PDA

View Full Version : New kos c1 on order!!!

MAVIS
06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey every1!

Just thought i'd introduce myself to everyone on this forum. I just bought a KOS C1 and am waiting for it to arrive! I am new to r/c electric boating. I owned a traxxas nitro vee in the past and wow have things changed! The speeds these new lipo powerded boats reach are impressive! I hope to contribute to this forum as i hopefully become more knowledgeable in the sport! Ill report back when the boat arrives!

LarrysDrifter
06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Make sure you do ALOT of reading on this boat in its own forum. There are 2 versions, you have the 2nd version. They are nice boats, but lack on reliability. Just do your research.

MAVIS
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
hey larry, ive actually read a lot of your posts already.

i bought this boat used... paid 400, seller claims the boat has only been ran 3 times, looks mint but i have yet to see it in person. i believe this is the original version as it has liquid cooling for the motors and i believe thenewer kos have fan cooled? correct me if i am wrong. the boat comes with upgraded aluminum venom props that have been sharpened and balanced. upgraded(larger diameter) cooling lines. everything else is stock. i have read about reliabilty issues and am well aware of them. i would like to swap the motors and esc in the future(later this summer) to make the boat faster as well as more reliable but first i want to become more knowledgeable b4 i do so.

question, the boat comes with 2 nano-tech 5.0 4s batteries... 90c.. i beleive this is too much battery for the boat to handle with its current set up? is this correct? or would i be safe running these batteries?

LarrysDrifter
06-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I would stick with 3s for stock setup. Nano tech batteries arent any good IMO. Ive used regular Turnigys with good luck so far.

fleckster48
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello,

I have a KOS C1 and a Miss Excite. I haven't had any problems with either. The KOS has a little over a dozen runs on her. For batteries, I am running two Venom 5000Mah 50 c batteries and 2 5000 Mah 30c Zippy packs. I assembled the rudder etc and used blue loctite at every point indicated. I did manage to loose a drive shaft but that was my fault for not checking them before a second run. I have upgraded to two collets and haven't had any more problems. I bought a program card for the ESC's....you can find them on this site. One thing I would say is that the motors run hot. I have a infrared thermometer and measure everything after a run. The ESC's are 103 degrees f, batteries are about the same and the motors are 115 degrees. I run the boat until I notice a slight loss in speed and then bring her in. That's been about 10 minutes of running. Every time I bring the boat home, I pull the shafts and clean them. If I'm not going to use the boat, I leave them out and then lube everything and put them back in. So,.....so far no issues. I really like the boat and it handles quite well. Mine came with two pairs of 36mm props. I think they are suppose to come with 36mm and 32mm. Use 32's if your going to run 4s batteries. Good luck with yours.

MAVIS
06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
hey fleckster thanks for the reply..

i will def make sure everything is tight and thread lock is def a must. would any type of high temp grease work for lubing the parts? i also read that making sure ur cooling lines are clear of any blockages by blowing it the lines. would i have any issues running 4s with the 36mm propers that are on the boat now i believe?

MAVIS
06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
as of a program card i have actually never used one. what does it do and what are the benifits from getting one

fleckster48
06-26-2012, 04:05 PM
...your welcome. As far as grease goes, any good medium weight marine grease would work. I use the blue Grimm Racer lube and it seems pretty good. I think the deal here is to provide good lubrication and protect against corrosion.

I run a blast of compressed air thru the cooling lines as there is allot of crap in the water this time of year.

If your going to run 4s, drop down to the 32mm props. That's been the advice of the folks on this board. Too much of a load on the motor and or ESC and something is going to smoke :( I need to put my GPS in the boat and see what kind of speed I can get out of her stock. I have a Venom CNC machined prop on the Miss Excite that I picked up for $33. For the KOS only the resin plastic ones. I'd really like to run something in between like a couple of two bladed 34's.

fleckster48
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM
The program card allows easier programming of the ESC's. You can use the transmitter method but its kind of a pain and the card is 10 bucks. I programmed in reverse as I use it if I pick up weeds. It allows for a number of different things like motor timing and cut off voltage.

MAVIS
06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
im excited to finally get this boat in the water. i am going to have to purchase a program card and probably some 32 mm props. not sure if the boat comes with it since its used. this is the card you used?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-hobbywing-led-programcard.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130661295679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_3003wt_1163

how do you have yours setup? timing, cut off etc

fleckster48
06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
...my set up is 0 degrees for timing and the cutoff voltage is 3.0v per cell for 3s batteries. It may be better to set it a little higher to keep battery temps down.