PDA

View Full Version : How do i insert teflon tube?

Tyrion
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey all, my mystic started to take in water through flex shaft, i took out the old teflon which was looking pretty old and now i can't get the new one inside the brass tube. Is there a trick to getting these in?

The tube that came with the upgrade shaft is 1mm thicker then original, i was thinking of trying to sand some of it off but that seems a bit dodgy..

Am i doing something wrong or is it the wrong tube?

I bought 2 upgrade shafts for the mystic 1 from OSE and other from Kintec they are both exactly the same width.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SirBudman32
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
had same problem with my SV 27, just gave it a LITTLE stretch and slid right in. Just go easy.

Tyrion
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Stretching it... okay i will give that a try. Thanks!

tryinotocrash
07-05-2012, 09:08 PM
When you say it is 1mm thicker are you saying the outside diamter is bigger or the inside is smaller? Just trying to understand you. if the outside is 1mm bigger stretching may not get you there.

G-UNIT
07-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Do away with it or just put one end in a vise and stretch it then slid it into the
stuffing tube and walk away for awhile, the liner will srink back into shape and be tight
in the tube.
this info is what I read on this site

Tyrion
07-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Its seems to be thicker on the outside.

I can slide the old one back in no problems, but both the new ones i have will only go in about 1 cm before it gets stuck.
I just tried pulling on it to stretch it... not working as i can't get a decent grip without pinching tube...
I will try putting in vice.. but that will squash the tube.. and i already nearly stuffed both up trying to get inside.

ATM i put old one back.. and using some fuel tube at motor end of brass and just going over shaft.. has created a nice seal for now.. but a little friction.

Tyrion
07-05-2012, 11:23 PM
If i do away with it, won't there will be a bit of a gap in brass tube? would this create a vibration? i'm only new to boats and don't wont to have to change the brass tube if i don't have to, as i'm not sure what i'm doing.

tryinotocrash
07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Small amount of friction from fuel tube won't be an issue, Grease everything with waterproof grease and keep it greased. Should spin freely with fingers before you attatch to motor. If it isn't redicously tight on the fuel line it will run in with a little running.

Tyrion
07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Okay thanks. Its only a little friction so it should be fine.
Now i seem to have done something to the motor whilst pulling it all out.. it doesnt wont to turn over by hand....i put it all back together and now when i try and turn motor over its almost like its going to break something inside when i try to turn by the prop.

Tyrion
07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Just in case, it feels like huge resistance when trying to turn over and then nearly a clicking feel. Sorry if not clear, only did a couple of times as dont wont to kill it.
But its diffinately different to before, oh its a leopard 4074 2000kv only used for about 5 minutes.

Tyrion
07-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Okay so i sorted the motor issue.. im such a noob.. when i put it back on it was too close to the mount and the collet was hitting the mount.. very relieved it was just me being a noob and not broken motor.

As for the teflon, i would still be happy to hear any other suggestions as stretching doesn't seem to work so well for me and i had to put old one back in.

Hopefully i won't get any water inside now after putting some fuel line over end of the brass tube. Looks and feels the goods so far, need to get it in the water to know.

martin
07-06-2012, 04:48 AM
The repacment liners are probably Octura which are thicker walled tube hence larger diam, a lot of rtr boats come with a cheap thin walled liner which makes it difficult to get the Octura liner in. Stretching works well on reducing the o/d but just depends how much to big the liner is.