TO POWER UP THE ESC WHEN CONNECTED TO THE USB LINKER?) it certainly not needed for any other reason.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?35937-s-f-240

Marinetechal
07-24-2012, 09:44 AM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?35937-s-f-240

ok, thanks. I will repair boat, remove Hifei voltage limiter and run with a straight 6 volt receiver battery pack, rebind and reset failsafe on Flysky rx, recheck settings on esc via laptop, run with 2 x 3s 5000 mah 40c packs in series to 6s and hope for the best...might be a few weeks but I will let you know. Thanks again for your advise all.

oscarel
07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Did you verify the failsafe settings after you set them?? Turn off the transmitter and see what happens with everything else still powered up. You can do that now without the boat.

Marinetechal
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Did you verify the failsafe settings after you set them?? Turn off the transmitter and see what happens with everything else still powered up. You can do that now without the boat.

I will check that tonight and let you know...

oscarel
08-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Did you get the esc to work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Boat guy
08-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I just got a new sea king 120 says it has switching BEC. I am planning on running 4s and 6s for short runs. How do I connect the esc. My stock esc has a on off switch wired in. New esc has no switch. Do I plug into channel 2 and that's it or de I need a extra batt pack for the receiver now. Not exactly what the discussion is about but thought is was close. I'm pretty new to all this.
Basically how do I hook up new s king 120 for 6s to the receiver. Do I need the extra battery pack. If not how do I turn it of, just in plug it now?.
Any help from the wise ones would be great. Have card to program but need figure out how to hook up to receiver. my boat is a stock miss geico that I'm up grading the esc. It says it has a switching BEC. Don't want to fry my radio. Thx

ray schrauwen
08-10-2012, 10:47 PM

For some reason I could not answer this before but, i can now.

The red wire is for the esc to get power from the RX via a RX pack. The power fed by this red wire is for the logic driver cicuit. HENCE, the OPTO-Couple feature. This feature prevents interference between the logic board and the power fets. Wheter it is for the USB linker I have no idea. I've never programmedvia USB. I think I just plug & play...:noidea:

To the gent's above post of the 120 esc. All you need to do is plug the esc wire into the Rx and as soon as the main packs plug in, you are turned on, so have your TX turned on first.

Some say Bec is fine but, above 4S I tend to use separate U-bec wired to an external switch. This is your call but, if you choose not to use the Bec your red wire needs to be removed from the socket or cut (again your preference). Then you would need a seperate Rx pack and a switch wired into it.

Don't mean to complicate things for you so, if you want to you can use the built in BEC up to 6S as the manufacturer suggests or claims will work. Please read all the manual information in case i missed something.

Alexgar
08-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Two things I noticed about the hk/flysky rx is the failsafe is set to wide open as default ( cost me an Elam) and once they get wet they become extremely unreliable. If that helps, btw the red wire is required to update settings on the esc

ray schrauwen
08-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks on the failsafe heads up!! I'll go reset that right away! :bowdown:

No wonder my boat came into shore once full tilt!!