PDA

View Full Version : Need help on receiver location

tlandauer
07-16-2012, 01:48 AM
I am setting up the Jae 21 rigger recently bought here. I want to know which is better: between extending the trio wire on the servo or on the ESC.:help:

tlandauer
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
I would really appreciate some advice here , there must be pros and cons between extending the servo wires and the ESC wires. There is no room to put receiver where neither needs to be extended. It's one or rhe other.
Thanks, guys.

T.S.Davis
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I always spot my reciever on top of my servo near the back. Can't tell ya why though. Just how I do it.

tlandauer
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks, was thinking the same, only because I am using a Seaking 120 a ESC that has a magnate ring tied near the wire plug, wonder id I need to redo it near the extention's plug?

jcald2000
07-17-2012, 06:23 AM
I also mount mine on top of the servo and extend the ESC wire.

T.S.Davis
07-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Jim......why? You're asking for trouble messing with that length. Didn't this get discussed to death years ago?

I don't know about that ring at all.

tlandauer
07-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Jim......why? You're asking for trouble messing with that length. Didn't this get discussed to death years ago?

I don't know about that ring at all.

That is exactly why I asked this question! I have a feeling that it is bad to EXTEND the ESC -to-receiver wire, btw, all SEAKING ESC has a ring and now that I think of it, it may not be magnetic at all , it is there to get rid of some sort of interfearance---I think.
@ T.S.Davis, first of all, thank you for your replies! So how did you solve the problem ? Maybe you didn't have an issue with the length of the wire .
@ jcald2000, also thanks, hope you didn't have any problem with the lengthened wire. There is really no room the the middle of the tub to compromise the location so that neither components need to have their wires extended.

T.S.Davis
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
OMG I totally miss-read what Jim typed. Sorry Jim.

I thought he had extended the antenna wire. That's a bad idea. Jim's doing the same thing I am. Extending the wire to the esc isn't an issue as far as I know.

All of my fastest boats have extensions on the esc wire from the reciever. I also use a clip at the connector to hold the male/female plug connection. You could use elctrical tape. Just so it doesn't come appart.

Now that I think about it. Anyone ever just replaced the ESC wire with a longer lead? Just solder it right from the board? I may do that on one of my boats. That floppy connector makes me nervous plus it's one more potential failure point. If it comes unplugged during a race I'll be pissed.

properchopper
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I've never experienced a problem with using servo extensions on speedys. I've also moved the magnetic ring (using some variation of reverse macrame) to get things fitting better. The connector clips are a good idea; I keep forgetting to get some - my memory isn't.....Uh , what was I talking about ?

morewattsnow
07-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I've extended both the speed control and the servo wiring, depending on what made sense in that particular build. Also, some shrink wrap around the connection will ensure that it doesn't come apart. Easy to slit with an x-acto knife when necessary.

tlandauer
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks to everyone of you, all this info is very helpful and reassuring, I have taken out the ring and placed it closer to the receiver on the extension wire.
I appreciate your knowledge and am always looking forward to learning more!