PDA

View Full Version : Research on charging procedures continue

DPeterson
07-02-2012, 11:18 PM
OK - It has been written and promoted many times to "Follow the Manufactures Recomendations".

My bad - this is the first time I read the label on the back of my Hyperion Lipo pack. I am going to need some help with this. I will be most interested in what the organized associations are doing to meet these requirements as it appears this is what the Insurance is based on.

Here is what it says on my Hyperion 4S pack;

Charge only on fireproof surfaces. - I get the liability part. I don't get hiding the cell inside a lipo pack or setting it on a surface where it could blow and effect all the bystanders. What is being used out there? I shot a couple dozen charged cells so I know the impact. Some of them are scary in distance and time.

Do not exceed 4.2V/cell charge voltage. - I assume all chargers are checked that they have this function?

Do not exceed 5C charge rate. - Is this safe? Mr. Ling says not to exceed 1C. What is the position of the organized associations on this?

Do not exceed rated discharge currents. - I assume this is another liability protection statement for the lipo manufacturer. Not sure how anyone would check this. Honor system - with boat racers. :) Although ROAR mandates that anyone exceeding these limits must pull the lipo from the site. What is the position of the safety coordinator in the organized asociations for this?

Do not over-discharge (3.0V min. autocut suggested). - I assume same as above.

Always monitor charge from start to finish. - Here I assume monitoring means a visual monitor while watching for puffing, out of spec temperature increases and cross connection of charge wires. I would hope we are not relying on electronic charging devices to do the monitoring. How is this being accomplished when we all are down at the driver stand pitting for our buddies? And how is this done when the lipo is shoved into a lipo sack?

Never short-circuit, nor expose to fire or water. - Dah! Some were promoting water as a solution for a lipo fire. Did we get past this and is it written in the rules?

Never use a damaged Lithium Polymer pack. - This seems to be a big issue with some larger RC associations. I think it is safe to say that damaged cells is the crux of the majority of our issues. How is the organized racing association handling this?

Keep away from children and pets. - Dah! Maybe should keep these away from some of us guy's too! :) I would assume this is written into the organized associations rules for insurance purposes?

Use high-quality Lipo chargers only. - Battery says to use Hyperion only. Shameless plug! Seriously though. What are the organized associations doing about chargers? What is written? What is being inspected and monitored? How much charging is taking place without balancers?

Lets make July "Safe Lipo Handling Month".

Disclaimer - I am not representing any organized racing association.

Doug

Jeff
07-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Are we talking about a product that the manufactures wrap in plastic bubble rap and put in a cardboard box and then another cardboard box and ship every where in the world?

Steven Vaccaro
07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
monitoring. Lets face it, thats close to impossible to follow In a race situation.

T.S.Davis
07-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Use high-quality Lipo chargers only. - Battery says to use Hyperion only.

Doug, I'm going to have to re-read the rules from both but I'm pretty sure IMPBA say "follow manufacturers recommendations". Paraphrasing................NOT cirtisizing I swear. Hyperians "manufacturer recommendations" require you to use a Hyperian charger. If you don't..............on paper.................area you un-insured?

We need to figure out what's right for FE. I'm not trying to point out the folly of either set of rules. We know why they are written as they are. Well, I do at least.

The over amping thing......how can anybody check that? Are we supposed to have an eagle tree running for each boat in each heat all day every time or we're uninsured? Who's watching those numbers? The contest director? "Doug Peterson was DQ'd in turn 3 for amperage!"

Like I said, I need to get into the rule books.........again.

I did notice Doug, you took a beating in another thread for non compliance but honestly that's kind of hypocritical. What about all the other "manufacturers recommendations" that are routinely ignored? Okay, now I'm being critical. Sorry guys.

Another thing. What's a "fire proof surface"? Asking as a NICET certified fire protection engineering technician not as just a hobbiest.

LuckyDuc
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
monitoring. Lets face it, thats close to impossible to follow In a race situation.
Yep. I charge all of my packs at home the night before the race. This way I don't have to worry about tending to chargers on the day of the race. Between corner marshaling, pitting for others, helping in the retrieve boat, and racing in my classes, I don't have the ability to watch my charging equipment. The down side is that I had to buy 3 packs per class to do this.

Steven Vaccaro
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I personally think a "fire proof" surface would be a metal or stone counter. Metal surface and metal boxes are out for me because I then have to worry about batteries shorting and posing more of a problem than static packs. So its a tile surface for me.

T.S.Davis
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I was right. You have to charge hyperian cells on a hyperian charger in IMPBA. That's the law. As written.

I think I'm going to start importing cells. My only requirement will be that you have to charge your packs in a vat of lard. I wont be in business long but that will be just plain ole' fun watch'n right there. The law suit will be a scream too. "Why did you charge in a vat of lard? That doesn't seem smart, Well, the rule book said I had to follow the manufacturers recommendations to the letter."

I'm joking of course but I think most will see my point.

Which manufacturers recommendations are we allowed to ignore? By the book?...........none. Including the charge out of the model thing. Guilty! I have a boat to work on before the weekend. Why I feel inclined to adhere to that one so closely I'm not sure. Maybe because it seems to be a major point of contention for some of late so I shall comply.

jcald2000
07-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I charge on a 12" square ceramic floor tiles.
I use a FMA PL8 charger that uses fused battery leads and fused balance boards. I can and do watch the cells IR as they charge.
I charge 8 2s pack at once in parallel, so 40 amps input divideded by 8 equals 5 amps per pack or 1C with 2 1 gallon bags of sand nearby.
Since I can no longer find metal dust pans, I going to add a 5 gallon bucket of water so I can get them out of the garage if there is a problem.
No problems in 5 years.

drwayne
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I also charge Lipos on a large tile.. down by my right foot ... where I can see/hear/smell the business at hand.

Au Association's safety rules for FE charging
An appropriately manufactured and labeled LiSafe bag must be used at all times.
An appropriate lithium chemistry profiled charge must be used.
Batteries must be near room temp prior to charge [ remember here it averages 60-90f ]
Batteries must be balance charged.
Maximum charge rate must not exceed manufacturer recommendations.
Maximum lithium polymer cell voltage must not exceed 4.2v per cell.
Charging must not be unattended. One person may monitor many charging packs in close proximity.

or, as the critics say.. thou shalt, and thou shalt not ...
but it is workable, safety orientated, and simple to follow.

Doc W