PDA

View Full Version : Race Setup Help Needed

d.a.v.e
07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Based on the group I plan to race with I can use any speedcontrol and can choose one of these 3 motors SV 27, Blackjack (they will allow the 1800 that comes in the boat), or UL-1.

Running stock electronics and a 447 plastic/carbon prop I was having a tough time keeping up even in the strait aways during practice. Any suggestions on setup/motor/prop options? I was the only one out there with one of these boats so there was not a lot of guidance available other then buy a boat like theirs and they can help :(

TheShaughnessy
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Your prop choice could probably be experimented with. I know a lot of guys like to run 3 blades on Monos. I don't personally have impulse so this is just theory of course.

d.a.v.e
07-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I tried a 440x3 but it felt slower. Any suggestions?

Fluid
07-06-2012, 02:05 PM
What boats do the others have? There is a lot to do besides motor/ESC to increase your boat's performance. You can free up the boat by lowering the strut, this lifts the boat out of the water for reduced drag and more speed, but with a higher chance of flipping. Moving the CG a bit can speed things up too, again at a risk - but this is racing!

The plastic prop stinks, get a metal one and pick up a few mph - the m545, m645 and Grim 45x55 seem popular. The x440 doesn't have near enough pitch to go fast. I really lilke the PB1800 motor, plenty of power and high quality. The UL-1 motor might work for you, but frankly you are more likely to burn it up since it only takes one heat with a too-large prop to toast one. An ESC upgrade (100 amp minimum) is good for reduced resistance and smoother throttle action.

Remember that all the power in a FE boat is in the packs. Sometimes the guy with the best packs will be the fastest, although with limited motor racing that is less so. Your setup can pull over 80 amps if propped accordingly, make sure your cells can supply it.

Darin Jordan
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I ran mine at the Nats using the 1500KV motor, the new Dynamite/Pro Boat 80A ESC, on 4S1P (two 5300mAh 65C Thunder Power hard-case 2S packs), and spinning an X447/3, or an X450/3... I would NOT recommend this setup for everyone, as it can be brutal on the motor wires (weak link in the system, in my opinion) if the boat isn't setup JUST right, and for anything but strictly racing distances, but I was more than fast enough (and faster, in many cases) and I ended up finishing 3rd in the class. Prop efficiency helped a lot...

nickB722
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Not to derail the thread but are you planning on running with MMEU Dave? I've been contemplating joining up since I got my Impluse and plan on heading out to practice within the next few weeks even though I don't have the right motor yet. Worst case we could run an Impulse Spec class with only 2 or 3 boats just to keep it even/fun.

d.a.v.e
07-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes.. I have been practicing with a couple of the guys at a local meet up we do at a pond near my house.

When do you think you will be going out there?

Their practices are hard for me to get to as its over an hour away (in good traffic) and I'm sure it will take me 2hrs to get there for the Wed practice sessions going the wrong way in traffic of course :).

d.a.v.e
07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I ran mine at the Nats using the 1500KV motor, the new Dynamite/Pro Boat 80A ESC, on 4S1P (two 5300mAh 65C Thunder Power hard-case 2S packs), and spinning an X447/3, or an X450/3... I would NOT recommend this setup for everyone, as it can be brutal on the motor wires (weak link in the system, in my opinion) if the boat isn't setup JUST right, and for anything but strictly racing distances, but I was more than fast enough (and faster, in many cases) and I ended up finishing 3rd in the class. Prop efficiency helped a lot...

Thanks, I'll try copying that setup for next time. I happen to have an extra 1500 that I was thinking of trying out, just need to get some new props ordered I guess.

nickB722
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes.. I have been practicing with a couple of the guys at a local meet up we do at a pond near my house.

When do you think you will be going out there?

Their practices are hard for me to get to as its over an hour away (in good traffic) and I'm sure it will take me 2hrs to get there for the Wed practice sessions going the wrong way in traffic of course :).

Honestly not sure, I hope within the next 2 weeks or so at least for a practice, but I'm not sure how well that will fit in with all the other stuff that needs to be done around the house.

d.a.v.e
07-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Whats the advantage in racing of a 3 blade vs 2 blade prop? Does the 3rd blade help it pick up speed quicker coming out of the turns? I hear its mainly a torque difference but was not sure how it applied here? I ordered both props from here today and look forward to testing them next week!

Darin do you run the stock flex cable or do you replace it with something different?

nickB722
07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Dave,

Did you try an M445 on the Impulse? I've got one on mine and it seems to get out of the hole pretty quick and have a decent speed advantage over stock.

d.a.v.e
07-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Dave,

Did you try an M445 on the Impulse? I've got one on mine and it seems to get out of the hole pretty quick and have a decent speed advantage over stock.

Unfortunately I lost that prop in the lake the day before our usual meet up, today I tried the x445 and the SV27's were walking away from me in the strait sections but if I was careful I could make some of that up in the turns. The m445 did seem pretty quick & I did order another one today. Hopefully soon I'll get a new GPS for my eagle tree and can start to quantify some of this a bit better.

Just a bit frustrating that these SV27's are faster then me and have what seems like 30% more run time. Which might make sense as they are smaller and lighter? Upside is my boat seems to handle better. Hopefully next week, I'll get the recommended props swap out the motor with the 1500, maybe swap the ESC with a T180 and I'll be able to keep up a bit better? Unfortunately they are bone stock SV27r's (other then the prop) and this will be around $200 in extra parts to keep up.

I wonder if I should be looking at smaller props that could turn over faster?