PDA

View Full Version : Why can't this forum allow us to fix our own thread title's?

Make-a-Wake
07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
If you hit a couple wrong keys..........like I just did again, meant to write proboat and somehow got probalt, then your title is goofed up til either a kind moderator or Steven himself can fix it for you, OR it just stays that way and you look like a moron, he has fixed several for me, but has more important things to do i would imagine..............why cant this small feature be added??????

I have seen so many goofy titles to threads, some that barely even make sense, and now my just listed ESC is a "Probalt" for goodness sakes. All other forums I visit, the title can be edited/fixed by the thread author.

Thanks for your consideration Steven and Mods!!! :Peace_Sign:

Make-a-Wake
07-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Heck..............I even screwed up this title!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't, and not, is a double negative in the same sentence......should read: Why can't this forum allow us to fix our own thread title's

Geeez, perfect example of why I'm posting this thread!

NorCalZ71
07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken when u edit first post u hit "go advanced" and at the bottom u can edit titles.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Make-a-Wake
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
It only changes the very first post at the top like I just did, not the title in the forum catalog.

xlandguy
07-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I have wanted to change or correct a title or two myself, cant do it though.

NativePaul
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
What's wrong with showing people for being the nincompoops they are? I don't believe that you are a moron incapable of getting it right, so just take a little more care when typing your title which is after all the bit that everyone sees, whether they are interested in what the thread contains or not. Maybe try typing the title before the post then checking it for spelling, readability, grammar and stupidity after you have typed the body of the post but before you click submit. Or if you are young, have a grown up check it for you at the end.

One of the forums I frequent does not allow editing of any part of a post, and has an auto-correct system setup which looks for textspeak (txtspk), profanity or common spellings errors and replaces the gibberish the poster typed with a self defacing statement about themselves and/or their mental faculties. It is a good system which keeps the forum easily readable for all ages and knowledge levels with a well above average quality of writing, interspersed with the odd bit of comedy from the lazy members who generally improve very quickly, although there have been one or 2 people (both here and there) that from their style of writing, repetitions, self conversations, and mistakes, I believe could be genuinely lacking the mental aptitude to improve, and maybe some of the self defacing comments whilst being true in these instances could be hurtfull in this family setting, (the other forum I mention is a car owners club forum, and as such has no child or severely mentally handicapped members).

Make-a-Wake
07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, on my computer which has a 14 x 18 monitor, the little box the title is in when creating the first post is very small, almost unreadable for some reason, so now i just slow down and look at the keyboard to see what i am typing. I have seen some really funny ones on here, I may go back when I'm bored and post some of the better one's.

CHIEFY_44
07-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Hey native Paul with what I just seen you post I hope you never make a typo because I'm sure you will never live it down, those words were rather harsh from you, remember everyone may not be the best typist in the world like you.

NativePaul
07-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Clicking on the webpage then holding [Ctrl] and hitting [+] will zoom in on the page and let you see what you are typing clearly.

Should I ever make a typo I'm sure I will never live it down now too, feel free to waste your time trawling through my previous posts looking for them, I think the only "mistakes" you will find are my using English, rather than American English, so I spell colour with a "U" etc. I am far from the worlds best typist, and know this well so I don't go flat out unless I'm just typing notes to myself, I slow down and take care in what I type when other people will be reading it.

I don't think I was being harsh, the OP said that it made him look moronic, I disagreed saying that I did not think him a moron, I did not explain my reasoning for this however which is that in my view the content of the posts have a far greater reflection of the poster's intellect than the spelling which has virtually none, and the contend of his posts is not moronic. It does however make him look silly in my view, for not taking the care to get it right, especially when he knows he can't rectify it afterwards. It looks like the OP is in agreement, as he said he has now slowed down and is taking the time to look at the keyboard as he can't see the screen well.

Dangerous_Toys
01-24-2013, 02:50 AM
what's wrong with showing people for being the nincompoops they are? I don't believe that you are a moron incapable of getting it right, so just take a little more care when typing your title which is after all the bit that everyone sees, whether they are interested in what the thread contains or not. Maybe try typing the title before the post then checking it for spelling, readability, grammar and stupidity after you have typed the body of the post but before you click submit. Or if you are young, have a grown up check it for you at the end.

One of the forums i frequent does not allow editing of any part of a post, and has an auto-correct system setup which looks for textspeak (txtspk), profanity or common spellings errors and replaces the gibberish the poster typed with a self defacing statement about themselves and/or their mental faculties. It is a good system which keeps the forum easily readable for all ages and knowledge levels with a well above average quality of writing, interspersed with the odd bit of comedy from the lazy members who generally improve very quickly, although there have been one or 2 people (both here and there) that from their style of writing, repetitions, self conversations, and mistakes, i believe could be genuinely lacking the mental aptitude to improve, and maybe some of the self defacing comments whilst being true in these instances could be hurtfull in this family setting, (the other forum i mention is a car owners club forum, and as such has no child or severely mentally handicapped members).Lol! :laugh::laugh: