PDA

View Full Version : Brushless first run also need help

wheelnut
05-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi guys. I have upgraded using the AMMO 28-35-5100 with the Mamba esc and .047 wire drive. It was running fine and fast, the only problem is the wire drive is not holding up to the power and broke where it was soldered into the prop shaft. I need help to upgrade the drive. But I don't want to pull out the stock stuffing tube. So could you reccommend what to fit in there. The stock stuffing tube is approx 1/8"
Thanks for any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8fHa8zeNc

Diegoboy
05-17-2008, 10:36 PM
.098 man, Still think it's excessive?

wheelnut
05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks, Since I am no pro, can you ellaborate on that a little.
First thing I need to know is what all hardware I need to get it all hooked up. I am pretty sure the motor shaft is 1/8" and so is the stuffing tube.

Diegoboy
05-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm sure there is a wire that would do it right, but I have no experience with wire drives. The .098 would require a new stuffing tube, and I'm still debating if I want to go through the removal of the stock one.

wheelnut
05-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Why would a .098 need a new stuffing tube? 1/8 converts to .125 wich is larger than .098. So .098 cable will fit in a 1/8 stuffing tube right?

Diegoboy
05-18-2008, 03:51 AM
not with the teflon liner

SJFE
05-18-2008, 10:30 AM
So why not a .62 wire? Guy's what's the issue with pulling the factory tube? Heat it up crack the epoxy and pull right?

wheelnut
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
This hull is very thin and I don't want to risk ruining it by trying to pull out the stock stuffing tube, and its not worth all the work it will take to repair it if it does get ruined.

I am interested in the .062 wire. Would you care to elaborate on that a little? What would it attach to at the prop end? I am not familiar with setting up wire or flex shaft drives.
Thanks

SJFE
05-18-2008, 11:54 AM
It all depends it the bigger wire fits in your tube. If so Id just order a .62 wire drive with an 1/8th propshaft. Assuming the rio props are 1/8th.

wheelnut
05-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I am looking at the wire drive systems from offshore and the .062 wire fill fit, but the 3/16 prop shaft will not fit in the tube. Any ideas on that?
Thanks

Bigmax
05-18-2008, 03:27 PM
not with the teflon liner

I'm new at this as well... but couldn't you just use the .098 wire with this .098 flex cable to 1/8th shaft (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc4ps) without the teflon liner?

The only reason I can see to need the teflon liner is the abraision of the flex cable against the stuffing tube which would be all but eliminated with a smooth wire drive. Am I missing something here?

wheelnut
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Bigmax, that is the info I was looking for, I thing:)
I will give that a try, as soon as they get it back in stock.

Bigmax
05-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Wheelnut, I'm not sure if the .098 flex and the .098 wire are the same OD??? I think if you look at the teflon tubing it says .098 flex or .062 wire. Not sure why? I would be interested to know what the ID of that prop shaft is.

Diegoboy
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm new at this as well... but couldn't you just use the .098 wire with this .098 flex cable to 1/8th shaft (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc4ps) without the teflon liner?

The only reason I can see to need the teflon liner is the abraision of the flex cable against the stuffing tube which would be all but eliminated with a smooth wire drive. Am I missing something here?

Yes.
The word "smooth" isn't describing the wire nor the flex cable. It's in reference to the type of coupler that will be required. You are correct in that it( teflon) eliminates the abrasion at the "bend" in the stuffing tube. Over a period of time, the abrasion will force those that didn't remove the tube, to remove the tube anyway. Again, IDK a darn thing about wire drives, so...

mtgoat
05-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Wheelnut, I would not be too afraid of replacing the stuffing tube. I have done this and so have several of the guys at the local pond to our Mini-Vs. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be. The new tube is held in place with epoxy thickened with micro balloons.

wheelnut
05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Thickened with micro balloons? Sorry but, I have no idea what you are talking about. Also I don't want to take out the small tray that is holding the steering servo.
It would be really cool if someone could do a step by step tutorial with pictures when they do something like this, so everyone will understand it more clearly.

One more thing to mention, is that I was almost completely out of RC boats until I saw this little guy. I was hoping for something that would not need alot of work.
So if I can get by with the .062 wire and 1/8 prop shaft, that is the way I would like to go. Easy is good:banana:

I will try and talk to Steve later and see what he has that may work.

Diegoboy
05-19-2008, 10:34 AM
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/topr1090.jpg

Microbaloons:
Ultra-light extender makes epoxy or polyester resins lighter and more sandable. Great for joints and fillets, or surfacing over imperfections in wood grain or in fiberglass cloth. Compatible with aliphatic resins and acetone based glues

Use of more than 3:1 ratio makes lighter and easy-to-sand filler
Use of too much microballoons may degrade the surface adhesion of the epoxy or polyester resin.

wheelnut
05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Very interesting. I wonder if I can pick that up at Home depot?
Did you pull the battery/servo tray out to replace the stuffing tube?

mtgoat
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I haven't seen microballoons at home depot, but it's pretty standard stuff at most hobby shops.

I did not remove the battery/servo tray, but I did cut a hole in it with the dremel in order to remove the old glue and to pour in the epoxy. I did get a small crack in the hull when I removed the old stuffing tube, but the epoxy sealed it and now you can't tell there ever was a crack.

wamf
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
The stuffing tube on the mini rio is 3mm and a 1/8" stub shaft will be too tight without reaming. I've removed the stuffing tube from (1) mini rio and (1) mini V and the rio tube is glued in much better. I have 1/8th stub shafts with 062 wire and 1/16" couplers but I haven't needed to use them I'm using 047 wire with 540 motors and the stock coupler and haven't broke it yet. You might try drilling out the stock stub shaft to take a bigger wire or just try the 047 wire again.
MikeV

ken2re
04-28-2009, 02:52 AM
will this fit in mini rio
Product ID: jw-wire18062
Piano .062 Wire Drive System for 1/8 Props

Jeff Wohlt
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
The .062 is plenty for a smaller rigs or up to 4S and many have exceeeded that with no problems. They also make 055 which is very nice. Not sure what your bend is in those.

The 1/8" stuffing tube is great for the 062 wire.

If you have any questions just let me know.