PDA

View Full Version : Transmitter / Reciever Upgrade...Help Needed...2.4GHz - Best Range for the Buck?

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm in the process of upgrading my TX and RX for a new build. I currently have long distance range blackouts with a properly set up 2.4 GHz Spektrum MR200 and Proboat "branded" Spektrum transmitter.

My lake is large and I sometimes I run my boats out very far. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the best range for the buck in a 2.4 TX/RX.

I've spoken with the Spectrum guys several times at Horizon and have been told that all of their surface model transmitters used with the marine receivers (DSM2) will have about the same range I currently have. They actually recommended to switch to a Traxxas system (boo) or air transmitter, which I'm highly reluctant to do. I want to stick with 2 channel pistol grip TX and don't want or need telemetry.

Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

jwray
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I feel that any of the Futaba 2.4 radios would serve you well. I have been running a 2.4 module in a 3PK for several years on some very large ponds with the atennas in the radio box with no issues. Hope this helps, Justin

JimClark
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
What does "properly setup" mean to you?

I'm in the process of upgrading my TX and RX for a new build. I currently have long distance range blackouts with a properly set up 2.4 GHz Spektrum MR200 and Proboat "branded" Spektrum transmitter.

My lake is large and I sometimes I run my boats out very far. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the best range for the buck in a 2.4 TX/RX.

I've spoken with the Spectrum guys several times at Horizon and have been told that all of their surface model transmitters used with the marine receivers (DSM2) will have about the same range I currently have. They actually recommended to switch to a Traxxas system (boo) or air transmitter, which I'm highly reluctant to do. I want to stick with 2 channel pistol grip TX and don't want or need telemetry.

Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Properly set up to me means:

- I have the receiver and ESC (CC 240 Hydra Ice) as far away as possible.

- There are no heat sources or power wires near the receiver or antenna wires.

- The receiver is isolated from vibrations via high quality servo tape.

- The horizontal and vertical receiver antennas are very close to 90 degrees apart.

- The horizontal antenna is not near the aluminum hull reinforcements in my boat.

- The vertical antenna is straight and as far up in the antenna tube as possible.

- All my connectors are maintained and corrosion free.

What am I forgetting? Maybe programming the proper output voltage from the BEC?

JimClark
06-28-2012, 03:14 PM
sure you don't possibly have a break in your antenna wire? Have you tried another reciever? What kind of range are we talking here?

Fluid
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Is the ProBoat 2.4 transmitter actually the equivalent of the Spektrum DX2? Some earlier Spectrum transmitters were not completely compatible with the true marine receivers. You may be able to just buy a new Spektrum-branded transmitter...or not.

Electropilot
06-28-2012, 03:25 PM
This is what I got for 60 bones :)

http://www.rc-fans88.com/goods.php?id=553 , I love it! made my futaba enter the closet zone!:scared::blink: and for $60.00? Psshhhh real hard decision there for the price,,,,, Not!

Darin Jordan
06-28-2012, 03:29 PM
They actually recommended to switch to a Traxxas system (boo) or air transmitter, which I'm highly reluctant to do.

WHAT?? I don't know who you are talking to, but there is NO WAY I'd pick a Traxxas system over a real Spektrum setup.

The MR200 is an excellent RX... I'm not sure about the guts of the Pro Boat Branded TX that is compatible with it, but I do believe it's a true Spektrum system. You do NOT want to use the true surface RXs, however, as they will NOT have the range you are looking for.

Have you RUN this out there yet?? You didn't mention if you've already tried this system or not??

I can run my boats out to where I can't see them any longer, well out over 1,000 yards and they always come back. IF you setup the system correctly and bind it with the failsafe positions set (throttle neutral, steering neutral, etc.), then IF you run out of range, the boat should simply stop. When a Spektrum system loses signal, it falls back to these fail-safe settings.

siberianhusky
06-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I use both marine RX's with a dx2s and can run my boats out so far I can't tell what direction they are going.
I have a PB tx that I've never tried, next time out I should test it at least.
Some of the guys around here are using the 3 channel Hobbypartz radios with good success.

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Well hello Mr. Jordan. Glad to hear you chime in! I agree with you on NOT selecting Traxxas over Specktrum. But literally just 5 minutes ago, I spoke with a SECOND technical rep. (option 4) at Horizon Hobby and he told me the same thing: basically that Traxxas systems had a reputation for longer range...don't shoot the messenger : ). He did however say if it was him, he’d try a true branded Spektrum transmitter and set the voltage of my BEC to 6.0 instead of 5.0 where it’s previously been ran.

When you ask: “Have you RUN this out there yet?” What exactly what you’re asking?

Yes, I’ve ran the setup…(your design btw :thumbup1:) and yes, I’ve range tested it on both water and land. I just seem to just run out of distance before I’d like to. You can go pretty far pretty quick when your kicking up a sizable rooster tail at 63 mph in highly modified, and admittedly overpowered/rev’d Impulse 31 : )

As for the actual distance, I’m a poor judge. I’d have to do another dry range test and measure the distance with an odometer. I can tell you that you can barely see the boat when I hear it stop. I know about where I’m going to run out of range on the lake so I just don’t exceed that perimeter. Occasionally, when running parallel to my range boundary, I get too close and will experience signal loss and the system goes to its neutral positions for a second or two before generally coasting back into range.

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
sure you don't possibly have a break in your antenna wire? Have you tried another reciever? What kind of range are we talking here?

I'm sure, unless it came from the factory that way. I did try a second new MR200 with the same results. Not sure about the exact range but I can barely see the boat.

Rumdog
06-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Yup. FlySky Gt3C. Easily the best bang for your buck. This new model is much easier to read in direct sunlight, plus it's equipped with a lipo battery which can charge via usb. I also own the older Gt3B, which is an excellent radio. Recievers are cheap as dirt for it as well.

JimClark
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
So if you can barely see the boat that says to me it is very difficult to control it since you have a hard time seeing it so why do you want to go out further? Doesn't seem like you have a range issue to me.

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I can barely see the boat; however, it's relatively easy to see the massive wall of white water behind the boat. Seeing the rooster tail is all I’ve needed thus far to keep track of position/orientation/direction and maintain control.

Why do I want to go further??? That's kind of a silly question. Much like asking: ”Why would one want to go faster?

Regardless, I will answer it with true, but what some will perceive as silly answers:

1) Onlookers sometimes scream and wave their arms requesting a "drive by". And yes, I can barely hear them at that distance even with the wind at their backs.

2) I've rid my entire neighborhood of Canadian Geese with this boat and my neighbors are very, very thankful. There is however the occasional stubborn individual that will make me chase him/her to the ends of the earth before they will hop out or fly away.

3) It’s highly annoying to have a run interrupted by a brief shut down when I occasionally overshoot my range.

So, DO I HAVE A RANGE ISSUE? In my opinion, YES. :Peace_Sign:

siberianhusky
06-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Yep by that description I'd say you have issues! Not sure they're with range though!
Great way to give boaters a bad rep with the greenies in your area by actively chasing wildlife!

JIM MARCUM
06-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Yup. FlySky Gt3C. Easily the best bang for your buck. This new model is much easier to read in direct sunlight, plus it's equipped with a lipo battery which can charge via usb. I also own the older Gt3B, which is an excellent radio. Recievers are cheap as dirt for it as well.

:iagree: Best bang for the buck, period. I will likely upgrade from my FlySky GT3B soon - for the better daylight vis and LIPO batt. But lack of range has not been an issue with my old GT3B TX or any of the $7 FlySky recievers. Santee Lakes lake #1 measures 1/4 mile long, and I have yet to have any reception problems.

I got tired of crashing my 3D airplanes flown using Futaba FM so I quit that RC sport 5 years ago. Now with the excellent 2.4 G Hobby King HK 60F transmitter (FlySky relabled) & HK 60F 6 channel reciever in my shop, I may return to flying. For now I'll keep using it with my sailboats. Note: IMO the latest 2.4 G transmitters have made the seperation of air & surface TXs a moot point. That and the fact that the nearest flying field is over 2 miles away from my boat pond.

But, if I'm imsinformed about the surface/air issue, please feel free to enlighten me. JIM:spy:

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep by that description I'd say you have issues! Not sure they're with range though!
Great way to give boaters a bad rep with the greenies in your area by actively chasing wildlife!

Thanks for the laugh! Seriously.

If you were educated on the Canadian Geese issues we've had in my area and the different methods professionally employed for geese abatement, you would know that the pros that are hired locally do use RC boats as it's one of the most effective/humane/efficient techniques.

You could go so far as to infer from my message that I've heard nothing but praise and encouragement from neighbors, and our HOA. Relative to the crap they cause (literally) amongst other many other things; no one really cares about the yapping of the scarce "greenies". If there had been concerns, believe me, I would have already heard them as I’ve been doing this for years.

dana
06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I also use flysky. Super affordable. I'll have to check out the c version

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Seems like the overwhelming consensus is Flysky. Thanks guys!! I will give this a good look!

dana
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Yes. Make sure if you get one you set the fail safe as instructed! HobbypartZ has them at a great price. I love mine

siberianhusky
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Life in the trailer park I guess.

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Maybe ALSO, attempt to fire up a few more brain cells prior to typing? HOA = Home Owners ASSociation? Big house on a a big lake....what an off topic moron.

xlandguy
06-28-2012, 07:37 PM
2) I've rid my entire neighborhood of Canadian Geese with this boat and my neighbors are very, very thankful. There is however the occasional stubborn individual that will make me chase him/her to the ends of the earth before they will hop out or fly away.

Anyone who does this, is , in my opinion, A Douchebag extraordinaire.

JIM MARCUM
06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
You guys Quack me up. JIM:spy:

xlandguy
06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
You guys Quack me up. JIM:spy:

OMG, there's GOT to be some sort of penalty for that "Wise-quack". :rofl:

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 08:05 PM
HA! Jim.

As for xland and husky: Did you both have cute lil baby Canadian geese as pets or something? I'm sure your opinion is highly respected :blink: but if you knew wtf you were talking about, you'd know there are many companies of "douchebags" which are employed in our area for this exact type of abatement.

Thanks again to everyone who provided on topic help...I got what I needed.

xlandguy
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
HA! Jim.

As for xland and husky:
Thanks again .

Hey no prob, that's what we're here for :hug1:

oscarel
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
:iagree: Best bang for the buck, period. I will likely upgrade from my FlySky GT3B soon - for the better daylight vis and LIPO batt. But lack of range has not been an issue with my old GT3B TX or any of the $7 FlySky recievers. Santee Lakes lake #1 measures 1/4 mile long, and I have yet to have any reception problems.

I got tired of crashing my 3D airplanes flown using Futaba FM so I quit that RC sport 5 years ago. Now with the excellent 2.4 G Hobby King HK 60F transmitter (FlySky relabled) & HK 60F 6 channel reciever in my shop, I may return to flying. For now I'll keep using it with my sailboats. Note: IMO the latest 2.4 G transmitters have made the seperation of air & surface TXs a moot point. That and the fact that the nearest flying field is over 2 miles away from my boat pond.

But, if I'm imsinformed about the surface/air issue, please feel free to enlighten me. JIM:spy:

I agree as well. I've used both the GT2 and GT3B for the last couple of years and had no issues with either. Here's a thread where someone has actually tested the distance at 2 miles. http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=50047&p=591128&viewfull=1#post591128

c_michael_72
06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Holy CRAP!!! That 2 miles sounds relatively legit + $39 for BOTH TX/RX + positve reviews in the high 90% range, damn!

I just got the FS-GT3B even tho it almost sounds way too good to be true based on the prices of systems I've been looking at.

U guys, minus a few off topic tree huggers, RULE.

Electropilot
06-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Holy CRAP!!! That 2 miles sounds relatively legit + $39 for BOTH TX/RX + positve reviews in the high 90% range, damn!

I just got the FS-GT3B even tho it almost sounds way too good to be true based on the prices of systems I've been looking at.

U guys, minus a few off topic tree huggers, RULE.

Shoulda went the extra $20.00 and got the GT3C though. Easier to read screen and all around better built and feel to it. But at least you got a upgrade:sneaky2: Like I posted earlier this mornin up inthe thread, Best deal for 60 bones!!! :wink:

Race on bro!

Flying Scotsman
06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
I have viewed all responses but I think the original poster has to grow up!!!

Douggie

c_michael_72
06-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Electropilot:

Yeah, you're right. I admittedly got trigger happy after getting on hobbypartz.com (does not carry the C version) and reading the 2 million positive reviews. I'll check to see how liberal their cancelation/return policy is, or just keep it as a backup.

Yesterday I wasn't able to get your previously posted link to hook up but found it working this morning...Thanks!

c_michael_72
06-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Dear "Douggie":

Words can't begin to describe how little I'm concerned with your OFF TOPIC advice. Waste your time somewhere else if you must. Hopefully you can find something productive to do and have a wonderful day!!!

Derrick Davis
06-29-2012, 09:30 AM
C_michael_72
I could not resist messaging on this topic to :tiphat: to you! I'm normally a church mouse and avoid conflict. My Wife says I'm a lover not a fighter. :o
I read all of your posts last evening ALSO and did not see one thing that I thought was inappropriate or wrong. I certainly understand the importance of all of us doing our job to maintain a good image. However, As far as the tree hugger & greenie concerns go...let them pound sand and listen to :nopity:. There is a time and place for when these Canadian geese MUST be dealt with. If you have everyone on your side at your lake (including the Parks Office folks), and they are all having the same issue with these hissing, messy bombers, than there should be no issue with the measures your taking to get them to move along. Period
My last comment- Perhaps some of the tree huggers should take a peek at videos online to see how the major airports deal with the geese and various other bird issues.
I'm guessing they feel the alternative to not doing something is a bit worse. Just my humble opinion.
Keep keepin it real
Peace

electric
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Did you read that they get that range by emitting enough signal to give you a sunburn? Kidding. I have a friend that has one of these and is completely happy with it. I run Spektrum's others run Futaba's competition and choice is what it is all about.

By the way, I have no love for those geese. Not saying I chase them, but we have a small flock that someone in the neighborhood thought would be "cute" to have as pets. They moved, the geese stayed and they are aggresive, territorial, crap everywhere and multiply quickly if you don't step on the eggs. They will chase and attack just about anything that comes near them including kids. I equate them to having a pack of 15lbs wild dogs in your neighborhood. They are NOT cute little birds for sure.

c_michael_72
06-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Derrick,

I truly appreciate your response and clearly agree with you. I feel it justifies me being a bit hypocritical and responding "off topic".

As a common sense rule, I always try be highly educated about ANY specific topic prior to speaking in a public venue. If for some uncommon reason, I chose to "bash" someone in a public forum, I would most certainly know the facts. I learned last evening that's not always the case in here. No worries though...I got some great information and am happy to utilize the good advice and ignore or be entertained by the off topic, uneducated attempts at bashing.

As for me personally, I'm a nature and animal lover to the max. When I first started researching Canadian Geese abatement years ago, I was sickened by the number of localities that mandate gassing and or killing hundreds of geese annually for a myriad of public safety reasons. It's kind of funny as Canadian Geese are generally very anxious about settling in a new location. That said, 95% of the time all I have to do is walk down to the lake's edge, drop my boat in, rev it up once or twice and bam, no more geese. Those who consider that irresponsible, inhumane or "douchbaggery" are likely not worth my time. Lessen learned.

Thanks again!

Flying Scotsman
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I did have a great day and if you want some advice, I do not waste my time....look in the mirror laddie.

Douggie

Dear "Douggie":

Words can't begin to describe how little I'm concerned with your OFF TOPIC advice. Waste your time somewhere else if you must. Hopefully you can find something productive to do and have a wonderful day!!!

c_michael_72
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I did have a great day and if you want some advice, I do not waste my time....look in the mirror laddie.

Douggie:blah:

dana
06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Micheal, glad you got the info you're looking for -)

c_michael_72
06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks Dana...hopefully we are done with this post! :beerchug:

jwray
06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
As far as range goes on a transmitter be carfull with the 2 mile rage claims. Those are based on using it in an airplane were the signial is going up to the bird. In the surface world we are limited by the curvature of the earth in the old days of FM even PCM that could be as little as an 1/8th of a mile. 2.4 does a little better at folowing the curve but I would not trust it much further then that unless you are elevated above the surface on a drivers stand or bank.

dana
06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, I agree. There are other things to discuss in here such as, running the antenna outside the hull. If you don't, range performance drastically changes. Throttle channel needs to be set to reverse like many other radios do. As said before, failsafe must be properly set up, unless you want to risk losing your boat. Follow the instructions and you'll be happy. Most people that complain about radios haven't followed instructions. They're there for a reason -)

Fluid
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
...Those are based on using it in an airplane were the signial is going up to the bird. If you actually read the thread you'll see that the 2-mile claim was not made with a flying airplane - it's a boating site and the transmitter is a wheel transmitter (ever tried to fly with one?). Too, in post #269 you'll see the boater stopped at one mile with the receiver antenna inside the boat's radio box. But then, one can say anything on the Internet.

Electropilot
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes, I agree. There are other things to discuss in here such as, running the antenna outside the hull. If you don't, range performance drastically changes. Throttle channel needs to be set to reverse like many other radios do. As said before, failsafe must be properly set up, unless you want to risk losing your boat. Follow the instructions and you'll be happy. Most people that complain about radios haven't followed instructions. They're there for a reason -)

Great advice Dana!:wink:

And you are very welcome c_michael_72. Anytime bud!

jwray
06-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Well you got me there, I did not link to the boat dock thread to look at the range claim, most manufactures use the range that they get from their air systems for their surface as well. Distorting what you can actually expect. And thanks for explaining the difference between a stick radio and wheeled radio. BTW have you noticed how many people especially sport boats use a stick radio or even the radio that they use to fly planes with?

Electropilot
06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Well you got me there, I did not link to the boat dock thread to look at the range claim, most manufactures use the range that they get from their air systems for their surface as well. Distorting what you can actually expect. And thanks for explaining the difference between a stick radio and wheeled radio. BTW have you noticed how many people especially sport boats use a stick radio or even the radio that they use to fly planes with?

Oh sure people use two stick rads. The cheapies boats like walmart etc. tons of rtr have them, which still work but they dont do 40-60mph across the pond:wink::wink:

Or simply if you have one on the shelve gathering dust. But the ones who put these dual stick cheapies in a fast boat are asking for disaster :hornets_nest::scared:

hehe. Wow great thread so far. Info is the building blocks of learning. Just the correct info is what is key.:smile::wink:

jwray
06-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I was not aware that a futaba 9c was a cheapy radio, and I have seen that radio get used in boats. It had a three mile range for airplanes but I would not trust that on the surface.

I do not want to stir the pot and agree that good information is the goal. With that being said in my view I dont care what radio you have or how much it cost or how well it was set up I would not count on anything better then a quarter mile but it is a moot point besuse it would take a pretty big boat to see it that far anyway. And we wont even bring up running something over, I know I have done that several times with the boat right in front of me.

Electropilot
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
I was not aware that a futaba 9c was a cheapy radio, and I have seen that radio get used in boats. It had a three mile range for airplanes but I would not trust that on the surface.

I do not want to stir the pot and agree that good information is the goal. With that being said in my view I dont care what radio you have or how much it cost or how well it was set up I would not count on anything better then a quarter mile but it is a moot point besuse it would take a pretty big boat to see it that far anyway. And we wont even bring up running something over, I know I have done that several times with the boat right in front of me.

Eh'hem,,,, read again:olleyes::olleyes:

The cheapies boats like walmart etc. tons of rtr have them

No where did Futaba get mentioned. Futaba is a great radio. :wink: All you did was rephrase my info of it is dangerous to put a cheapie rtr 2 stick HongWongFang brand radio in a fast boat HAHA!

Flying Scotsman
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
:blah:

Well, I am pissed off with you... how many boats do you run? and yes I use a Spektrum Marine System.

Douggie

Electropilot
06-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, I am pissed of with you... how many boats do you run and yes I run a Spektrum Marine System.

Douggie

UhOh!

:popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2: