PDA

View Full Version : v-hull or cat

arp1500
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
im trying to figure out what boat i want the new impulse or new black jack

whats the pros and cons of either hulls

nickB722
07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Cats are generally faster but you usually have to slow down to turn. The Impulse will have less top end than the Blackjack, but it's easier to turn and will handle the chop a bit better.

arp1500
07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
ok so if its slower i might catch the cat in the turn

we have a pond with a water fountain on one end and what we were doing the other day with my 52 inch vhull gas boat was stand at the opposite end race to the fountain go around it and come back

so if i get a cat and mono the cat will be faster to the fountain but you would need to slow down to turn as the mono will get the slower but you will be able to hit the turn faster

nickB722
07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
You could catch the cat in the turns. Really it comes down to the driver, the setup, and the lake. In a wide turn, a cat could easily keep it's speed up compared to a mono, but in tight turns the cat really has to back off to avoid a rollover. I don't think the speed differential for these boats will be very large, but noticeable if racing side by side. The advice I always got when debating two similar vessels in the past is get the one you think looks better, because you'll be happy with either one. In your case, already owning a V-hull, you could think about wanting another v-hull (knowing the merits of the hullform and setup concepts), or get a cat to try something different.

arp1500
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
me and my dad are going to get one but he really wants the cat and he doesnt mind if i get a cat also but i was considering the vhull just to be different

nickB722
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
If you're both getting new proboats I can't see you going wrong with getting one of each, but that's just my opinion. You do know that the Blackjack 29 and Impulse V2 won't be on the shelves until September right? (Mystic 29 and Impulse V1 are the current equivalent models)

If you're only getting one, I stand by the "get what you want" statement, keeping in mind you've got mono experience. I'm sure Darin will be more than happy to help get either one dialed in if you're having setup issues.

RydForLyf
07-03-2012, 03:03 PM
im trying to figure out what boat i want the new impulse or new black jack..

Sounds like you want both, so find a way to get both.

me and my dad are going to get one but he really wants the cat and he doesnt mind if i get a cat also but i was considering the vhull just to be different

This makes it super easy, one of both. :thumbup:

I'm in the same boat, wanting one of each. Your situation is great if your dad wants one too.

-RFL

arp1500
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
yes i saw august on pb site
its ok its in the 70s in dec here we can get them for xmas
the mystic 29 is sold out everywhere and i havent seen the first impulse any where for sale

the biggest thing is for us to do some more research i would hate to spend 500 or so after batteries and the things stink
i can spend a 1000 and get a 50 inch gas powered boat that i know is fun

arp1500
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
my biggest concern is how long they will run in stock form with 2 2s packs and what do i expect the top speed to be

nickB722
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Runtime and top speed will depend heavily on prop selection, setup, and driving style. On 4600 mah NiMH packs I've been getting almost 10 minutes of runtime more often than not. Don't expect them to be able to cruise around out there for hours on end like you could with a gas boat because that just isn't how FE boats are (yet). There's plenty of people running stock setups with 2s packs in the Impulse and Mystic/Geico forum sections with a better idea of top end/performance/runtime on those packs.

Stephavee
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
The IM sould be easyer to setup and will handle boat chop really well...Both are great boats good luck choosing only one!

arp1500
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
thanks alot guys

steve s.
07-03-2012, 04:28 PM
im trying to figure out what boat i want the new impulse or new black jack

whats the pros and cons of either hulls buy the catamaran it ts much better looking and will out handle the d vee in rough water and the corners steve s.

arp1500
07-20-2012, 10:27 AM
its a hard decision
deep v or cat
i like them boat if i can sell my whh enforcer id buy both

Stephavee
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
buy the catamaran it ts much better looking and will out handle the d vee in rough water and the corners steve s. This is not true... the Vee will handle rough water way better than the cat! And the Vee will handle corners a only little better. the cat will corner flat and that makes it seem faster but IMO the VEE will handle better...But its very hard to give up the speed of the catamaran!!! I have both and will always have one of each!...Also Vee hulls put out more wake that the cats so this is somthing to think about when running with other boats.

nickB722
07-20-2012, 11:12 PM
This is not true... the Vee will handle rough water way better than the cat! And the Vee will handle corners a only little better. the cat will corner flat and that makes it seem faster but IMO the VEE will handle better...But its very hard to give up the speed of the catamaran!!! I have both and will always have one of each!...Also Vee hulls put out more wake that the cats so this is somthing to think about when running with other boats.

Seconded. In full scale it's debatable that cats can handle rougher water, and they do seem to handle the chop better. That said, they still lack the turning ability of monos, but that's not always a problem on the ocean courses they race on.