PDA

View Full Version : CC hydra 240 hv

Steve McGinley
06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Hello everyone, I just picked up a Castle Creations hydra 240 hv and I was wondering if anyone had photos of this esc mounted and connected in an impulse 31. I bought it from a friend who never used it. I am not sure how to make the connections and also I was reading this esc does not have an internal bec. I am looking for a setup that will easily do 60 mph. If anybody could recommend a solid motor, propeller, battery setup and possibly attach some pictures of the hydra installed I would greatly appreciate it. Do I solder the battery and motor connectors together into one large connector??........Do I purchase a seperate bec?? Or run an additional power supply to the receiver?? This forum is the best, you guys are great! Im fairly new to the hobby but I have been instantly hooked! I have alot to learn though, I also dont quite understand how to determine what kind of motor to use, kv?, size,....etc....??

Stephavee
06-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Ok i use the CC 10a BEC on my 6s boat. as for advice on the other stuff to get you "easly" doing 60mph!??? It sounds like you are new to boats! 60mph is not that easy to get! you need to know how to set your boat up pretty well for those speeds. Its not a matter of what motor, but how to keep your boat on the water! I like to see boat crashes so promise me you'll put them on you tube!
Leapord 4074 1800kv should get you there on 6s Im running a 3674 and i run @ 57.5mph....But theres nothing easy about it! your gonna have your hands full!!!

Hope you like swimming

The best advice i can give you is save that esc and postpone your 60mph goals until you learn the basics first!

Steve McGinley
06-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the motor recommendation, and yes I am fairly new to the hobby but I have driven boats that do over 60 mph, I just was looking for advice on how to make the hydra connections. The multiple 10 gauge leads need to be soldered together and the instructions are vague on what to do. I want to know what type of connections guys are using with this esc and are they using a seperate bec or powering up the receiver with a battery pack. I mastered 3d helicopters so I think I can learn how to drive rc boats. The learning curve doesnt seem as difficult! Ill take my chances with swimming, Im sure we all have to start somewhere. Do you own a hydra 240 because I would like to know what connecions to use, thanks.

Stephavee
06-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I wasnt trying to insult you in any way. sorry! from your post it seemed like you were asking some very beginner questions. That esc has two sets of bat. leads so you can run your bats. independently. If your going to run only 6s on this boat you will want to use 5.5 bullet conectors or bigger. the CC BEC has a very good wiring diagram with it but basiclly you disconnect the red wire from your esc and solder in the bec to the bat. leads. Maybe someone elts has a nice diagram they can post for you. That esc is real powerfull and will power a that boat to the moon!

Steve McGinley
06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Thats okay, I guess it kind of sounded that way to me. I really appreciate your help, like I said, I am fairly new to the hobby but after owning the impulse for over a year now Im getting kind of bored with the same old speed. I have been doing alot of reading on this forum and trying to take in as much as I can. I upgraded the prop and the boat is faster now but if course Im pushing this esc to the limits. My friend had a hydra for sale, never used, I bought it for 100.00 which is an awesome deal and now I would like to step it up. Ive seen the impulse do speeds over 60 mph and it did seem pretty stable. My fastech is not that stable and I wouldnt think of doing those speeds with that boat. I just didnt want to install the hydra, make a wrong connection and fry the thing. I have 6mm castle plugs on my batteries and motor right now, so I take the two leads going to each motor connection and install both wires into the female connector going to the motor correct. The motor designations are still kind of a grey area for me. I am not 100% sure what the killivolt, pole, sensored vs sensorless all mean clearly. I havent found clearly explained information on this. I understand the battery technology but the motors, not so much. If it werent for these forums Im not sure how anybody would learn all this information. Once again no offense taken, I really appreciate your response and hopefully somebody has a picture they can post of their hydra installed in an impulse!

Stephavee
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
That esc is a monster man! call CC and ask but im 75% sure you just use one set of motor leads. They just put two for the guys that run high power twin setups. You got a killer deal on that esc but is way overkill for anything i run! good luck...I'll be poping in to see how its going!

Steve McGinley
06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks again, Ill keep you posted!