PDA

View Full Version : Motor Placement

kilr95ss
07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Noticed that there does not seem to be a general rule as far as mounting the motor. Seem there just as many mounted close to the transom as there is closer to the bow. Is it just personal preference or is there a benefit one over the other?

Make-a-Wake
07-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I like the motor to be about 30% from the Transom. Thats also close to where you want your COG. However, my boats have the packs aside the motor allowing them to be positioned forward or backward in roughly a 15-25" "zone" for alot of adjustment. Some folks run the packs in front of the motor between the stringers and then need the motor farther back. My guess is that most folks mount their motor in the 25-35% from transom zone as a general rule.

kilr95ss
07-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks, planning on mounting the batteries on the sides of the hull so I can adjust the CG so I will set the motor at 30% of CG.

siberianhusky
07-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I like to do a full mock up, holding everything in and on the hull with 2 sided tape.
Makes sure the cg is good and that everything is as easy to access in the hull as possible.
Sucks to realize you can't get to some screws because something is in the way, like your rudder servo mount is in the way of getting a nut driver on the rudder bolts!
Yep, did that!