PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong?

MrClickBoom
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Hello all, this is my first post here. Not a stranger to forum boards, but quite new to the boat world. So I have a Impulse 31, running 7.4v Speedpack 5200 2S batteries and a X445 prop (not pro balanced but as a machinist I'm quite confident it's damn close) anyway, I've been using a app for my phone and putting it in the boat and only getting a top mph of 34.8. When I first got this thing it screamed like a bat out of hell..I bought the prop solely to see if it would help anything. My buddy got a spartan and whooped my ass today, he's running 2-11.1v batts..I love this little boat and I'm not sure if my salt water use has slowly corroded the contacts in the motor or what?? I will be doing a 2200 kv with seaking 180 in the near future but as of now it just seems as its gotten slower over the useage..full charge and discharge 13 times so far..

JimClark
06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
exactly what did you do for maintenance after running it in salt water

MrClickBoom
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Bring her home fill up the tub, I made a "flush tube" I made out of a syringe, remove the water tube from the rudder..turn the throttle trim to just barely on and run the engine lightly for 1-2 mins while flushing engine,there have been 2 times..where it did sit for a day before I got to clean it thoroughly..and have pulled the prop shaft 3 times and greased it..but that's about it..

roadrashracing
07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
should pull the flex after everyday running and just set in the boat till next use.

POWERS
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Bring her home fill up the tub, I made a "flush tube" I made out of a syringe, remove the water tube from the rudder..turn the throttle trim to just barely on and run the engine lightly for 1-2 mins while flushing engine,there have been 2 times..where it did sit for a day before I got to clean it thoroughly..and have pulled the prop shaft 3 times and greased it..but that's about it..

IM curious as to why you run the motor while flushing it?

POWERS
07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
IM curious as to why you run the motor while flushing it?

Nevermind, I realized afterwards what you're doing. So basically you try and flush the cable and stuffing tube by running it for a minute or two in fresh water. Your best bet is gonna be pulling the flex cable after ever use and cleaning it that way, then hanging it in some manner so as to keep the cable straight and not bound up. I'd doubt simply running it for a minute or two in the tube like that is gonna cut it.

MrClickBoom
07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Seems like this one has gotten quite stiff from about 1-1/2" from the solid metal before the prop..I don't remember it being like this.does this constitute for what I feel is an extreme lack of speed? ..i was just watching some videos of it stock and it screams..it has lost its scream.. Seems like O.S.E is about to get some dollars from me here in the near future..

POWERS
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Letting your boat sit over night after running in saltwater is the start of your problem. Just running the motor hoping water will come up the shaft and clean it out after is just lazy. After running (especially in saltwater) it is advisable to remove the flex shaft completely and clean. If running in saltwater id then use salt away or if your cheap use soapy water and clean the boat especially metal parts, and inside stuffing tube. Flush cooling system with salt away or soapy water and then rinse with fresh water and blow lines clear of water. Finally, Spray your corrosion inhibitor of choice on all metal. If you really wanna be anal then whipping out inside of boat with wet towel and leaving canopy off to dry is not a bad idea either.

It sounds like you have binding going on which will cause friction which not only slows you down, but can damage the power train on the boat. It could be caused from not properly re-installing the running gear if you have ever taken off, however your chosen method of cleaning the boat is the more likely suspect, it can cause salt, or worse yet, rust build up from lack of proper cleaning. Pull the flex cable and show us a picture of it, hopefully it isn't turning red.

MrClickBoom
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the Advice POWERS! No its Not red..but I'll upload a pic as soon as I can..

Make-a-Wake
07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Thats a pretty big prop for a stock impulse.