PDA

View Full Version : Repair REK Leg Threads?!?

capnswanny
07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I picked up a used TS2 and setup from a friend, after I mounted the leg on my brand spanking new TS3 hull I noticed the prop assy was loose. It appears that all but 1-1/2 to 2 threads are missing from inside the lower leg.

I've had an ad posted on the WTB for a few days, but it doesn't seem to be helping me pick up a new leg.

I've read quite a bit on the downfalls of the REK leg, but I've got 3 new shafts for this setup, the holes are already drilled for the mount, and the steering is already sorted out for this.

I don't plan on running anything hotter than a stock 1800Kv, I'm not a racer, and I'm fairly meticulous with my
If I have to buy a whole new setup I'll probably end up filling holes and buying the more recommended mounts when funding allows.

...but until then:
Has anybody ever successfully repaired the threads on this? Helicoil? Epoxy? etc... :pray:

Here are some pictures:

Thanks,
Corey

marko500
07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
How about just the REK replacement housing. I ordered some parts from them a couple weeks ago and was very happy with their service.
http://www.dpihobbyusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_49&products_id=76

capnswanny
07-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks, that's much easier to swallow than buying the entire setup.
I had searched for just the leg and came up fruitless, I appreicate the link!

Corey

marko500
07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
I was going to post in your WTB thread thread but got sidetracked.
Mark

capnswanny
07-17-2012, 10:36 PM
That never happens to me! (I'm supposed to be folding laundry right now)
:)

Corey

marko500
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
That's pretty funny. My wife had some laundry hanging outside and it started to rain. Was about to post on your other thread....but put the computer down to get the laundry down and folded! lol
Mark

capnswanny
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
That is funny!
Thanks again Mark!

siberianhusky
07-18-2012, 05:44 AM
How about a bit of JB weld smeared into the threads, cover the stub shaft with a thin layer of grease and thread it in.
JB is some pretty tough stuff, can be drilled and tapped when hard. I've used the above trick to fix threads in other things before, worked great.
ALways remember it's a reverse thread in there, might be what happened to it in the first place, somebody tried to remove the stub by turning it the "normal" direction.

AlanN
07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
......or drill straight through the housing....and put a nut on the outside.

Jeff
07-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Nueman! What are you on, bath salts?

capnswanny
07-19-2012, 07:35 AM
I might try the jB weld idea...might work better than using epoxy with graphite additive.
Not quite following the drill through the housing idea.
Thanks

AlanN
07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
that's Nayman....geez Jeff heroine is much more the rave these days....I thought you already knew!!!

Pretty simple really.....just run a drill where the threads are stripped.

One could also drill out the threads (not going all the way through) and insert a threaded insert and replace your sheet metal screw with machined threaded ones. Mcmaster.com would have all the necessary components.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=ihmovd