PDA

View Full Version : Battery and Charger recommendation

Tom899
07-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Hello,
I have a new Pro Boat Mystic RTR ordered. I need to buy some batteries and a charger. I would like the charger to be at least a dual and A/C. I see most of the chargers do not come with the battery end. What end do I need for the Mystic? Please recommend a good charger with balance and discharge. Also please recommend some good batteries?
This is my first post, I've been reading a lot but need some help in the charger and battery department.
Thanks,
Tom

fleckster48
07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Hello,
I have been running a Venom Charger for about 4 years on my Traxxa's trucks and on my boats. The charger can run on both AC and DC. It comes with a AC power supply. It also comes with a bunch of different connectors. My came with a set of Deans and they are the ones the Mystic uses. For batteries, I use HobbyKing's FliteMax Zippy Li-Po's. The price is good and they have been very reliable. Check to make sure they have your connectors. I use E3 connectors and solder my own....just my choice as the Deans are fine.
fleckster

ENCORE MAN
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hello,
I have a new Pro Boat Mystic RTR ordered. I need to buy some batteries and a charger. I would like the charger to be at least a dual and A/C. I see most of the chargers do not come with the battery end. What end do I need for the Mystic? Please recommend a good charger with balance and discharge. Also please recommend some good batteries?
This is my first post, I've been reading a lot but need some help in the charger and battery department.
Thanks,
Tom
Thunder AC6 charger from HOBBY PARTZ.COM great value, AC/DC $ 42.00
Batteries HAIYIN STORE.COM also great value and quick shipping. GOOD LUCK BG

Fluid
07-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Welcome Tom! You may get a wide variety of answers to your question - people tend to recommend what they personally have, NOT what may be best suited to the poster's needs.

So we need more information - what do you really want:

Budget?
Use of boat - fun running, racing...?
Amount of run time desired?
Will you upgrade your boat with different motor?
Will you be upgrading to a larger/faster boat in the future? (No need to buy a cheap setup now, only to have to buy another more expensive one later)

Tom899
07-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Welcome Tom! You may get a wide variety of answers to your question - people tend to recommend what they personally have, NOT what may be best suited to the poster's needs.

So we need more information - what do you really want:

Budget?
Use of boat - fun running, racing...?
Amount of run time desired?
Will you upgrade your boat with different motor?
Will you be upgrading to a larger/faster boat in the future? (No need to buy a cheap setup now, only to have to buy another more expensive one later)

Thanks Fluid and everyone helping me out with suggestions, I appreciate it.
My budget is flexible to a point, quality and durability are high on my requirement list. A ballpark limit for a charger would be less than $175. I'm guessing batteries would be $75. on up.
I'm not sure about the run time, naturally longer is better.
We are starting a club with about 15 racers so far. We will be racing on a large somewhat smooth pond with pylons set up. The club is just forming so I don't know the details yet. I watched a fellow that had the Mystic and was impressed how well it turned at a very high speed, maybe because it's a cat hull?
I ran into another snag today. My local shop called me and said the Mystic's are all out including the supplier. The Plug-n-play Mystic is available at some stores but the price is higher than the complete RTR kit at my local hobby store. I think you need to supply the controller and receiver for the PNP. So, either I wait for maybe the new Black Jack or Miss Geico next month or keep searching for a RTR Mystic. Maybe some of you can recommend another boat that would turn and handle well around pylons, and run at least as fast as the Mystic? I should probably ask this question in another forum.
Thanks,
Tom

detox
07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Here is a new mystic for sale.http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?35739-**-New-In-Box**-Pro-Boat-Mystic-BL

Tom899
07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Here is a new mystic for sale.http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?35739-**-New-In-Box**-Pro-Boat-Mystic-BL
Thanks Detox. This one also needs a controler and receiver which is the PNP model, which would bring the price quite a bit over new in the store. My local shops regular price for the RTR model is 305.
Thanks,
Tom

detox
07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I like the ac/dc Hyperion 720. The Hyperion or Grimracer packs are verygood. I like the single 4200 or 5000mah 4s packs.

siberianhusky
07-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Another option for a budget setup with more power is to not get an AC/DC charger, get a standard DC only charger and use a computer power supply for the 12v.
I got 3 15 amp ATX power supplies free for asking (used 1), most computer stores toss them in the recycle bin.
By doing this you will have a lot more power available for charging at the maximum rate your batteries can handle. Unless you spend a bit of money most cheaper AC/DC chargers are about 50 watts, this will barely charge a 2s battery at a 1c charge rate.
My 6s 200 watt charger will put a full 2c (10 amp) charge into a 4s 5000mah pack with the computer PS, I tried it just to see if I could, for the longest battery life charge at 1c.

Tom899
07-11-2012, 09:59 PM
That is interesting, never knew you could use a computer power supply.

Derrick Davis
07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Another Kind Sir on the Forum (Mr Properchopper) suggested the Ultimate 800 Duo (X2) charger from hobbypartz. I just got it last week and am pretty impressed so far. Dual charging ports @ 400w per side, up to 20 amps, battery memory settings, ....and a number of other features that are quite handy. Take a peek through the link below
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-ultimate800-charger.html#scProductReviews
I purchased a 12v power supply from JRPLANE (on this forum). All seem to be working quite nicely. I sure like the lighted dual displays on the Ultimate charger. No more switching back and fouth to see how the other battery charge process is doing. Now thats what I'm talking about!
Good luck with your decision. As mentioned earlier, better to spend a little more on quality so you can get more out of the charger the farther into the hobby you get sucked...I mean, into.:tiphat:

Tom899
07-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Another Kind Sir on the Forum (Mr Properchopper) suggested the Ultimate 800 Duo (X2) charger from hobbypartz. I just got it last week and am pretty impressed so far. Dual charging ports @ 400w per side, up to 20 amps, battery memory settings, ....and a number of other features that are quite handy. Take a peek through the link below
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-ultimate800-charger.html#scProductReviews
I purchased a 12v power supply from JRPLANE (on this forum). All seem to be working quite nicely. I sure like the lighted dual displays on the Ultimate charger. No more switching back and fouth to see how the other battery charge process is doing. Now thats what I'm talking about!
Good luck with your decision. As mentioned earlier, better to spend a little more on quality so you can get more out of the charger the farther into the hobby you get sucked...I mean, into.:tiphat:
Thanks, I like that charger. It seems to look the same as the Hitec X2-400 and Turnigy MEGA 400Wx2 equivalents. The Hitec is more money, the Turnigy is less money and no printed manual or phone support? So the Hobbypartz Sky RC Ultimate800 is right in the middle for price. do you have a link for JRPLANE's power supply, I would like to take a look?

Tom899
07-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Another option for a budget setup with more power is to not get an AC/DC charger, get a standard DC only charger and use a computer power supply for the 12v.
I got 3 15 amp ATX power supplies free for asking (used 1), most computer stores toss them in the recycle bin.
By doing this you will have a lot more power available for charging at the maximum rate your batteries can handle. Unless you spend a bit of money most cheaper AC/DC chargers are about 50 watts, this will barely charge a 2s battery at a 1c charge rate.
My 6s 200 watt charger will put a full 2c (10 amp) charge into a 4s 5000mah pack with the computer PS, I tried it just to see if I could, for the longest battery life charge at 1c.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction of DC only, I now understand the reasons.

Derrick Davis
07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi Tom,
If you do a search for JRPLANE (within this forum) you will discover a thread he started entitled -Power supplies 12v or 24v plug and play . I should mention that I have only had his power supply for about 2.5 weeks and I have only completed one charge cycle on a set of lipos. It worked very nice (and the new charger worked great btw!). I looked at several replies on this forum from people who purchased these supplies and every one has had very positive reviews. That made me feel comfortable making the purchase. And, he ships extremely fast!
The new Ultimate charger is now my primary charger but I will be using my old charger from time to time and will be powering BOTH at the same time with this power supply. Thats when I'll really now how solid it is. But so far, for $55 shipped it appears to me that it will work quite nicely. I hope this info is helpful. :wink:

Tom899
07-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi Derrick,

I just ordered a PS from Jeff.
I'm looking at the Ultimate Charger.
Thanks so much!
Tom

Hi Tom,
If you do a search for JRPLANE (within this forum) you will discover a thread he started entitled -Power supplies 12v or 24v plug and play . I should mention that I have only had his power supply for about 2.5 weeks and I have only completed one charge cycle on a set of lipos. It worked very nice (and the new charger worked great btw!). I looked at several replies on this forum from people who purchased these supplies and every one has had very positive reviews. That made me feel comfortable making the purchase. And, he ships extremely fast!
The new Ultimate charger is now my primary charger but I will be using my old charger from time to time and will be powering BOTH at the same time with this power supply. Thats when I'll really now how solid it is. But so far, for $55 shipped it appears to me that it will work quite nicely. I hope this info is helpful. :wink:

HydroMike
07-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Ya I got the 24 volt PS works great it hasn't broke a sweet yet
Hi Tom,